“Affordable, Friendly Staff & 2 Decent Rooms in a Prime Glastonbury Location - what more do you need?” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glastonbury Backpackers

Glastonbury Backpackers
Northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We secured these rooms for 2 nights as 2 single occupants for £25 each per night, paying £10 deposit to book via a girl called Tegan - we booked for a Tuesday and Wednesday stay; total cost £100. We arrived and everything had been processed correctly. We filled in one form which took 5 minutes – oh, remember your driving license or some other form of photo ID, that’s important! …and off we went, unpacked and went back out to climb the “Tor”.

I stayed in the "George" room and my mate stayed in the "Victoria" room. Both rooms were incredible value for money (when you consider the other local pubs and the prices that they are charging) with the only difference being that the "George" room had a wardrobe.
The showers worked just fine and you have a sink and mirror with generous hand / shower cream. I also had 2 bath towels and a hand towel – not sure if that’s standard but was great! There was enough free coffee and tea to last me 2 nights. As it was warm being able to open the window fully was a plus. The bed was comfortable enough with 4 pillows. The rooms were key-coded and so was the external door - so that you can come in anytime you please. There is a communal area (which was used for the refurbished “Loft” Pizza restaurant – now shut down) for residents to relax in. There are large tables, a sofa and good cooking facilities just next door. Toilets are shared.

We enjoyed having a drink in the evenings sitting outside watching the “Glastonbury” world go by – other residents were friendly. When you got chatting to the bar staff they were very pleasant, friendly and keen to help or just chat, Amber was a great lively girl and a good addition to the staff there after the Management change.

In the morning, the cleaners were always working hard. The Road is swept outside daily - which is more than can be said for other venues! The public toilets were better than a previous visit and the single men’s toilet now has a “door” on it – this wasn’t the case before. The inside of the Crown is pretty vast, décor a little flaky but ok, remember you aren’t paying the £60-£80 per person per night charges that other places are.

It wasn’t noisy at all (we did stay mid-week, so can’t comment about the weekends) although I am guessing it will be busy Friday through to Sunday night with some loud music and late night events – but then that’s great if that’s what you want. If you want it peaceful, book through the week!

Anyhow, hope that helps anyone looking for cheap, friendly accommodation in the heart of Glastonbury. It was a great couple of nights, cheers once again to the “Crown”…

Mark & Pete, 2 nights, 06.08.2013 - 07.08.2013

Room Tip: Ring up & speak directly to someone there. The online booking does not allow you to book 2 room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kubiszyn
Robin K M, Owner at Glastonbury Backpackers, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We are all very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Glastonbury, Tegan & Amber were both pleased that you have very kindly left some positive comments as are the cleaners Jackie & team! We are all working hard to improve the business, service and ourselves. Thank you again for your review. Best regards Robin.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

As soon as my friend and I arrived we were welcomed by a friendly member of staff, who checked us and answered our questions we had.
We were very pleasantly surprised, the room was clean and had ample space for luggage etc. Very clean bedding and comfortable mattress.
We were located on second floor, stairs are steep but that's to be expected with the age of the building. Showers were good and plenty of hot water, toilets were located on first floor they always had hand soap and toilet roll replenished.
The communal areas are spacious, we met lots of people who were staying there on a longer term basis. They were polite and friendly and really made us feel at home.
On Saturday evening there is music downstairs, friendly bar staff and a relaxed friendly atmosphere. Music does go on till late, but we didn't mind as expected this before we arrived.
On Sunday evening there was 'Karaoke' lots of people joining in, a very entertaining evening and was disappointed when it finished.
You have to check out by 10.30am, we wanted to spend the rest of the day in Glastonbury, Staff behind the bar were more than happy to lock up our luggage away safe until we collected it later.

