“Best cafe... ever!”

Price range: US$7 - US$12
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I realise, having been going to The Good Earth in Wells since I was little, that it is easy to overlook it as just another part of being back at home, but actually it is one the best cafes I have ever been to (if not the best as it is so consistently great). It is definitely a highlight of Wells and I recommend it to visitors and locals alike - definitely a 'Wells Institution'.

The food is ALWAYS delicious (vegetarian at it's best - soups, quiches, moussaka, curry, lasagne, amazing cakes...great coffee, tea), the atmosphere great (in large part due to the friendly lovely staff and proprietors). The cafe is bookended by two shops (food/household & toiletries/nice things) that are great for a bit of post-eat digestive browsing. Basically I think it's great.

However, to give a balanced review... the downsides are - they don't serve meat (if you fancy that you'll be disappointed) and it can be really busy (the downside of being a really popular place, but if you don't get in first time then definitely try again!)

1  Thank lizzie v
There are newer reviews for The Good Earth

Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

The Good earth really is my favourite restaurant, definitely the best place to get lunch in Somerset. The food is always delicious, and the menu changes daily so there's always something new to try. Even if you just drop in for coffee, they have a large selection of homemade cakes and the latte art is great!! It can get very busy around lunch time but I guess that just shows how good this place really is.

3  Thank LittleAA
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

Excellent, imaginative, flavoursome food. The sort of place you should take a non-vegetarian, it might convert them.

1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

GREAT - Can't fault our meal we had on a Saturday. The food was lovely and the atmosphere was super! We all had soup, main course and dessert and the food was such good value and a fantastic standard. There was a wide range of foods and drink which was great. It was so nice that after our afternoon looking around wells we returned for afternoon tea. This is our first time visiting the good earth and we will be returning very soon. Thank you

3  Thank Fantasticfoods
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I suffer from Celiacs. I can't eat wheat or gluten. I asked if they had anything gluten free. The suggested one option. Which I have to admit was quite tasty. But 3 hours later I was vomiting. I was sick for 3 days and unable to work.
They clearly don't know what they're putting in their food.

4  Thank Bill G