“Disappointing...”

The Orangerie Brasserie and Patisserie
Cuisines: Contemporary
Description: We had a fantastic lunch here - far surpassed the other cafes in the area. They have a large and comfortable seating area with lots of tables. It should definitely be on here. Here's another link I found - must have only opened within the last year:http://www.glastonburypeople.co.uk/shopping/specialist-foods/Orangerie/business-10344766-detail/business.html
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I'm sad to say that although my earlier review was completely sincere, I've since revisited and had a disappointing time. I took a party of 8 people to the restaurant for dinner early in January. Service was slow (there were only 10 customers in total, so it shouldn't have been a problem) and there were some things that would have surprised me even if we'd just walked off the street, not booked and confirmed well in advance as we did. We were offered bread...it came...limp brown ready-sliced supermarket bread. Not exactly what you'd expect in a 'brasserie and patisserie' in Glastonbury of all places, where it couldn't be easier to buy good bread even if you can't bake it yourself. We had a main course which was OK, some choices better than others. When I asked for the dessert menu I was told there wasn't one, 'because we haven't really got any desserts, what with it being after Christmas and New Year' (it was two weeks after Christmas, actually and again, they DID know we were coming) but the waiter could offer us cake from the glass case. To be fair the cakes are nice but I didn't want to eat a slice of cake for dessert, so after some head-scratching the waiter suggested he could probably get me vanilla ice cream and pancakes. They came and were better than nothing but they were the sort of thing I might make at home. Some of my party had come a long way (from Devon and from Gloucestershire) for an annual get-together, and I had invited them to a restaurant with sliced bread and no dessert menu. Talk about embarrassing... Sorry, Orangerie, I was a real fan of yours after my first meal but this was such a let-down.

3  Thank Glastonian

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Went for evening meal. Place is very spacious and relaxing but food was dissapointing and not worth the price.

1  Thank dhalbhat
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I had lunch with a friend. The staff were exceptionally warm and friendly, the decor was tasteful, the food was delicious. There weren't many people in there and I think this may be because there's so much competition and you can't see how nice the Orangerie is just by looking in the window. I really hope people will give it a try because there are inferior cafes in Glastonbury that are doing more business, which is a pity. I'm local and I've eaten in most of them and I've rarely had such good food and good service as here. I've rated it 4 for atmosphere but only because it's quiet. Given more customers, it would be 5.

1  Thank Glastonian
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We went to the Orangerie with our toddler and had a great time! The cafe looks lovely and has a very nice staff. They made a couple of special little dishes for our child while we had tea and appetizers. The food was FANTASTIC and we felt very welcome. Had to snag some desserts on the way out because they looked awesome and were cheap (less than a pound!) A fantastic cafe/restaurant in Glastonbury!

1  Thank Nicole_SC