Open today: 07:00 - 18:00

from US$606.63
from US$647.08
from US$1,024.54
3,799 results
All reviews chapter house scissor arches quarter hour medieval clock well worth a visit jousting knights beautiful building jesse window suggested donation voluntary donation awe inspiring stained glass take photos free entry architecture cloisters choir
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 October 2019

Do visit this cathedral, for its stunning structure, atmosphere & excellent café. Probably one of the finest examples of English church architecture there is.

Reviewed 24 October 2019

Stopped by the cathedral and was delighted to wander around this very impressive building with stunning architecture and scissor arches. The acoustics sounded very good and the whole cathedral was in wonderful condition for a building built in the middle ages.

The one big disappointment was on admission to the cathedral where we were greeted by one of the volunteers who made a big point stating that there was no charge to enter.

As soon as we turned the corner there was a manned kiosk designed to funnel visitors past requesting "suggested donations" of £6 each for adults and £5 for seniors. I handed over a £20 note and was asked how much I would like to "donate". I offered £5 in total for myself and my mother-in-law to be met with a scowl from the lady manning the till. I fully appreciate that the cathedral costs a lot to maintain, a fact that is drummed into you by numerous signs informing you of the daily running cost.

I would far rather an actual admission fee be advertised at the entrance so that you could make up your mind before entering the premises, than having to pay a rather under hand "donation".

1  Thank larryb380
Reviewed 23 October 2019

The Cathedral has an impressive facade and looks beautiful at night when lit up. The experience inside is somewhat clinical, the architecture is superb and the 'Scissor Arch' is quite impressive. There is no charge for entry but you are asked at the entrance for a 'donation' of £6, I dont know what they would do if you said no ! All in all it was an interesting visit,

Reviewed 21 October 2019

We spent about 2 hours here. I thought that I was "churched out", but I was wrong! When we visited, we caught the tail end of a choir practice - amazing sounds echoing around this marvellous building. There is plenty to see, from the old, rare clock to the serene cloisters and many side chapels and the amazing front facade.

It's a pity the cafe here was a disappointment, but you do get a good view of the front facade.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 18 October 2019

This is the most over-rated cathedral I have ever been in! If others think it great - get out more and go see Lincoln, Winchester, Chester, Norwich (just to name a few). Moreover, the staff here are the unfriendliest, least-Christian I have ever encountered. One priest presiding over Evensong decided to shout a childish tirade at my partner. The reason? She had looked at him askance when he shooed her rudely away from the part he was standing in, despite there being several people behind her. Not only was he rude but he was immature, childish, defensive and quite pathetic. I have really enjoyed visiting lots of religious/faith buildings all over the world and almost everywhere the staff and priests (etc) have been warm, friendly, inviting - but not in Wells. Shame on you!

2  Thank pd7
WellsCathedral, Public Relations Manager at Wells Cathedral, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2019

I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We want to make sure everyone feels welcome in Wells Cathedral, so I'd really like to speak to you more about this, and to address your concerns. Please could you email the following address, so we can continue the conversation? barnaby.martin@wellscathedral.uk.net.