“Great service with the new owners!”

George and Pilgrims Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great service with the new owners!”
Reviewed 12 January 2006

Had the opportunity to stay in this incredible castle-like hotel in early December of '05. The ownership had changed 3 days prior to our stay, so whatever terrible things other people had to say about the service is NOT true now. The new owners were more than happy to help us in every way possible, and fed us the most fabulous breakfast in the morning. The rooms were gorgeous, and the history phenomenal. I highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 November 2005

I stayed in The George and Pilgrims for one night and was very excited to be staying in such a wonderful building. The prospect of ghosts made it even better. We stayed in Henry 8th, a double four postered room. It had a disappointingly small shower room attached to the bedroom.

Unfortunately there were no spectres visiting in the night and in the morning we had to leave by 8.30. We had been assured by a very helpful receptionist the evening before that breakfast was served between 8 and 9.30am. At 8am and until 8.25, when we left, the hotel was deserted, apart from a woman trying to open her shop and another guest hoping to check out. The kitchen was also deserted, and the toilets were left uncleaned from the night before.

The other guest and my partner and I had to leave. We left the keys outside the locked reception, and I left a note asking to be contacted prior to taking my credit card payment.

I did not hear from the George and pilgrims, and even after a letter from myself to them i still await an apology. When charging over £100 a night, including breakfast, I do think some service in the morning can be expected.

This hotel has a massive amount of untapped potential, but i would say that at the moment all it is is a very interesting building that has become a pub with rooms.

Quality hotel it is not.

Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Glastonbury hotels

Uk
Reviewed 17 October 2005

We had a wonderful weekend in Glastonbury, shame about this awful hotel! The receptionist who we checked in with was very helpful but it went downhill from there. For £65 we weren't expecting much - we definitely weren't expecting the main fire exit route for our floor to run through our bathroom! The bed was extremely uncomfortable and one of the springs popped out and cut my partners leg. As for breakfast I've never experienced such bad service. We were served by someone who complained of having no sleep due to all night partying, she was not in the mood or in any fit state to be serving customers. No wonder our sausages and toast were burnt to a crisp! We then had to search for someone to check us out, we couldn't wait to get out of there. The only positive is it's great location slap bang in the centre, other than that I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2005

Well, it was two years ago that we stayed here,but the details are very fresh in my mind because of the strangeness of the experience. As soon as I saw the George and Pilgrim from the bus, I wanted to stay there. It looks so amazing with its ancient architecture. We had a cursory look at other places to stay in Glastonbury,but the choices are very limited even when you are prepared to pay more than budget prices.

So the George and Pilgrim had a room available. It had a name, the Abbot something or other room. It was an ok size, with an attached bathroom. I thought it was clean and a plus was, it had a tea maker with bikkies (cookies). The furniture was circa 1920's. The floor was uneven. We had a tiny mullioned window. The problem was it was freezing. This was in damp October. The room had a radiator,but it wasn't working. So at night we went to bed early. not to snuggle because the beds were single.There was no double available unfortunately. At least it wasn't our honeymoon.{giggles]

Well there was something in that room a spirit of some sort. We were there 3 nights. On the first night,I opened my eyes in the dark to see a blue circle of light... The other nights, there was a strong sense of not being alone. My husband, who sometimes seems to be the most unimaginative and practical man on the planet, did not object when I said lets keep the bathroom light on all night so that the room wasn't pitch dark. We travel a lot, all over the world. I have never wanted to keep a light on ever, except here where it seemed imperative that we did!!!

I took a photo in that room of my husband. Well it also has a strange blob of light that wasn't there when I took the photo with a perfectly good camera. So all in all it was an experience.

The breakfast was not great, served by a wench who would rather be joking with good looking laddies no doubt, judging by the enthusiam with which we were served.

Still we went to Glastonbury or I did anyway for the strange and mystical and the George an Pilgrim had those qualities as much as the Tor or the abbey. I am quite sure the medieval pilgrims had very uncomfy journies so in that way, the George and Pilgrim remains an authentic pilgrim hotel!

• Stayed October 2003
5 Thank kate18
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 8 September 2005

Most reviewers seem to have loved or hated this hotel: I fall into neither camp. Luxury it ain't, and yes, it's certainly in need of some TLC. Rooms aren't large for the price, nor well-equipped, and service was a bit off-hand. But, on the other hand, the building is marvellous, and I certainly don't regret the experience of staying in a charming and perfectly-located place that has been looking after pilgrims for the past 540 years!

Incidentally, since staying there we have learned from a website that it's supposed to be one of the most haunted places in Britain! But we saw nothing untoward.

• Stayed September 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Meare Manor
#1 of 53 in Glastonbury
Glastonbury Townhouse
Glastonbury Townhouse
#3 of 53 in Glastonbury

Been to George and Pilgrims Hotel? Share your experiences!