“Very Nice!,”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Very Nice!,”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Lovely & welcoming, staff very friendly. We stayed in Room 7 Abbot Whiting, wasnt really spooky and had the most uncomfortable bed ever!! But the bathroom was lovely! Lots of noise in the street below, a terrible snorer next door ! Didnt see one ghost! But I love Glasto & will go back again.

1 Thank Pauline D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Was hoping to get a room with more character, but we had a clean room with all you need for a night or two. Bed was a bit warped and the fire escape that ran between the bedroom and bathroom was a little surreal, but overall it was quiet and comfortable.
We also chose this place because they took our booking for a room big enough for 3 adults.
The building itself has much character, going down to the pub for a nightcap was interesting and had a great atmosphere.
Breakfast was quick and basic, really not that great compared to the awesome food we have had in other places in Glastonbury, but it will do for a quick bite to start your day.
Convenient, quick and easy check in/out, would probably try another place to stay on my next visit but would also recommend this to others if they wish to stay right in town in a really cool looking old building.

1 Thank Yoga D
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have stayed in quite a few places in Glastonbury, some good and some not so good!
The house keepers were wonderful, made sure we had fresh towels and topped up the biscuits every morning.
I never had an evening meal there but the breakfast was excellent and piping hot.
We stayed in room number 7 which was meant to be haunted so didn't get much sleep! Also the bed felt quite lumpy.
There was a lot of noise from the High street at night but that was to be expected.
Would definitely stay again, maybe next year :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank willowmoon07
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The George & Pilgrim Completely messed up my booking! I booked for a 3 night stay When I arrived I was told they had me down for 4nights, this appeared to be corrected. On the 3rd day at lunch time I go up to my room to freshen up and to my horror the housekeepers in the room inform me they have been told to pack up my things as there is a new guest arriving soon. I go straight to the manageress who blames `the new girl` on the day I arrived for messing up the booking, taking no responsibility even though she was clearly present at the time. I`m Informed there is a new arrival so I will have to vacate the room even though it isn`t my fault and the room has been doublebooked. The manageress called a `friend`s b&b` which of course was fully booked on such a busy weekend so rather than rectifying the mistake by cancelling the new arrival I was told I still had to leave. I am disgusted I was treated this way and the way it was handled. I received more help and support from the housekeepers who had been put in an awful situation and kindly directed me to a couple of local B&B`s to go to. A huge thanks to them for being so kind, caring and helpful.
The housekeepers were very supportive and made the room spick and span. Maybe the manageress needs to swap places! I felt like I had stayed at fawlty towers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank EAD33

Travellers are raving about these Glastonbury hotels

London
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend in Glastonbury and decided to have dinner at the G&Ps due to reputation. The place itself is fantastic and well worth going into for a drink - beautiful, old and full of atmosphere. That's probably it's one plus point. I found the staff behind the bar unfriendly and dismissive and the food was very disappointing and over priced. I can't comment on the rooms as didn't stay. Definitely worth going into for a drink and look around but I'd suggest booking dinner elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Holzfrog
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2013

What a wonderful, quirky hotel and what an awesome experience staying here. This hotel was built in the 1400's and every quirky detail has been retained from the crooked walls & ceiling (they certainly didn't have a plumb line in the 1400's)! All the rooms are named after some of the famous people who made up the history of this hotel such as King Henry VIII, Abbot Whitting (the 1st Abbot of Glastonbury), Monks Cell, Nuns Cell,etc. We stayed in room 7 (Abbott Whitting) & it was in the oldest part of the hotel on the 3rd floor. It was a large room with plenty of room for our family of 4 and the bathroom was nicely updated.

The only unfortunate part of our stay at The George & Pilgrims Hotel was we think the mattress was original to the room - completely uncomfortable & you could feel every spring gouging into your back all night.

However, it was well worth the stay in such a historical, quirky hotel.

1 Thank momxtwo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This old pub and hotel dates back to the 1400s, and has a great, medieval feel.

The staff were all very friendly. We were concerned about some of the negative reviews on staff, but from check in to check out, all the staff were incredibly nice. We've read there was a recent change of ownership, which may be related.

The breakfast was included in our stay, and was quite nice. We had a dinner one night down in the pub, and while it was busy, the food was decent and served in a reasonable time.

We stayed in the Abbot Selwood room, which was large and had a four-poster bed. The room itself was fantastic and from the floor plans seemed to be larger than others, many thanks to the receptionist who upgraded us to the larger room on check-in! Some of the furniture was centuries old, and the floors were clearly uneven--but this all added to the lustre and allure of the place, in my opinion. The bathroom was completely modern. Not the cleanest place (there was a dead spider, belly up in the bedside table, clearly bit the bullet quite a while ago, the poor fella), but in general acceptable.

You can't beat the location, and it doesn't get more authentic than the George and Pilgrims!

Don't stay here if you want a spotless, modern hotel. Definitely stay here if you want to revisit ye olden days of yore!

Room Tip: Room 3, the Abbot Selwood room, is awesome.