“Nice for a retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 56 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
norcal
“Nice for a retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I brought a group of 6 here last October for a retreat and found the Daisy Centre to be a lovely space for our retreat. We booked the entire bed and breakfast and our participants were pleased with the retreat center. We stayed there a total of 5 nights and would have liked to have seen a bit more variety in the breakfast offerings. We loved using the retreat room in the garden and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paget, Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

We recently had a group of 10 touring through Glastonbury and Cornwall and selected Daisy Centre Retreat for our Glastonbury portion of the tour. It was perfect for our group. A peaceful sanctuary right in the middle of Glastonbury. So convenient!

Daisy, Paul and their staff couldn't do enough for us and were so welcoming and accommodating. We enjoyed the 'spiritual' aspect of the retreat in particular and definitely felt right at home. There is a wonderful 'energy' there and we were included, like family, in the spiritual events that took place whilst we stayed.

Thank you so much Daisy and Paul - I have a feeling that we will be back!
Angel Blessings.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlysonTuxworth
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Good points: spotlessly clean; gorgeous smell; lovely apple tree in the garden (check out the pic); Jan, who was really nice; other guests, I've never come across so many lovely people in a B&B.
Not so good points: The room (Azrael) was in the garden, the roof leaked (there was a huge pool on top of the wardrobe) and my clothes got wet. I was lucky that I had my electricals somewhere else or they would have been damaged. It seems a recurrent incident by reading other reviews. I could've washed my clothes for £5.00 but I decided to invest them in having a proper breakfast elsewhere. By proper, I mean generous. Although if you are in a diet, it may suit you. Everyone needs to lose a bit weight, at least I do, but not when I'm on holiday.
Bad points: No coffee/tea making facilities in the rooms. Required donation if you wanted a drink: £1.00 (only in the kitchen). Leaky roofs. The rooms in the garden are only separated by a door: You can hear whoever is in the other room and they can hear you.
There are other things in the eye of this beholder but I'm not going to bore you nitpicking.
In a nutshell, not very good value for money but an interesting and character-building experience nevertheless.

Room Tip: Avoid the garden rooms. Their roof leaks when it rains. So remembering that we're talking about...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank LievTolstoi
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

A smashing B&B in the heart of Glastonbury with angels all around! The room we had was very homely, very inspiring and in keeping with the town's ethos..Daisy was a perfect host and the garden was a true sanctuary...a lovely spot!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank baggybobbo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We visit the Daisy centre about four times a year and always have a wonderful time. The things we love about it are; comfortable, warm peaceful rooms, children friendly, we always meet brilliantly inspiring people, excellent location for going to events in and around Glastonbury. It's a great base for visiting all the local sites. It's also got wonderful energy great for clearing out your emotional system and allowing some personal reflection. My husband doesn't choose to participate in the spiritual offerings but there are lots of lovely local pubs that provide all the emotional healing he requires. Our favourite room is at the top of the house but when that's full we also enjoy the less expensive garden rooms, some of these have en suites and some don't, however there are plenty of facilites in the main house. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms offer different advantages - explain what sort of stay you would like on the phone...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lara M
West Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

On arrival receptions was very unwelcoming gave me a very cold look as if something had got up her nose and turned away. Then said something in a grumpy voice something but to be honest can’t remember what as it was like a grunt I said my name and that I was booked in. I had rather a large case that you think would have given it away. She then was more pleasant and showed me the room.

Ok then came the part showing me the room, now when I booked on line I booked one of the garden room, which turned out to be very disappointing as I was expecting an on suit. I was sure that Id booked Double room with on suit as advertised on the booking site. And the Garden rooms turned out to be nothing more than a lean twos done up and at the cost of £40 to £50 a night think is very expensive. (My nickname for them is a bed in a shed, which by the way the roof leaked later socking another guests clothes.) Now that is another story someone else in are party has elaborated on that just keep reading the reviews.

On entering the room I went to the door inside expecting to see the on suet but found it locked and was told that it was to the adjoining single room. I was then told that I would have to go actross the wet grass lawn to the main building for toilet facilities which turned out to be in what looked like there laundry room and general toilet facilities for staff and day visitors. Now in the night that was not a very nice prospect in the rain across a wet and slippery lawn and having to unlock doors and take of shoes before making my way to the said laundry room just of the reception area.

