Open today: 07:00 - 18:00

from US$606.63
from US$647.08
from US$1,024.54
3,799 results
All reviews chapter house scissor arches quarter hour medieval clock well worth a visit jousting knights beautiful building jesse window suggested donation voluntary donation awe inspiring stained glass take photos free entry architecture cloisters choir
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 October 2019

The Cathedral has an impressive facade and looks beautiful at night when lit up. The experience inside is somewhat clinical, the architecture is superb and the 'Scissor Arch' is quite impressive. There is no charge for entry but you are asked at the entrance for a 'donation' of £6, I dont know what they would do if you said no ! All in all it was an interesting visit,

Reviewed 21 October 2019

We spent about 2 hours here. I thought that I was "churched out", but I was wrong! When we visited, we caught the tail end of a choir practice - amazing sounds echoing around this marvellous building. There is plenty to see, from the old, rare clock to the serene cloisters and many side chapels and the amazing front facade.

It's a pity the cafe here was a disappointment, but you do get a good view of the front facade.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 18 October 2019

This is the most over-rated cathedral I have ever been in! If others think it great - get out more and go see Lincoln, Winchester, Chester, Norwich (just to name a few). Moreover, the staff here are the unfriendliest, least-Christian I have ever encountered. One priest presiding over Evensong decided to shout a childish tirade at my partner. The reason? She had looked at him askance when he shooed her rudely away from the part he was standing in, despite there being several people behind her. Not only was he rude but he was immature, childish, defensive and quite pathetic. I have really enjoyed visiting lots of religious/faith buildings all over the world and almost everywhere the staff and priests (etc) have been warm, friendly, inviting - but not in Wells. Shame on you!

2  Thank pd7
WellsCathedral, Public Relations Manager at Wells Cathedral, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2019

I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We want to make sure everyone feels welcome in Wells Cathedral, so I'd really like to speak to you more about this, and to address your concerns. Please could you email the following address, so we can continue the conversation? barnaby.martin@wellscathedral.uk.net.

Reviewed 18 October 2019 via mobile

A magnificent building! Interesting and very long history. Many special features, ie, The Chapter House and the library. Also thought to house the second oldest clock in the world.
We're not religious but so worth the visit!

Reviewed 16 October 2019 via mobile

My family and I arrived at 2pm last Sunday to tour the cathedral. We were told that in order to see the whole cathedral to come back at 4pm as some parts were inaccessible at 2pm due to a service. We were told that the cathedral shut at 6pm, so we’re happy to leave and return later.
We arrived back just after 4pm to find the main entrance closed. Luckily we found another entrance, but we’re disappointed to find sections being closed behind and in front of us as we looked around. We were then told that the cathedral would shut at 5pm, despite being told earlier at the front desk that it would shut at 6. This means that there were whole sections that we missed. They even closed off the toilet section well before 5pm, meaning that we had to leave the cathedral early to get our 3 year old to a toilet.