“expensive stay”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
Hong Kong, China
“expensive stay”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Despite the historic building and environment, it is quite expensive to stay in. Besides, no on-site parking caused a bit trouble to customers. Quite strange that no food is provided in Sunday evenings, so we had to dine out.

Nonetheless, the breakfast was nice and served politely.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank toahkwan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I visited the George recently with my wife an friends. We were well impressed by the historic building (1452 I believe) and received a warm welcome from the bar staff. The beers on show at the time included Otter and Tribute which were well kept. Our party had a range of food from the extensive menu including two types of homemade pie which were delicious. The only down side to our visit was that the food service was a bit slow considering that not many customers were dining.
But, in fairness to the staff, we didn't say anything as we were in no rush.
In all, an enjoyable visit to an historical gem.

Room Tip: Although we only had a meal during our visit I could see that the hotel provided a number of histori...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kirky99
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My partner and I had lunch here on Monday. I can honestly say it was the worst food we have ever had in a pub.I had the roast pork, which was sold as roast loin of pork with apple sauce and crackling..neither of which appeared. I asked the waitress where they were and she returned with a small dish with 3pieces of floppy fat..disgusting. My partner had the cottage pie..after a 40 minute wait it finally arrived. It was dry and inedible. I did mention it to the waitress but she was not interested.
What a shame that tourists are coming to visit this beautiful building but judging English food on the food served here...if you are thinking of eating here,dont,better go up the road and get a pasty from "Burns the bread''.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank haro k

Travellers are raving about these Glastonbury hotels

barnsley
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well it was an experience... not one we will repeat in a hurry ,, but an experience just the same.. First impressions ..I dont like paying car parking fees when I stay at a hotel...I secondly dont like paying up front for the room...The hotel was very grubby.. and having to run the gauntlet of smokers sat outside is something i detest..As most people comments report the breakfasts are a disaster.. It would have been nice to have a choice of fresh fruit or cold meats...the tables were too close together.. the sausages have never seen meat... the butter was thrown onto the table like a couple of dice.... not good... and we were expected to pay £89 for this... Not for us.. as for Glastonbury the get ready to visit the 60s... we felt like we had been transported in time... as I said earlier an expierience... wow man!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BarnsleyRaiders
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I booked in through necessity I would never stop here again, I booked a single room £89.00 which was at least £50.00 more than it was worth.
I booked Room 11 (a bad move as it's right over the noisy courtyard) the shower had mould in the shower tray the Room was very poorly furnished 1 tiny wardrobe a small desk and a TV I could not switch on.
The car park is pathetic (if you can find it) spaces for 3 cars (often filled by staff) overall despite its claims to be the oldest hotel it's.still needs updating.
On the plus side staff are ok good location but that's all I can find as the good points. If you want a relaxing break look elswhere.
No lift rubbish decor and creaky floors (maybe that's the haunted bit)
Overall despite the favourable reviews by warned.
I will say that I am not a fussy person and this is my first review so I hope it gives you fair warning

Room Tip: I only used room 11 so it would be unfair to cone the rest
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Arwyn T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here one night with my husband as I was going to a meeting in Glastonbury the next day. The reviews I read before we went were really offputting and I was dreading it a bit - but wanted to stay here for the history and atmosphere of the building.

When we arrived the young lady from reception who was also running the bar, was outside having a cigarette and I thought we were going to get the offhand service described in so many of the reviews! BUT I was wrong! She was actually very helpful and very friendly and quickly directed us to the parking area ( we ended up paying for the car park at the back of the hotel which was fine). check-in was easy and we met more of the staff - all fine. I think that Glastonbury people are just like Glastonbury - laid back and chilled but just because they are not over enthusiastic and falling over themselves to help you doesnt mean they are not willing to be helpful.

Anyway we stayed in a huge room with a big four poster bed at the front of the building. It was brilliant and I loved it! The most comfortable bed ever. Yes the decor in the bathroom may be a bit dated but it's an ancient building - it was clean and had a brilliant shower and a huge bath. We both absolutely loved the room and thought it was really good value for money.

Breakfast was the only thing that let this stay down and is the only reason I only gave it 3/5 in this review. It was a breakfast that had been cooked long before we were awake and it was horrible. However as we only paid £89 for the night for the room and breakfast for 2 people it didnt matter to me.

Overall I loved the George and Pilgrim and would stay again definately!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mabel1348
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

the building is great the food bit expensive for what you get .the staff was bit offhand maybe a bad day eh but as reading the reviews as well the staff need a revamp to more friendly ones the owner is lovely .very polite

Room Tip: expensive could find better at cheaper price more of a couples place not family location
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank David E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Meare Manor
#1 of 1 in Wookey Hole
The Covenstead Glastonbury
The Covenstead Glastonbury
#1 of 52 in Glastonbury

Been to George and Pilgrims Hotel? Share your experiences!