I complain that the accommodation was not what Id expected and was not happy with the room.
I was then offered a room in the main building up two flights of stair, now I do have a problem with my legs and find it hard to clime stair, but excepted it as it was better that the shed, and had toilet and wash basin. I thought it was a swap but they told me it would cost £15 pounds a night more. I didn’t argue as I was tired after a 5 hour journey on national transport. But it left a bitter taste. Later I found that the room had no lock inside and no way of locking it when I went out. I asked about it and I was just told that no one would go up there. On reading their information sheet they say they take no responsibility to stolen items.
Now I did see that it had two eye hooks at the top of the door one in the frame and one on the door so it looked like it did have a padlock but it was not offered to me Now there was a small bolt inside but it didn’t have a return on the frame to go in to and so at night I had to put wedges and stool by the door to stop it opening, and to make me fell secure. As to leaving the room unattended when I was out I found a lock of my own to secure it with, which I was later confronted about as they didn’t have a key so the cleaner could get in. I told them don’t wont or need my room cleaned everyday I always opt out of this, such a waist of energy. They then presented me with a padlock to use.
Now the bed was very comfortable and I did have a lovely sleep when I got used to not having a lock on the door was told because it had glass panels was the reason no locks?

The breakfast was very boring the cooked breakfast was scrambled egg and one piece of toast, no alternative there was also yoghurt and fruit plus Cornflakes or a continental breakfast very basic.
We all changed into slipper before entering the main building.
Ok I can live with that no problem I just wish my husband and son would do that at home lol. White walls and carpets everywhere making it feel very cold and reminded me of a hospital.
The owner was preoccupied with cleaning, and made you feel very uncomfortable complaining about walking dirt in. A warm friendly atmosphere would have been better. several others were unhappy with the way they were treated also.

And I’m still perplex as how my online booking change from the one I thought id booked and expected to a different one?
Do the room names change around or have they been changed? Is the information not correct on the booking site?

The rate for the rooms high and the washing facilities very poor. The bed in a shed, charging way too much for but was told they are cheep rooms.
Would I stay there again no

Room Tip: There is only one on suit room the others seem to change around there is door linking one other bed...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank whitchofthewest
Plymouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have just returned from staying at the Daisy centre for one night. I was there with some friends for a spiritual workshop so it seemed to make sense to stay there.

One of the ladies on the workshop had been allocated the room in the garden with the shared toilet facilities, but when she got there, was told that she would have to use the shower and toilet in the house (which actually doubles as the laundry room and public loo!) This lady is of advancing years and if she had needed to use the loo in the night, would have had to cross the garden in the dark in her nightie and slippers and then manage to use keys to open doors. She objected and was given a room in the main house at the very top of the stairs and this room had a loo and wash basin, but no shower. She agreed to take it and was then informed that it would cost and extra £15 per night! There was no lock on the door either and the owners of the Daisy Centre take no responsibility for any personal items when left in the rooms.

Another of the group was given one of the garden rooms which do look just like a lean-to against the perimeter garden wall. There had been rain overnight and the roof leaked, marking some of his clothes. When he enquired about being able to get them washed, was told he could use the washing machine for £5! No caring offer as to what the Daisy centre might be able to do to help him ....

Food and drink are not permitted in the rooms. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms and if you do want a drink, you have to go into the kitchen to make it and you have to leave a donation. There is a huge variety of teas on offer.

I stayed in the Merlin room which does have en-suite shower room. The room would make a lovely single room, but is really too small to be a twin room. However the bed was comfortable and the room immaculately clean.

Everywhere is white and you must take off your shoes at the door. There was consternation when muddy footprints were discovered on the white bath mats which cover most of the cream carpets in the public areas. Daisy was quite rude about this to another friend who happened to be there and said that it was one of our party who gone up the stairs again in her boots! Fortunately she was shown that the boots belonging to the accused were in the hallway and had never been worn in the house.

Breakfast is very disappointing too. Continental breakfast includes one small croissant and a slice of toast. Cooked breakfast means one scrambled egg with two slices of toast. There is stewed fruit and cereals available, along with butter , jam and marmalade etc. Tea is served by the mugful, no offer of a teapot and cup and saucer.

Parking in the local car park is £5.40 for over 4 hours and your car has to be moved within any 24 hour period. Charges apply between 9am and 6pm. I was just about to start my cooked breakfast when Daisy reminded us about needing to re-new the parking for the day. On the plus side, when I returned to my breakfast, it had been freshly made again rather than letting it go cold or being kept in the oven.

There are large black and white framed photographs of stone angels and other art work throughout the house on the walls which are for sale for over generally with a price tag of over£300, which I thought was just a tad ambitious !

Workshop facilities are not great as the room is a fairly large garden summer house, but was filled by our group of 15. Tea and coffee is provided once in the morning. After that, you can make your own drinks in the kitchen, provided that you make a donation , and this was made clear more than once during the two days we were there . Again, shoes were not permitted in this building which was cold in the morning but heated with portable heaters and too hot in the afternoon in the sunshine. The chairs were small and uncomfortable.

My lasting impression of this retreat is that it is a grasping concern which prays upon peoples vulnerability and gullibility. I certainly would not describe it as a caring , warm and friendly place to stay. I visit Glastonbury three or four times a year, but this is the first and last time I will stay in this place.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the garden rooms which are little more than a lean to built against the perimeter wal...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends