“Beautiful Gardens”

and up
Entry Ticket to the Bishop's Palace and Gardens
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Wells
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to the Bishops of Bath and Wells for 800 years this stunning medieval palace is open for all to enjoy. Surrounded by a breathtaking moat with resident Mute swans, you can cross the Drawbridge to experience a true hidden gem in the heart of the City of Wells. The Palace sits within 14 acres of RHS partner gardens, including the beautiful well pools from which the city takes its name. In the Arboretum is the newly developed "Dragon's Lair" children's playground to tire out little legs. There are daily Guided Tours, a Cafe serving delicious lunches, cakes and hot and cold drinks. Dogs are welcome on leads.
Somerset
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Gardens”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I'm pleased I visited. The gardens are beautiful and the history fascinating. I recommend waiting for the free tour, our tour guide was very knowledgable (if not a little slow paced for me). The tour lasted about an hour. On this visit I got a sneak preview of the swans of wells before they officially went on display.

Visited September 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shropshire
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Gardens, Chapel & Cafe well worth a visit!”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

After purchasing out tickets we were met at the entrance by a very helpful lady who explained the layout of the gardens and palace. She gave just the right amount of helpful information without going over the top which was a feature of our visit.
It was a wet day so we didn't overdo the gardens but I would imagine on a dry day they would be just beautiful and you can even send the kids up the ramparts, as we had a buggy we did not do this part. It is dotted with statues and garden ornaments which complement the plants. The palace itself was ok but not as good as the gardens. We saw the dressing up box (mentioned elsewhere) and the facilities for both buggies & wheelchairs were excellent as a lift was available. However the chapel was the highlight of the rooms inside and a lovely lady entertained my son searching for animals in the carvings on the pews.
Finally we had reached lunch so ate in the onsite cafe which was busy and I can understand why, as the food was excellent and service was quick.The bay changing and toilets were spotless too so really despite the weather I could not fault the visit.

In fact we lost my sons feeding bottle and when I asked a member of staff if one had been handed in he said "to try the shop" and I did and some kind person/staff had handed in my son's juice bottle which put the cherry on the top of our visit.

Haworth, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“...the cat's name is Maisie”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Strolling around the Bishop's Palace and gardens is a lovely way to pass the time. The architecture is stunning and the 'Palace' is very well maintained. The displays are interesting and there are some quirky features e.g. projections on to the floor of the buildings and gardens. The little chapel is stunning and it is possible to attend services here on a tuesday, should you so wish.

Bristol
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A beautiful refective place”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We had an impromptu visit to the beautiful city of Wells Sunday 19 August. After a damp morning the sun finally broke through and we headed over the Mendip Hills for leisurely stroll. Parking is an issue in Wells but we found a small back road above Wells Catherdral School buidlings and wandered down the small lanes toward the Cathedral and Close. The Bishops Palace is surrounded by a small moat fed by the wells of Wells - you can actually see the water bubbling up throught the mud in some of the larger pools. The imposing gatehouse and thick walls make is seem more like a castle than a Palace but in times gone by it proably was a place of sanctuary along with the Cathedral.

The Palace itself is a complete mix of styles from 11th century stonework, Jacobean Staircases, to Victorian wallpapers and moden aluminuium and steel artwork. You never know what to expect around the next corner, be it a stone carved monk or a steel wire bullrush hidden in a flower border. The "treasures" are remarkable including a ship's bell that was used as font with the childrens names engraved on the inside rim to the wooden cross made by an unknown carpenter in Africa. There is so much to see it was a pleasure to be able to just wander around and take in the atmosphere of this place. I even had a go at the dressing up box!

I can honestly say that there can't be that many more tranquil places in the West Country to spend a few hours - we didnt even get as far as the Catherdral - another day perhaps.

Horsham, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“My favourite place”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Arrived early before the crowds. Loved the chapel ,especially the blend of old and new.- spent ages talking to the volunteer who was a mine of information. this was also true of the guide in the exhibition area where we could see and learn about many artefacts from the area. The jewel in the crown though has to be the gardens, especially round by the wells.Never before have I experienced such a spiritual sense of stillness and well being.The views of the cathedral are lovely,made perfect by the wells and old palace ruins. The new cafeteria and toilet facilities are first class.