“What A Wasted Opportunity - But Why Change When You're In Such A Good Position?”
Review of Bekynton Brasserie - CLOSED

Bekynton Brasserie
Cuisines: European
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Leaving Wells Cathedral at 4pm, having missed lunch and wanting an early tea, forgoing the lovely looking Wells Cathedral cafe as it did nothing other than cakes by mid afternoon, we almost immediately came upon this cafe. With an ideal situation, the first cafe after the cathedral, with pavement space for tables and an enviable position overlooking the cobbled square, no wonder this place thrives, though it is surely its position and nothing else that ensures it's still trading!

It was hard to tell whether there was one or two floors of seating, as the decor seemed to suggest there were two, but we were stopped before we had climbed the chair. Like so much here, it is all guess work! Apparently, it was just the ground floor and as all tables were taken, we almost left. However fate was to deal us a duff hand. An elderly couple said they were about to leave, and obviously seeing us with two small, slightly irritable children, decided that our afternoon needed making worse, and said we could have their table. We took a seat and looked through the menu - complete with spelling mistake, 10pts for spotting it - before the slightly irritated waitress came to ask for our order.

I've long got over the boring menus for kids in cafes - chips and beans are virtually de rigeur, and here was only slightly different, with fish fingers an option and also ham. Yes, ham. But no beans. Bizarre. So, we ordered one chips and fish fingers, and one chips and ham, plus cheese and pickle sandwiches and a jacket potato with chilli (menu warned it was hot and spicy). To drink, we ordered a milk, a juice, a coffee, a coke and a tea (my husband likes 2 drinks).

Before I say anymore, if you don't know this establishment, it has a tradition situation and air to it. Large glass window at the front, parquet-style floor, grand wooden staircase at the rear, you get the idea. The decoration is tradition but smart, two tone walls with dado rails, two way glass display at entrance and nice tables and chairs. However, the pictures on the walls are cheap faded ones, and the floor is badly in need of resealing. The grand staircase - which may or may not lead to another floor of tables - really needs a sign at the bottom of it, as does the discrete door leading to the toilets, again with no sign on it. As the waitress cheerfully told one customer she intercepted as she tried to head up the stairs looking for the toilets, "everyone thinks it's up there". So why not put a sign saying 'toilet' on the toilet door!! The attractive two way glass display cabinet is full of cheap china, and even worse, the china used is cheap too. My tea cup was slightly stained and the rim was slightly imperfect. Now I know, as an inhabitant of the pottery capital of the uk, that my standards are high, but frankly cheap china is an insult to the customer. Even supermarkets use decent catering china!

The food came after a suitable wait, and to be honest, I don't have that many complains about it - the salad was a bit limp but was garnished with fresh tomato, albeit one quarter each, plus one slither of red pepper each. The portions were good and the food was pleasant, however the children's chips were cheap and a bit greasy, and of course ham with chips is just wrong! The food has saved this 'brasserie' (ha!) from a poor rating. Would like to think the quality will improve, but to be honest, in such a good position, unless there is new management, I can't see it. Oh well.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Cannot believe the poor reviews on this place - unless people are being paid to run the establishment down. we have exacting standards!! Family of four had lovely lunch, sandwiches , spaghettin bolognaise, and then followed with the most AMAZING CAKES!! so moist and light were just amazing the best actually!.. very very friendly and nothing to much trouble so hope that people review this place and list its ratings are really was a very pleasureable and enjoyable lunch
Right by the cathedral really lovely people well done

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Whilst having a weekend break away in Wells, we came across the beautiful market place and thought the scenery would be lovely to look upon whilst eating a light lunch. The Bekynton Brasserie seemed to be everything we were looking for because of its location and appearance. The staff were friendly and greeted us upon arrival before offering us a seat outside. Looking for something light, we ordered an avocado and prawn salad and a chicken liver pâté on toast with a pot of tea. The food came quickly and was presented pleasantly. It was just what we were looking for. We will definitely see you again on our return in October.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Short story: they've got ham & cheese sandwiches and brie sandwiches on the menu but when I asked if I could have a ham & brie sandwiched they "refused"!

Long story: when I asked the girl behind the counter she looked very uncomfortable, saying she would have to go and check. I'd asked very nicely and acknowledged it wasn't strictly on the menu (although the cheese in the ham & cheese wasn't specified) but wasn't really expecting it to be a problem! She came back with another member of staff who said they couldn't do it. I asked why not and asked if I could have a ham sandwich, and some brie separately? Perhaps realising how silly this all was, the second lady said she would check with the chef. We sat down outside until two minutes later, the first girl came out, apologised but said - and I quote - "the chef refuses to do it". Absolutely stunning. We left.

3  Thank Rach_n_Rich
Reviewed 29 June 2013

DO NOT GO HERE! I ate here with my father and mother and we were all very dissapointed with our meals. We went in for lunch and I ordered a BLT sandwich, my dad had a cream tea and my mother had a Ploughmans with Brie. My BLT sandwich was terrible, the bread was thin cardboard value bread that fell apart as I picked it up. My mother's Ploughmans was laughable, barely any pickle, dull limp salad and a stupidly small amount of bread. The amount of bread was ridiculous, you would expect more than a 1inch slice of grey French stick! I wish I'd taken a photo! My fathers cream tea was worse! One measly scone (which wasn't a real scone, very cakey) and clotted cream that was not actually clotted, more likely whisked. Overall the meals were terrible, the waitresses were quite dim and stood there just staring at us. There was absolutely no atmosphere despite being in a prime spot in a beautiful building in the centre of Wells. Basically you couldn't pay me to eat here again- harsh but true!

1  Thank Emzshea