“Average this time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Rodney Stoke Inn
Ranked #18 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Average this time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have been many times to this restaurant which has been excellent but this time we just felt it was average. The starters and main seemed to be plumped up with a lot of lettuce! Garlic mushrooms were nice. Pate was a bit mushy. The steak was over done and my beet root and Brie pie was tasteless and the bottom of the pastry was not cooked. The pub itself is lovely and the food is well presented but the quality we felt has gone down. Just one little thing it would be nice to be greeted with a smile from the gentleman that was behind the bar.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gillwebb

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Don't Go if you got children you won't be made Welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Well we had been out for a ride out on this Easter Sunday and on the way home we stopped off for something to eat me my husband, daughter-in-law and my lovely Granddaughter ,we entered the bar and I had my granddaughter on her rains I let the rains go just to get some money out for some drinks I still had my eyes on her and she went by the pool table Quite safe and before i got some money out one of the bar staff a male came barging over and said keep that child under control Well with that warm welcome I closed my purse and walked out we went to the Nelson in Churchill and they made us feel so welcome and we had a lovely meal and my Granddaughter was made so very welcome.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Catherine C
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Staff Attitude / Unacceptable delay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I don't think we saw any of the waitresses smile once during our visit. There were plenty of them, not many customers and a distinct "attitude" towards customers. You could see the derisory looks and sneers between the waitresses - even amongst themselves. Not once during our meal did they return to ask if we were OK or did we need more drinks, only to take the order and deliver the food.

At one point, having waited over an hour for our main course, my wife asked how long our food would be, the waitress disappeared and we never saw another waitress until 10 minutes later bringing our food.

The food was OK, certainly nothing special and nearly £10 for a smoked salmon starter which had 2 measly pieces of salmon is taking the mickey. Their menu is raising expectations to a level that their chef is clearly unable to meet.

With the food taking so long, we asked to speak to the Manager. A rather intimidating guy appeared who point blank refused to accept there was anything wrong in waiting an hour for our main course blaming a busy service - at it's height we counted 6 tables occupied. Busy? Really?

So, with a manager like that, I guess it is easier to understand the attitude of the waitresses and the contempt they show their customers.

One day, I hope they get to visit a genuinely busy pub in the real world and see, even when busy, waitresses can smile and be attentive to customers. It will reflect in their tips as well.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Portmeirionman
Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

The ambience was good, food and service excellent and good selection of ales. A good all round experience

Visited April 2014
sunny south of England
“Pub lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stopped here on our way into Cheddar where we were staying in a holiday cottage. We ordered a poughmans and a glass of wine each. The pub was fairly quiet but even so had a lovely atmosphere and the bar team were very pleasant. The wine was reasonably priced and a decent quality. The ploughmans when they arrived were exceptional (and enormous)! Huge variety of salad ingredients / pickles etc. the cheese and ham were very tasty. I had to have a doggy bag to take half of it home. Absolutely delicious! Will definitely drop into this pub again as our son lives in the area. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend

Visited November 2013