“Yum Yumm”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of cafe galatea - CLOSED

cafe galatea
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Yum Yumm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Delicious food, we always have the enchiladas. I love the fact this is an only veggie restaurant, however lots of non veggies come here and they love it too. The food will not come quickly, it will take its time as it is all nice and fresh. We only ever eat here when we visit Glasto!

wells
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Thought this place was supposed to have good food. Very average veggie food, very out of date, and terribly expensive. Around the £10 mark for a mushroom crepe - the crepe really thick and stodgy - I won't be back I'm afraid. Very grumpy owner too.

• Visited July 2014
Penzance
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kicked out half way through our meal due to double booking!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have eaten out at this place many times over the years, mainly due to the fact not many places are open on a Sunday in Glastonbury, plus they served, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options, and I have enjoyed their veggie Sunday roasts on many occasions. tThe service has always been polite, albeit excruciatingly SLOW!
Last Sunday early evening a group of friends and I walked in to find a huge empty table with one lady sitting there. All the other tables were full, or had reserved signs on, but this table had none, se we asked the lady if she minded if we joined her, she was fine and said it was ok, we also checked with the staff and was given the godhead to sit and order a meal.
The waitress came over and took our order, starters, followed by our main course. We were about half way through our main course when the waitress sheepishly came over and said "I have been told to put this on your table". She was holding a 'reserved 7.30pm" sign, she then walked away!
We were very shocked, as this would have given us just 20 mins to complete our meal, with no time for dessert or coffee. The main owner then came over and started monitoring how fast we were eating! She did not say anything to us, except huffed a little. She then came over again and we explained how rude it was do to that, and how we had no time to order dessert or coffee, let alone finish our meal! We said it was very rude to treat customers in this way, but instead of apologising, she said it was our fault for just walking in and not booking in advance. We explained that if they knew there was not room or time for our meal, they should have said at the start, and not served us at all. She continued to make excuses and never apologised once! In fact she became increasingly aggressive in nature towards my partner. We finished our meal and paid and left, we did not leave a tip. We shall not be eating in Galatea again! Plus there was a high hair in the middle of my meal.

1 Thank MealHunter
Penny B, Owner at cafe galatea, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
This is a complete misrepresentation of the incident last Sunday.What actually happened was that 6 people put themselves on an occupied table,which was booked for another 6 people an hour later.The girl on the table came up to me and said that she had had her space invaded and was not best pleased by their energy.The part time girl who was helping that night took their order and I was at no time asked if it was Ok I,.The kitchen said they could feed them in an hour and so it was done and they were told that the table was booked for 7.30.When 7.30 came it was clear they were going to make a scene,and I was left with the choice of telling a booking of 6 that their table was not available or letting the unbooked group know again,that their table was needed.In fact they received no less than 4 apologies,which they did,nt want to hear,and I also explained that they knew us well enough to know that they had to book on a Sunday night.This group were difficult and some of them left without paying for their whole bill,( let alone leaving a tip).This was an unpleasant,bullying incident by difficult people whose passing shot to me was "You,re a disgrace to Glastonbury and you,ve been here 20 years too long"So who was being rude?I am pleased to hear they won,t be back because they would not ever be served again.Even on a Sunday night when everything else is closed.
Birmingham
“Fab!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Although I have been a vegetarian for many years I have never been to a vegetarian restaurant so this was my first... I was not let down!!! It was such a novelty to be able to have ANYTHING I wanted off the menu, I was spoilt for choice!! There was a musician playing a harp on the night that we went which was lovely, I've not seen that before, a night of firsts! The waitress was very friendly and I didn't feel we had to wait that long even though we'd been warned that service was slow. Great night, great food :)

London, England, United Kingdom
“Why Open Up on a Sunday Morning???”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Walked into an empty restaurant Sunday morning for breakfast, only to be told by a very surly lady that they don't do breakfast, they do cake but they didn't have any!!