“Not ever again”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Glastonbury
London, England, United Kingdom
“Not ever again”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Had a romantic weekend planned for myself and my new girlfriend to see the carnival and do some shopping in Street, but no went to bed on the first night pulled the covers down the sheets were covered in hairs the lady came up straight away and took all the bedding away and changed it then we went to bed looked up at the ceiling and saw to our horror it was covered with flys so we spent the next half hour swatting flys. To top it all a couple of guys in the next room smuggled a couple of girls in and the walls are very thin.........?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pat F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here for just 2 nights as we were birding at the local nature reserves. The Manor is a charming place to stay, as are the hosts Sue and Graham. Rooms were large and warm, beds comfortable, food freshly cooked and good quality. And it's quiet too. I wish there were more places like this to stay. Why stay in a Travelodge and eat scrambled eggs and orange juice reconstituted from powder when you can enjoy proper cooking like this? An added treat throughout the autumn and winter months is the daily starling murmuration at dusk, just a mile down the road and, if you are lucky, just like you see on Autumnwatch. Just ring the RSPB starling hotline for the location the starlings are favouring and be there a hour before dusk. You will be talking about it for ever!

Room Tip: Ask the owners for your preferences, they will do everything to help you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked in here recently for 1 night to visit the nearby Shapwick Heath LNR and RSPB Ham Wall reserve. I first went to book on a booking website to get a price for a double room and this was quite high so i went direct on the Meare Manor website and got it cheaper. For £54 I got a large double room with a very comfortable bed and a decent breakfast. The staff were helpful and I found the Manor to have a great deal of character and a interesting history behind the place. There is also a pleasant drawing room if you wish to relax and read or talk. This place is perfect if you want somewhere close to Shapwick Heath or Ham Wall.

Room Tip: I stayed in Arthur 2.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank crockett101
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a dog friendly place to stay near Glastonbury and can only say we found the perfect place in Meare Manor. I have nothing but praise to give to the owners and staff who made us very welcome. The room we stayed in was situated at the rear of the manor with a rear stairway to give me easy access to walk my dog. The room was satisfactory for our needs and very warm and a large comfortable bed. Breakfast was excellent and the service overall was of a high standard.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil T
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Unfortunately we only stayed the one night. We were welcomed by Graham, a most charming chap and made us feel right at home. Excellent service, good quality cooked breakfast plus cereals, fruit and anything else you could possibly desire. Staying in the dual aspect Arthur 3 room, it was spacious, clean and very homely. An ideal retreat with easy access to Glastonbury, Wells and Street plus Cheddar a few miles away too. The only downside was that the shower was a little slow and the hotel could do with a little modernisation (without diminishing the character of this lovely place). Highly recommended

Room Tip: Arthur 3 is a dual aspect room, very light, spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I've recently returned from a 3 night stay at Meare Manor with my mother. We stayed in the Merlin twin bedded room, located on the first floor opposite a very handy lift. Upon arrival, the charming Graham carried our (rather heavy) case up to the bedroom and explained the rooms facilities to us, after initially deciding what time would be best for our breakfast to be ready. I thought this was a lovely touch, as it allowed us to work to a schedule each morning. The breakfast was delicious when it was served, but would have benefitted from having warm toast and usable butter, as in my experience, the butter was ice cold and I had to hold it against my coffee mug before I could spread it on my toast.

The room was beautifully furnished (updated from the 360 degree tour on the website), with modern features and comfortable chairs. The only problems we experienced were the pillows - which were like cement. My mother ended up rolling up her coat and using that as a pillow. But I appreciated having a proper duvet, rather than sleeping under a pile of scratchy sheets.

The hotel is a brief 5-10 minute drive into the town of Glastonbury, with convenient parking on site, although I imagine that in the summer during peak season, parking would be difficult.

There is a definite atmosphere about the hotel - its exceptionally quiet & located in a quiet part of the town, making 2 passing cars within 10 minutes seem like rush hour.

Overall, this is not a hotel that would suit anyone younger than mid to late thirties, but it was appropriate for mine and my mothers needs. The staff were polite, the hotel was clean, the food was nice and there wasn't any problems during our stay. I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows as the ones at the hotel are very uncomfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Newlyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here for a night last weekend and stayed in a magnificent room with a 4 poster bed. Nothing was too much trouble for the owners and we went into Glastonbury by taxi which costs approx £10 each way. The breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious with an excellent selection of fruit and cereals. Highly recommended

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justine S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Travelodge Glastonbury
#1 of 2 in Shepton Mallet
Mullions Hotel
Mullions Hotel
#1 of 2 in Street

Been to Meare Manor? Share your experiences!