“Our one night special getaway”
Review of Meare Manor

Meare Manor
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
BURNHAM ON SEA
“Our one night special getaway”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Well booked a room at Meare Manor after trolling the net for a couple of hours.We were given the Merlin room which really could have done with Merlin;s magic,The decor is dated but in good condition,We only had a few problems which could have been rectified with more attention to detail,The loo sometimes took three to four times to flush and at night you just want to get back to bed not stand in the loo lol,The wall between the adjoining room must have been made of paper as the people next door were talking a little loud and certain sounds were heard that should not have been heard if you get what I mean LOL for those who don't know what (LOL ) means it means laugh out loud,Two other problems were the teapot had old tea bags in on arrival,And one of the pillow cases were badly stained,The breakfast was excellant and the overall experience was pretty good,Oh nice dining room pity they did not offer a better menu choice for the evening

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank graham s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I'm an American ex-pat who travels frequently and was excited to visit Glastonbury. We heard about Meare Manor and thought it sounded nice from the various reviews online. We looked on several websites via Trip Advisor and found that there were two Standard Double rooms left. My husband called the reception there at the hotel and kindly asked if we could bring our toddler with us as he could easily sleep in a double bed in the room (we do this all the time when we travel in France and the rest of Europe with no problem). The woman who answered the phone was the rudest person I think I have ever heard in my life, said there were no rooms (despite there being rooms listed online) and said that she was going to delete them from the system immediately. I sincerely hope that this is not someone who deals with the public often as we would not be the only ones put out. I rarely ever make complaints, but I am now compelled to go online and complain through Trip Advisor about the rude and obnoxious service (or lack thereof) my husband received on the phone. We travel throughout the world frequently and are aghast that somebody meant to be taking reservations could be so rude. If this is the kind of service that Meare Manor provides, we (and others, I'm guessing) want no part of it.

After my husband called back to complain about her rudeness she immediately called back, gave her name as Sue, and told him she would have offered him an upgrade but that he'd been rude and to forget it. Not only did she not originally offer an upgrade, she practically slammed the phone down on him to begin with and said there were NO ROOMS. How she intended to offer an upgrade when there were supposedly no rooms I'll never quite know, but this is a place that probably makes Fawlty Towers seem like paradise.

*definitely* not child-friendly, nor adult-friendly either!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Kristine E
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed here while attending Majma dance festival, and I know many dancers have their favourite hotels and guest houses which book up a year in advance. Meare Manor is often overlooked because it is out of town and the dancers want to walk from venue to venue. But I think its worth a five minute drive to be in the peace and quiet of the countryside and to feel so welcome. I did stay in town one year, and really wished I hadnt as the drama of the town centre (fights, music, police sirens) meant we had no sleep for two nights. That wont happen here !
This feels very much like a guest house - you are a guest of the owners. While it wasnt spotless, it was clean enough, and having someone welcome you home and ask you about your day is far more important to me. The house is full of history and has a whole character of its own, and the bedroom had quirks, which again felt very homely.
I would pick this over a soulless travel lodge anytime.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank letsbellydance
Warwickshire
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We went to the Meare Manor as a place close to the Ham Wall RSPB reserve. We were really very pleased with our choice which was made at the last minute. The welcome was second to none and the location and food were excellent. We were delighted that there was also free wifi.

If you wanted to stay in this area we would recommend it. A word to the wise though, check which room you have carefully. We would certainly go for a bigger room with the bigger bed next time as the double bed is a little short for my husband. Never the less this was our error and did not affect the pleasure of our stay.

Thanks to the staff for looking after us and to Sue for being such a great host. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fussy27
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

being an engineer i travel all over the country and stay in hotels/guest houses during weekdays and weekends,
i have had to be in Glastonbury on a number of occasions and have stayed at Mear Manor Hotel a couple of times,
i have found the owners are very helpful and pleasant people, will help you out with everything you need for your stay, including fresh milk for you coffee!
in a few of the rooms there is a small fridge to put you wine (if you take your own),
the beds are clean and very very comfortable.
bathrooms have shower and bath, and come with all the requirements you would have at home, very well appointed and very spacious.
breakfast, well that is so good, cooked to your exact order, with everything you need to start the day.
all in all this is a great place to relax after a very long drive and or a long day at work.
its quiet and peaceful, if you want to check on the news the Tv is a modern set with freeview and a remote that actually works (have stayed in other hotels that you have to pay a deposit for the remote!)
myself and my partner stay there some times, just to get away for a couple of days.
i would, and have done, reccomend the hotle to all my work and social circle of friends.
John Harrison, Mamanging director, Oais Technical Services (southern) ltd

Room Tip: if you are tall and like bath instead of a shower dont get Merlin! the bath is fit for someone who i...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Essex
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Full of character and history very central to Glastonbury

Room Tip: room was small but had everything we 1needed so no complaints
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank shirls115
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Strange mixture of modern amenities and 70s deco, with Victorian plumming. Good breakfast and bedding except pillows. If you turn up in the evening make sure you had dinner first, nothing available within a short distance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tersparis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Travelodge Glastonbury
#1 of 2 in Street
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#1 of 2 in Shepton Mallet

Been to Meare Manor? Share your experiences!