The Crown at Wells
Priceline
US$133
US$130
US$113
Premier Inn Wells (Somerset)(Wells)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsanton's bistrothot fuzzmarket squarethe pubpenn baroverlooking the market placeham egg and chipsfour postercar parksunday lunchold buildinglovely mealsaturday marketbishop's palacebreakfast was excellentstayed here for one nightwell worth a visit
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was initially quite pleased on arrival at The Crown. Parked in the market square and was welcomed very nicely at reception. The room was spacious, clean and had good facilities: tea/coffee hot chocolate/biscuits, plenty of nice soap/shampoo etc. Even a teddy bear to keep me company.

Feeling pleased with myself, I snuggled down to sleep before my business meeting the next day. Snoring reverberated through the walls from next door, but this was drowned out by the small group of people enjoying a few drinks right outside my window.

The hotel looks over the market square and so be prepared for the noise to come through the single glazed windows. They even supplied ear plugs which were not really up to the job.

Once asleep, I was awakened several times in the night by loud noises from the market square - 4am was the first interruption followed by several others thereafter (and I'm a sound sleeper).

Other annoying issues included the plug socket being at the wrong end of the room and nowhere near a mirror (making styling hair very awkward). The shower was rather primitive but did the job.

The best bit was the beautifully prepared breakfast which helped me forget my disastrous nights sleep and made me feel a little warmer towards the place.

I'm sure the location of your room will have a bearing on whether you have a quiet night so check this out before booking and I'm sure you will have a more relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking market square - too noisy
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen W
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at The Crown at Wells, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.
So pleased you were pleased with location, staff and your room, generally.
Noise. We are sorry. The noise generated by others is sadly beyond our control. If only it wasn't...!
Sorry about the awkward hair styling issue with the mirror, we shall have a look at this and appreciate you bringing it to our attention.
So pleased breakfast redressed the balance and do come back again. Ask for a quiet room and we'll do our best to accommodate you, bear and all.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Had a family lunch at the crown. Friendly staff good portions of decent pub food, excellent doom bar bitter. It's a beautiful old building right on the Market square in the centre of wells.
I had the burger my wife the calves liver and the kids shared a fish and chips, all were well cooked and quickly served considering the pub was pretty busy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your positive trip advisor review.
Good to hear you all enjoyed your lunchtime snack with us.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed at the Crown , we thoroughly enjoyed our three nights , Antons Bistrot very good
Good restaurant quality food,my wife's fried haddock best ever with wafer thin batter,sea bass
next night top quality, only had three nights so could not sample all the menu,worse luck.
Hotel is a town centre inn so not the quietest , however we heard more noise from the guests
In the rooms above ,why can't people pack their cases quietly at 6 am!!!
Car park is very small , needed help from friendly local To get out
Staff very pleasant , could have done with offer to help with cases, I should have asked I suppose
On leaving though chambermaid took my wife's case , downstairs and offered to wheel it to
Our car.
All in all a good place to stay when visiting lovely Wells

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HorshamW_SXGrandad

Thank you for your trip advisor review and we're pleased you spent and enjoyed your anniversary with us.
Noise is a real nuisance, particularly when it's beyond our control. Hope the ear plugs helped.
We are always happy to help and sorry you struggled a little with your case on the way up but not back down again!
Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had just popped in for a quick drink on a Friday to be told it was happy hour! What a pleasant surprise, so we had a few drinks and some complimentary food that was also been offered at the bar.
Staff very nice and a good pub with a nice atmosphere. Will visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Every Friday we have a Happy Hour. So pleased you enjoyed it and were pleasantly surprised too - always a bonus.
We look forward to next time!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Being a bit of a geek I really wanted to stay here as I love the movie Hot Fuzz, and this place features heavily in the film - as does much of the surrounding area.
The staff are incredibly kind and welcoming and the rooms are very nice, even if they are a bit dated.
It's a listed building so it's easy to pick fault, or you can just accept and appreciate the character of the building.
The hotel happily provides info on local services, they honestly can't do enough for you and the breakfast in the morning was just out of this world.
A big thanks to them all for making my stay such a memorable one. It was a real highlight of the trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ryan G

We love Hot Fuzz! We love our guests loving Hot Fuzz!
We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that it was such a memorable one.
Do come again.