“Swan poo”

Best Western Plus Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was one of the most disappointing stays we have had in the UK. Fleas or? in our room biting our legs,the worst internet connection,loud street noise, no a/c ,phone and lighting was not working properly,stained wallpaper,pullout bed had stained mattress...oh,my. The list goes on. Lots of no's from the staff..except Natasha who did her best to make things right. Will never return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank reelwoman
Swanhotelwells, General Manager at Best Western Plus Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Reading this review is upsetting for a number of reasons.

First, anyone who has the good sense to read a selection of our reviews will see that our staff are often singled out for praise.

Second, the list of complaints are, for the most part, unfounded.

I will address each of your comments in turn.

The hotel does not have fleas – only guide dogs are permitted in the hotel.

Unfortunately Wells does not yet have ‘super fast broadband’ (according to connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk parts of the Wells Exchange will shortly be fibre-enabled) so the service can be slow when demand is high. A member of my team helped you to connect to the internet via your I-Pad.

At the time of your stay emergency works were taking place to the water main in the High Street. This was obviously completely out of our control and the works finished by 10.30pm.

The major parts of our hotel date back to the 15th century, so installing air-conditioning really isn’t an option.

The two way light switch in your room was set to off at the door and the bed – you simply needed to turn one of these on. I understand that a member of our team did this for you.

I’m equally surprised by your comment concerning your phone not working as you called my reception team on numerous occasions during your stay.

I can’t see any stains on the wallpaper and all our mattresses are fitted with protectors.

I hope that others will look at the more considered reviews on this site to formulate an accurate opinion of our hotel. Thanks to the vast majority of reviewers we have just received another Certificate of Excellence from Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights DBB at The Swan. We were warned by email that there is currently scaffolding on the front and we did not find this a problem. We had a superior room (41) with a fabulous view across the green to the West Front of the cathedral - and when the curtains were shut there was a picture of the cathedral on the wall to look at. The room had basically the same view as that from the Cathedral Suite, the hotel's best room.

The room was a good size, smartly decorated and well-equipped, with a comfortable bed and plenty of pillows and the bathroom was clean and good.

We had dinner the first night in their 15C restaurant and were very impressed by the meal. Our main course was a delicious confit of duck, tender and full of flavour and beautifully presented. The second night, as we had a concert to go to, we ate early in the lounge from the all-day bar menu and found this rather disappointing: a bland chicken curry with rice and almost no discernible vegetables and a steak pie with flabby pastry - shame as it let down an otherwise lovely stay.

We liked the lounge and bar: comfortable and welcoming with an interesting 'gin menu'. There is also an attractive cafe garden across the road, facing the cathedral, which looked a sunny spot to relax.

The hotel has been refurbishing recently and looked very smart and all staff were helpful. The location is great for exploring Wells, a delightful and tiny city, and also for the lovely countryside around.

Room Tip: Ask for a cathedral view: it's magnificent!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for just one night as we passed through Well. The staff at this hotel are excellent. Nothing was to much trouble and everybody seemed to be working together. All in all a very refreshing experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 9 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Imagine my surprise when receptionist gave me directions to a room in one of the out buildings. Crazy room with tub at foot of the bed and Queen Anne mixed with 70's design and no sound proofing. The travelers tip is right - when you reserve specify what you want.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank marymorr
Reviewed 24 May 2014

we saw a sign for a cafe and decided to give it a go and found.It is part of the swan hotel.it was a lovely setting with lots of comfy seating and tables and is a lovely sun trap weather permmiting and is also used for wedding venues as an outside area. we had lunch there a beef ploughmans and a cheese ploughmans both of which were delicious .with 2 bits of rustic bread, for the amount of beef that there was we could have done with a small piece more of bread..but it was lovely and
tasty

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have been staying at the Swan every six months for more than 10 years now, as I have been visiting Wells and the Cathedral for research. The Swan is the best hotel in Wells and I will still be staying there, BUT (and that is a big BUT) I am very disappointed about certain things that don't seem to get fixed.
The light switches in the rooms are often problematic. This has happened to me 3 times in a row in the Swan.
The water temperature in the shower is not constant. This is a huge frustration. You simply cannot have this happening in a hotel. I don't know whether they're running combination boilers or some other kind of eco technology, but this is not acceptable.
Third, and most important, you simply cannot offer a connection speed of 0.02 Mbps to your hotel guests that need to connect to the internet. This is worse than 80's bbs dialup. When quering this with the lad at reception I was told (and I quote) that "Wells has a known problem with Wi-Fi" and that all speeds are like this in the neighbourhood.
Now ignorance I can tolerate, although making things up is somewhat infuriating, as "Wi-Fi speed" was actually good (customer connecting to the Swan Wi-Fi), whatever that means... it is the resources that the Wi-Fi connection gives you access to, which was 0.02 Mbps.
But unfortunately for the young lad at reception, I was invited for dinner at a property that is about 200 yards from the Swan (i.e. almost certainly on the same telephone exchange) and their connection speed was 20+ Mbps.
This is a disgrace, and I am hoping that someone at the Swan is reading this, as lying to customers is a very bad idea. In a place where mobile phone reception is non existent, in the year 2014, it is inexcusable for a hotel that charges nearly £120 per night to offer such a bad connectivity service to customers.
It is somewhat disheartening, as I am a great fan of the Swan and its staff, who are friendly, efficient and very accommodating. I would have preferred to had received an apology instead of nonsense and lies about the general telecoms infrastructure of Wells.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Swanhotelwells, General Manager at Best Western Plus Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. It is always upsetting to receive negative comments, particularly from such a longstanding and loyal guest.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify the WiFi connectivity problem that you experienced at the hotel.

Unfortunately Wells does not yet have ‘super fast broadband’ (according to connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk parts of the Wells Exchange will shortly be fibre-enabled.) This is incredibly frustrating for businesses such as ours.

At the time of your stay the hotel was very busy. The more guests that draw on our WiFi bandwidth the worse the service becomes. If a local business to us has fewer people drawing on its bandwidth then the speed of their service will be faster than ours. In this instance popularity has a downside.

That being said there is always room for improvement and we are currently working hard to increase the number of access points around the hotel. All of Somerset needs fibre-enabled exchanges, but that is in the hands of BT. A company obviously out of our control.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Swan Hotel again soon.

Regards and best wishes.

Mark Tobin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
White Hart Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!