“Walled Garden Cafe”

Best Western Plus Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We called in here briefly for afternoon tea on a trip to Wells. We didn't visit the hotel but the Walled Garden Cafe that is associated with the hotel. I couldn't find a separate listing on TripAdvisor for it.

Anyway in the end we all had cocktails in a lovely open air seated area with a nice fountain. It was a lovely place to relax after traipsing around the numerous good quality shops.

I also had a scone which came with jam and cream, the staff were very polite and friendly. Access was up a side street and some steps.

We thought it was reasonably priced but there really isn't much more I can comment on because we only stopped in for one drink and a bit of a relax.

All in all if you need a break from visiting the shops, cathedral or sights then this is a little gem of a cafe hidden at the back of a large average looking hotel. Although part of the hotel it feels like it's separate and is a lovely space to unwind.

Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my choir from California. The location is wonderful if you want to be near the city center or the cathedral. The staff were uniformly polite, and some were exceptionally friendly. Eating dinner at the hotel was a mistake for me, however. I have a dietary restriction (no gluten) that I made very clear to the serving staff each day. I chose items that the menu said were gluten-free, yet they still served me food with gluten on more than one occasion, which made me sick. I wish I could say I was the only one in my group with this problem, but my friend who also has dietary restrictions got sick eating their dinner, too, despite her best efforts to ask for food she could eat. My advice would be that if you have dietary restrictions, avoid the food at The Swan.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Noble M M
Swanhotelwells, General Manager at Best Western Plus Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that members of your party with special dietary requirements didn’t receive the food that had been specifically prepared for them.

The menu included gluten free; soup, bread, main courses and desserts. Due to the size of your party (61) I can only think that some of the gluten free meals were consumed by members of your group without special dietary requirements.

I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My first stay in a 600 years old hotel (well, part of it) and facing a Cathedral. Such as beautiful and lovely hotel.

Staffs at the restaurant were so courteous and friendly. Make our first stop in South England felt so much at home.

Highlights :
- Go visit the beautiful Wells Cathedral, walk around it, check out the Vicar's close and all
- Go visit, if not, walk around the moat of the Bishop's palace
- Walk around Cathedral's green, enjoy the sun and the view
- Visit the Saturday market just down the street, plenty of breads, cherry, cheese, crystal, etc

Room Tip: Rooms above the lobby have the Cathedral view. No service lift though, don't bring heavy luggage...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Swan is a beautiful hotel, right opposite Wells Cathedral, with a good car park in the heart of this small city. I would probably have really enjoyed staying there, if some level of thought had been given to room allocation and customer care. As a single female traveller, arriving for one Sunday night, I was very disappointed to be given one of the new courtyard rooms, away from the main hotel, and furnished like an Ikea display. The receptionist could not be bothered to take me to the room, so she explained I should set off with my suitcase, down corridors, through doors, across the patio, through a gap in the wall to room 402. Off I went. After many minutes of fruitless to-ing and fro-ing, I spotted the gap and saw a door saying '2' (not 402). The key worked. Marvellous. The 'room' is actually a two-floor small apartment, with a full kitchen, sofa, television and an upstairs bedroom. The scheme is modernist red, black and white, which is out-of-keeping with the old hotel. Anyway, I hated it. I was not self-catering (which must surely be its function?); I was staying for one Sunday night. I had room service and slumped in front of the Wimbledon final, disgruntled and slightly put off by the weirdness of the set-up. Still, it would have been bearable had it not been for the other guests in the courtyard block. I don't suppose they were noisier than any other couple, but the walls are made of tissue paper, and I could hear every word of their conversations; every heavy footstep; every creak; every bang. By the morning, I couldn't wait to get out of there, so I didn't even stop for breakfast. The moral? Unless you intend to cater for yourself, avoid this courtyard block. I wrote a review on the Best Western website and the hotel manager kindly got back to me within hours, saying he'd wished he could've rectified the room at the time. Good service, then, but too late for me.

Room Tip: Refuse Rooms 401 and 402 unless you intend to cook for yourself.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank EMT64
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a great hotel for visiting Wells, close to the cathedral and Bishops palace and it has limited parking.
We stayed in July 2014 and found it a nice place to stay..however we did experience endless banging of the pipes in our room.We were in the coachouse,I think it was room 65 and I have to say the constant banging of the pipes did ruin our stay.I mentioned it to a member of staff but sadly nothing happened,I should probably have gone to the front desk,this is the only reason I have given it an average rating,in all other respects its very good..I would however be unlikely to go back as I like my sleep !

Room Tip: Try to find one without banging pipes !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ridgebacker
Swanhotelwells, General Manager at Best Western Plus Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I was sorry to hear that you experienced banging pipes in your room. A guest notified us of a similar problem a few weeks ago and we immediately reacted by checking all the plumbing. While there was no obvious problem, we took the opportunity to replace numerous valves and pipes. I thought that this remedial work had put a stop to this problem.

We will certainly investigate this matter further and I sincerely hope that you will come back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just had my sons wedding at the Swan hotel Wells, what a great day, we were made very welcome by manager Mark and his team they couldn't do enough for us,they made the day run smoothly, the food was excellent, the service was good, the hotel was very clean the room we had was fantastic, we will definitely be visiting again, thankyou all at the swan from all the family of Sam and Lisa

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I attended a wedding at the hotel and I was very impressed by the level of cleanliness of the hotel and it's facilities. We spent the majority of the day outside in the garden which was very comfortable. The food was very good and the menus looked good too. To add to this the staff were helpful and friendly although sometimes it was difficult to talk to them because they were foreign! Despite all this the bar was expensive (£1.50 for half a pint of lemonade) and there were ques for the toilets (not enough for the hotel users and the wedding guests). Also, the garden and other rooms were quite small. When this mixes with warm weather and lots of people, it becomes uncomfortable and the need for air conditioning Increases. I also think the buildings need re decorating as it looks old and used. Overall I was very pleased with the Swan.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
0 mi away
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
George and Pilgrims Hotel
George and Pilgrims Hotel
#3 of 5 in Glastonbury

Been to Best Western Plus Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!