“Sunday Evening Drink in the Bar of The City Arms”
Review of The City Arms

The City Arms
Ranked #44 of 94 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We have recently opened after a refurbishment programme. Bar and restaurant are complete. Outside patio area requires planning permission before works can take place - should be ready for the early summer (Target = 1st April). Stocks and shackles in the old City Jail are being repaired and will be used for any customers who over-indulge on our fine ales!. Much done and much more to do to restore the City Arms to its former glory. as one of England's finest pubs.
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Sunday Evening Drink in the Bar of The City Arms”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

While staying at my daughters last weekend,we went for a drink at the City Arms.
Which we have done many times in the past & always enjoyed.
We ordered a pint of Carlesberg & half Grolsh. My partners Carlesberg did not taste right, so asked if he could change it. The lady in charge presume manager told us that the barrel was in date, then proceed to pour herself some off & taste it, then go to the cellar.
Then came back & said that the date on the barrel was the 18th July, she had tasted it & thought it was fine as far as she was concerned, & offered my partner some lemonade with it which my partner declined.
I feel this was really bad customer service, I have never been anywhere before where this has happened. We will not be returning which is a shame as we have had some good times there in the past.

Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I am sorry your experience of the The City Arms was not as welcoming as you'd hoped.
The City Arms is under New Management and we are trying to improve customer service. If you review other Trip Advisor reports you will see that the pub has started to become well regarded for its friendly and efficient service.

Sometimes we don't get it right, so I will review this with all staff, to see what we can do differently, and we hope we'll see you again soon.

Ashford, United Kingdom
“Nice Pub, Good Food and Good Service”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have visited Wells for a long weekend every year for the last 4 years and have had a least one meal in this friendly pub on each visit. The food is always good and during our recent visit 20/23 June we were advised the establishment is under new management, the food prepared by the new chef is very good, the "Somerset Chicken" dish is particularly good and recommended!
We found the staff very friendly and efficient and the New Manager made us welcome. It is worth a visit.

• Visited June 2014
Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you Alan for your review. Yes The City Arms is under New Management. I was so pleased to meet you. Hopefully we will see you each year for the next four years. I might have to find an equally good dish for your next visit. I will pass on your comments to the Chef and the rest of our team.
See you very soon.
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Fantastic little find!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We went here for a quick lunch and OMG was it delicious. We both had different chicken dishes and they were cooked to absolute perfection. Set us right up for our 30 miler bike ride.
Brilliant staff too, very funny and friendly. Will be going back for sure!!

Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you Antoinette for your review. It is nice to know the changes we have put in place are shinning through. I am so please you enjoyed your meals, I know the Somerset Chicken is very popular. It always helps when you have good quality local produce and dedicated Chefs to work with. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Wells, Somerset
“Sushi in Wells - different in nice way”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

In writing this review I think I need to be up front and say that we are regulars in the City Arms so if you wish you can stop reading here and say it is a biased review, however, it is not intended to be so.

Wells is not a great metropolis; it is limited in terms of different types of cuisine and I will have to be honest and say that when I heard about sushi in Wells I was not sure how it would work - particularly with the issues over the freshness and availability of ingredients here.

We knew that the chef had been out to Japan to learn how to make sushi for a few months earlier on in the year so when we saw it appear on the specials board we felt that it was worth a try as something different but we did check out the provenance of the ingredients - the chef advised that he had sourced everything from specialist sushi suppliers.

We ordered one platter (£15) between two of us and it was an ample portion size. The star of the show was a sort of fusion sushi with cod wrapped in seaweed wrapped in rice and topped with avocado - sounded different but tasted wonderful.

I am aware, from the responses of some people around us that sushi is not everyone's first choice but I would suggest that it really is worth a try.

The only suggestion is that while it is fun to guess what is on the platter it would probably be a good idea to tell people what was on the platter when it arrived - I think it may say what is on the platter on the specials board inside but my memory is not good enough to remember all the different dishes.

• Visited June 2014
Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you Dacs for you review. Reviews are not solely for travellers. I to have reviewed other restaurants I visit frequently.
As for Sushi - we are very fortunate to have a fully trained Sushi Chef who trained in Japan. As you say this is an opportunity to offer something different in Wells. Although I agree Sushi is not for everyone there are plenty of people are at least trying it. Week after week we sell out. This is why we have decided to run a a 3 course Sushi Evening on the 24th July. Bookings only.
Your suggestion, I have taken on board about explaining what is on the platter and I will do my best to learn to do this.
Thank you again.
Goole, England, United Kingdom
“£5 breakfast!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We popped in here for breakfast after seeing the £5 board outside, a decent price for this part of the world.
It also claimed to have featured in the Sunday Times top 20 breakfasts in the UK, how true that is I'm unsure.
It wasn't rammed in there by any means but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. It was a nice cosy little place and the fella on shift seemed very pleasant.
For the money the food was of good quality and served its purpose. A decent start to the day.

• Visited May 2014
Phil C, Manager at The City Arms, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your review Ryan. We always aim for positive reviews. Our breakfast is always cooked fresh and has become a very popular addition to our menu.
We hope to see you again soon.