My overall experience of The Crown was superb and I can't wait to go back there in December. I would definitely recommend to family and friends. Thank you to all staff and owner for such a welcoming and good weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you had fun with us and enjoyed your stay, thank you for being a positive & fun input in our backpackers and Glastonbury. We are working hard to improve ourselves and it is pleasing to get positive feedback. We all look forward to seeing you again. Best regards Robin.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I've stayed in lots of hostels in my time but this ranks amongst the worst.
Admittedly it's very cheap so I guess it's true that you get what you pay for.
I had been in touch with the hostel before to ask about storing our bikes as I was cycling with a friend. I'd been advised a shed or storage would be available. When we arrived and the guy at the bar finally stopped his phone conversation, we were told the best place to store the bikes would be in our rooms.
The rooms were basic. We were twin occupancy in a 3 bed dorm - there was one bunk and the 3rd bed appeared to be a futon/pallet on the floor. Still I kept reminding myself that it was cheap - all we wanted was a bed and that we had.
The showers however were disgusting! I couldn't believe they were actually intended for public use as at first I thought the shower room was the laundry storage or undergoing some kind of renovation.
I would not stay here again and I would not recommend it, even if you were trying to save money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank LMacN
Thank you for your review, we are sorry you feel unhappy about certain things. Firstly I don't know who you spoke to but we do not have a shed! Most people are happy bringing their bikes into the cafe or for better security the communal areas upstairs. I understand you didn't feel this was secure enough for your bikes therefore the only other option was to keep them in your room. The room is obviously a 2 bed room with a futon as a chair which is used as an extra option (£10 night) if requested or needed. The shower room is used for some laundry, from your pictures it was obviously a change over day with our laundry company and there is quite a lot to return & receive on that day, normally not too intrusive and we apologise for this. The showers are cleaned every day and have been redecorated recently. Your review does sadden us, we are working hard to improve ourselves and our service and would hope that if you did stay with us again in the future you will see improvements. Best regards Robin.

Travellers are raving about these Glastonbury hotels

Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

My only expectations were a roof and a bed. I had read the reviews, so really wasn’t expecting much more. However on a Sunday afternoon on arrival we were the only two in the bar I found the staff to be rude, unhelpful, hostile, with bad attitudes, really un-welcoming. I have stayed at many hostels, this is one of the worst.

The ginger guy behind the bar really couldn’t be bothered, it was like my friend and I were just getting in the way of him larkin about and doing what he wanted. The hippy girl had a hell of an attitude, how they are both in gainful employment is beyond me. They had a complete lack of authenticity, charm, personality, charisma, enthusiasm, manners, positive energy and people skills I was disappointed. Sometimes if a place is [--] it doesn’t matter if the people are good. There are some good points in the bar. Some nice touches like pretty lights and some hand painted signs on the walls, and nice seating areas, the building is large and has loads of potential. Perhaps its the clientele that has stopped it developing as it could have done.

To be fair on the plus side the bedding for the accommodation was clean, and there was hand soap both in the kitchen and the toilets, it would have been usefull if the window in the toilet had opened, but at least it had a window. There was a guy in a shirt and tie he was walking around the accommodation maybe he was a manager, maybe he was the owner, he certainly didn’t do much to say hello and welcome us as we were in his care. Unfortunately he walked straight past tables and chairs he could have straightened and overflowing kitchen bin. Lots of light bulbs that didn’t work dirty windows etc, just a general feel of neglect. Clearly it wasn’t his job or he didn’t give a [--].

