“Dog friendly place to stay”
Review of Meare Manor

Meare Manor
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Dog friendly place to stay”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a dog friendly place to stay near Glastonbury and can only say we found the perfect place in Meare Manor. I have nothing but praise to give to the owners and staff who made us very welcome. The room we stayed in was situated at the rear of the manor with a rear stairway to give me easy access to walk my dog. The room was satisfactory for our needs and very warm and a large comfortable bed. Breakfast was excellent and the service overall was of a high standard.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Unfortunately we only stayed the one night. We were welcomed by Graham, a most charming chap and made us feel right at home. Excellent service, good quality cooked breakfast plus cereals, fruit and anything else you could possibly desire. Staying in the dual aspect Arthur 3 room, it was spacious, clean and very homely. An ideal retreat with easy access to Glastonbury, Wells and Street plus Cheddar a few miles away too. The only downside was that the shower was a little slow and the hotel could do with a little modernisation (without diminishing the character of this lovely place). Highly recommended

Room Tip: Arthur 3 is a dual aspect room, very light, spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I've recently returned from a 3 night stay at Meare Manor with my mother. We stayed in the Merlin twin bedded room, located on the first floor opposite a very handy lift. Upon arrival, the charming Graham carried our (rather heavy) case up to the bedroom and explained the rooms facilities to us, after initially deciding what time would be best for our breakfast to be ready. I thought this was a lovely touch, as it allowed us to work to a schedule each morning. The breakfast was delicious when it was served, but would have benefitted from having warm toast and usable butter, as in my experience, the butter was ice cold and I had to hold it against my coffee mug before I could spread it on my toast.

The room was beautifully furnished (updated from the 360 degree tour on the website), with modern features and comfortable chairs. The only problems we experienced were the pillows - which were like cement. My mother ended up rolling up her coat and using that as a pillow. But I appreciated having a proper duvet, rather than sleeping under a pile of scratchy sheets.

The hotel is a brief 5-10 minute drive into the town of Glastonbury, with convenient parking on site, although I imagine that in the summer during peak season, parking would be difficult.

There is a definite atmosphere about the hotel - its exceptionally quiet & located in a quiet part of the town, making 2 passing cars within 10 minutes seem like rush hour.

Overall, this is not a hotel that would suit anyone younger than mid to late thirties, but it was appropriate for mine and my mothers needs. The staff were polite, the hotel was clean, the food was nice and there wasn't any problems during our stay. I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows as the ones at the hotel are very uncomfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Newlyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here for a night last weekend and stayed in a magnificent room with a 4 poster bed. Nothing was too much trouble for the owners and we went into Glastonbury by taxi which costs approx £10 each way. The breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious with an excellent selection of fruit and cereals. Highly recommended

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justine S
moonrakerproud
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here recently on a Saturday night.Room was very nice,Bed very comfortable.Tea,coffee making facilities with some biscuits and chocs/sweets which are a nice touch!Toiletries also included which came in handy.The back garden was nice to sit in,and very quiet too!Breakfast was delicious (Cooked english)and the menu very good too.Selection of cereals.fruits and so on.A very enjoyable stay and we would use this hotel again.A taxi into Glastonbury was £10.50 (dropped outside the backpackers hostel)and around £15.00 returning (we came back after midnight).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed here a night with my girlfriend in the Merlin room. Great room with a lovely high ceiling and all the amenities. The place has real character and the owner is very friendly. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed here when visiting relatives in Glastonbury, it was only a 10 min drive away and in a quiet location even though it was on the main road, the hotel staff were helpful and polite and nothing was too much trouble, breakfast was cooked or continental so eveyone was catered for.
The room was quirky and clean but the shower was not very powerful,bit of a trickle and the bed was too hard for me but thats a personal choice.

It was good value and would consider again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Travelodge Glastonbury
#1 of 2 in Shepton Mallet
Mullions Hotel
Mullions Hotel
#1 of 2 in Street

Been to Meare Manor? Share your experiences!