“Rude service”

Ranked #3 of 54 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Cuisines: European, British, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: This traditional tea rooms is situated opposite the famous Abbey and looks onto the bustling and unique centre of Glastonbury. The place is warm and friendly with a great selection on the menu. The menu ranges from freshly cooked breakfasts to light lunches such as jacket potatoes and sandwiches and hot specials including: pies, roast lunches, homemade soups, salads and other traditional meals. There is a good selection of drinks including a range of wines, beers, ciders, local juices and soft drinks and a wide range of teas and coffees. The staff here are very attentive and welcoming! They were very knowledgeable about the Tea Rooms and the food and it was good to hear that the ingredients used are local and the food is all homemade! The tea rooms is also open on Thursday & Friday evenings offering a range of meals including European and international dishes which differs from the day. There is also a live harpist playing which gives a fantastic atmosphere to the place! The menu caters for meat eaters, vegetarians, vegans and people with various allergies as does the day menu which also includes a gluten free breakfast and gluten and dairy free cakes! On Sundays there is a traditional roast lunch served and the restaurant is always well booked on this day. A different meat is served each week on a three weekly cycle together with roast chicken and a vegan nut roast. The meat is always local and the vegetables are fresh and seasonal. There is also a large selection of homemade hot and cold desserts served with local clotted cream or ice cream to finish off your meal. This lovely Tea Rooms offers everything one could have asked for. A welcoming atmosphere, lovely food and fantastic staff! The prices are very reasonable and one gets very good value for money and they even offer outside seating. The tea rooms offers an outside catering service and made decorated celebration cakes to order. This tea rooms is well wort a visit if you enjoy a good food and a friendly welcome.
Galway, Ireland
“Rude service”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Would've rated this higher if it weren't for how indifferent and cold the service was initially. I went here with my fiancee, and we both look several years younger than we are, so I suspect we were assumed to be stupid kids who weren't going to spend much money and who were going to be loud and rude. The service did improve across the meal, but I still had a sour taste in my mouth from the original treatment. Our waitress appeared to be the manager of the establishment. She seemed quite cross that I asked her what the special teas they had were (the menu had a listing for teas of the day) and I had to get up and walk across the dining room to discover what these even were as she stared at me with an annoyed look on her face. It made me feel weird and embarrassed and as if I didn't belong in the place.

The food itself was pretty good. I had chicken salad and was happy that it was neither dry nor overly burdened by mayo, and the bread it was served on was delicious and fresh. Not enough jam was brought with my scone, but I didn't dare ask lest I be subjected to poor treatment again. The tea was fine and not overbrewed, which is shockingly rare in tea rooms. The prices were also good.

As we were finishing up, a woman with two teenaged boys came in. I saw the process begin anew as they, too, were treated abruptly and with little care. Solid food for good prices is usually reason enough to return, but not with this sort of staff.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Damariscotta

SW, UK
“Gurt Lush!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We are local and consider ourselves very lucky that this little tea room serving traditional lunches and afternoon teas is on our doorstep. We had been away overnight and had planned on eating on the return journey. Arrived in Glastonbury and thought of the Abbey tea rooms as we had visited before and had enjoyed the experience. Not disappointed this time either. The egg mayo sandwich was delicious with plenty of filling and our cream teas absolutely delicious..........there is plenty of clotted cream served too! Traditional and done well from our experience.

• Visited March 2014
Florida
“Best food we had on our trip to the UK!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We visited the Abbey Tea Rooms on the recommendation of our tour guide. The food is simple and very good. My husband and I tried to order local specialties and were not disappointed. I am sure that the waitress thought we were crazy but we ordered local cider, cheddar cheese and Wiltshire ham sandwiches and a scone and clotted cream for dessert. The scone was the best thing that I have ever eaten. It was truly delicious and satisfying food. We really enjoyed it. The waitress was very nice and humored our silly decisions and it was a wonderful experience. Highly recommended!

• Visited December 2013
san antonio
“wonderful spot for lunch”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Great location in city center. Wonderful tea, sandwiches, and soup. The local cheese comes from nearby Cheshire and it is amazing, FYI for all cheese lovers!

Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“Quintessential England”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

As soon as you walk through the door, you know you're in a tea and cake lover's paradise. Everything home made, plus scones and clotted cream, make sure you arrive hungry.

Visited October 2013