“Beautiful. Tranquil.”

Wells Bishop’s Palace and Gardens Entrance Ticket
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Wells
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Home to the Bishops of Bath and Wells for 800 years this stunning medieval palace is open for all to enjoy. Surrounded by a breathtaking moat with resident Mute swans, you can cross the Drawbridge to experience a true hidden gem in the heart of the City of Wells. The Palace sits within 14 acres of RHS partner gardens, including the beautiful well pools from which the city takes its name. In the Arboretum is the newly developed "Dragon's Lair" children's playground to tire out little legs. There are daily Guided Tours, a Cafe serving delicious lunches, cakes and hot and cold drinks. Dogs are welcome on leads.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We loved the private green oasis hidden behind these walls.
Lovely coffee shop outside entry also. Very nice.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"drawbridge"
"cygnets"

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The surrounds of the Palace are lovely with opportunities for swan feeding. The gardens are very mixed - I had hoped to get near the ancient Celtic healing pool but it is fenced off! However for masses of cultivated colour and blossom trees it is beautiful I have tried the cafe but found it disappointing: virtually no attention paid to gluten-free, the food is expensive and pots of tea weak! Maybe the decor could be softened as it feels a bit like a refectory? Personally I do not like dogs near my food!

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

On arrival we struggled to park for a bit but after a bit of driving room found somewhere.

We had a coupon thats was excepted no problem.

We had a picnic on grounds surrounded by beauty.

The man that showed us in and showed us a rout was so enthusiastic,friendly and seemed really thrilled that a group of young ladies wanted to be there.

The grounds are stunning!! You'll want to take lots of photos.

I just wish there had been written more about the history of the palace!

Stop at the giftshop before you leave they had some unique bits and bobs.

A wonderful day out with my best friends.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have lived near Wells for years and wandered around the moat on many occasions plus going into the gardens when they have events on. But they have now opened much more of the gardens and there is so much more to see than you realise if you only go as far as the tea room. I went back and upgraded to the annual ticket so that we can go back whenever we want and see more inside. (We had limited time on that first visit.)
There is also a picnic site in the garden.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have visited the Bishop's Palace before and really enjoyed it. On that occassion the refreshments were inside the old building. On this occassion, we visited the Cathedral first, and nearly ate in the café there, but I remembered coming to eat in the Bishop’s Palace a two or three years ago, and how nice it had been. What a disappointment.
Unfortunately the new visitor centre has nothing like the atmosphere of actually eating in the old building. It is just like any other café. As we walked in there was a queue for the counter, but we could not see what there was to order. We were standing next to the drinks cabinet. As we moved along I could see a drinks board with coffee prices etc. I had to skirt round to the front of the queue to find a list of sandwiches available. As I was paying I noticed some laminated menus on the end of the counter! Not much good there!
As it was busy there were only a couple of free tables. There were 3 of us so we sat at 2 x 2 tables next to each other. One was dirty, covered in crumbs and looked most uninviting. Unfortunately there was no other choice, so we sat and waited in the hope that it would be cleaned.
A waitress brought my coffee, put it down but did not seem to notice the mess. When a second waitress came with my sandwich I hoped that she would notice, but no, so I had to ask her to clean it and she had to go off and get a cloth to do so.

When my sandwich did come, bizarrely it was accompanied by popcorn! Why? Had they run out of salad? The National Trust serve a few chips with their sandwiches, perfectly acceptable. As would be some small salad garnish, but popcorn? Yuk! Horrible sickly smell, it rather put me off my sandwich. Our Canadian relative who was with us asked if this was a normal thing to have in England. Well, I have never seen it before and would not wish to do so again!
And as for serving meals on wooden boards – they didn’t look as if they would clean easily and I was relieved that my own meal was actually served on a plate.

1  Thank WestonNewgirl