“Very disappointing meal.”

Dining options: Reservations
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing meal.”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stop at this pub for Fish and Chips on a Friday night in October, and having read the reviews thought we could be sure of some decent fresh food.
We were wrong. We were served two identical wedge shaped flat pieces of reconstituted fish in a leathery batter shell. The chips as it happens were excellent hence the 2 stars.
I challenged the owner of the pub who assured me that the fish was fresh and locally sourced. I'm sorry but a lifetime (I'm 64 ) of fish and chips at least once a month has taught me to recognize the difference between fresh flaky cod and a reconstituted fishy fibre. I just don't believe her.
I have had those shaped fishy things before, 5 years ago in a Little Chef on the A303. I didn't eat it then either, and I think I have seen them for sale in Iceland.
So no points for the wordt fish and chips in Somersett!

• Visited October 2013

poole dorset
“Lovely old pub.”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Lovely ambience and food when it came was very good. Very slow service though. Thought the wine was over priced.

• Visited November 2013
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Grub”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Went for Sunday lunch, very good service, very friendly, and great food just what you want, they even allow dogs in some areas, they have a good range of drinks including non alcoholic for the driver will go again whenever I'm in the area.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank 462dianem
Wells, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Had a meal here (no stay), tasty food and varied menu with good value for money. The staff were very professional and attentive and the atmosphere was just right! A really good find and would love to go back soon.

• Visited September 2013
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I have had the pleasure of eating here on many occasion, both in large and small groups, and have always felt well catered for.

Although the prices are a little higher than average, the quality of food more than makes up for it. The desserts in particular are fantastic, and the steaks are also really good.

Staff have always been attentive when I've been there, although I think some of the younger members of staff perhaps lack the experience to deliver a level of service that other people might expect, but I find fine, as the food and cosiness are great. One of my favourite eateries in Somerset.

• Visited August 2013