Unfortunately I left a pizza in the kitchen to cool down but it had disappeared by the time I got back. Not the fault of the hostel I know, but just the whole vibe of don’t give a [--]. We sat outside for a beer next to the monuments right outside of the pub. Where some drunken female mess and her aggressive male friend literally pushed us out the way so they could beat their dog up, with aggressive punches! The woman certainly looks the part of an authentic liberated, enlightened spiritual soul, at first glance, but unfortunately as it transpired she was almost certainly an unemployed mess living off our fabulous nanny state, she was aggressive an intimidating, and contributed nothing to the heart of Glastonbury on a weekend daytime. She later was attended by the police, (should have been more of a presence!) but they did nothing, she continued to be a nuisance all night and was sat in the middle of the pavement first thing in the morning, with a massive chip on her shoulder and an attitude from hell. I think she was begging. This again has nothing to do the hostel, but a more vigilant & caring staff might have done something to help her get moved on from outside of their pub. She was Glastonbury’s ANTI tourism ambassador. There were also people begging on the streets. Certainly on the day I went to Glastonbury town centre it was a mess. It is with regret that I have to say my opinion it is a backward, one horse, unfriendly place. I was hoping to find some cool, friendly, positive, well balanced & aware people, but this wasn’t to be. Glastonbury festival is one thing, and Glastonbury town centre is another thing. I saw some older German visitors in the day time, and I’m sure they must have been wondering how we managed to win two world wars. I’m fairly sure that the older generations would turn in their grave if they saw the state of towns like this.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bob k
Robin K M, Owner at Glastonbury Backpackers, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are very sad to hear that you had a bad experience here in Glastonbury. I apologise for the unfriendly service you received it is unacceptable from our staff and not the standards we expect from them, we are holding staff training meetings to ensure this does not happen. The gentleman in shirt and tie is another guest like yourself and has nothing to do with the running of the Hostel. Sorry to hear about your pizza disappearing act, it is an unfortunate reality of hostel life that not everyone has the same morals, sadly.
We find the rest of your comments about Glastonbury a very sad fact, whilst the incident you spoke of is by far from a daily occurrence, there can be some problems with 'undesirables' in the town and we do have a lack of Policing in the area. Clearly the last we want is these troubled people hanging around our business, but being directly in the center of town by the monument unfortunately this is where they like to 'hang around' and we have to deal with them as best we can, outside of our licensed area, (basically once moved off our tables), they are in the public domain and outside of our control. We do call the Police when needed but as you saw sometimes they do not deal with the situation, (if the Police can't move them on, how do you expect us to!?). Glastonbury is a lovely, interesting & diverse town with mainly really nice & interesting people. Please try not to judge us by the sad few whose only purpose in life is to be negative & miserable. I would also suggest your opinions on Glastonbury should be on the town page, not the hostels. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review though.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

If your planning a reasonably quiet restful weekend away ...cross the crown off your list ..although there were notices at the check in desk saying no noise in the corridors after 10.30pm a thumping disco and band held in the bar downstairs til 2.30am did not seem to count. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the noise was ridiculously loud and the furniture even vibrated. Our friends on the 2nd floor found it even noiser.
That was on the Friday night and on the Saturday same level of noise and more noise of departing people going on til even later still.
We didnt stay for the Kareoke which was to be on the Sunday night ...
In saying all this the staff are friendly and helpful and if you are a night club person and want to join in it would be great fun i am sure
When we complained the management were helpful

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank roughguide1234
Robin K M, Owner at Glastonbury Backpackers, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for your review. We are a very busy, fun bar open until 2.30am with loud music on the weekends, fabulous fun if you join in! But we are quite open with people that if you're after a quiet & peaceful bed then unfortunately we are not for you. The late bar & loud music are usually only at the weekends & it is generally quiet Monday to Thursday, remembering that our main business is the bar so sometimes, ie. someones birthday or other occasion we may have the music up louder in the week for this, we always try to help our guests where we can, but our main business being the bar downstairs unfortunately, sometimes we cannot please everyone.
Many thanks again for your review.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I had a great stay in this friendly hostel with helpful staff. Good atmosphere with nice communal space. As warned it can be noisy on a weekend, so if you're a light sleeper bring earplugs. But it's only the sound of people having fun as its a bustling pub beneath.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Robin K M, Owner at Glastonbury Backpackers, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you for your stay and review. Hope to see you again soon.
Brixham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

We had a family room at the Backpackers. It is a brilliant location right in the heart of Glastonbury and is affordable and basic accommodation. Our room was sufficiently comfortable and clean and we had no worries staying there with our 5 year old. But be prepared that the pub downstairs is busy and noisy at weekends!
The food upstairs in The Loft pizzeria was really excellent, with locally sourced quality ingredients. The pizza menu is interesting and you can also have gluten and diary free pancakes or lamb or venison burgers. There are some nice side dishes and excellent drink choices up here too, including unusual options such as local mead or cider.
The Loft is really chilled with candlelight and suits the Glastonbury atmosphere well, we would definitely eat there again and would stay again midweek.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Meare Manor
#1 of 56 in Glastonbury
Sacred Garden Retreat
Sacred Garden Retreat
#7 of 19 in Glastonbury

Been to Glastonbury Backpackers? Share your experiences!