“Very dissapointed with one serious breach of safety. .”
Review of Wookey Hole

Wookey Hole
Ranked #11 of 29 things to do in Wells
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very dissapointed with one serious breach of safety. .”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

A mixed bag occurrences was what we experienced at Wookey hole.

After paying online we still had to wait in the queue in the cold for 30 mins, as did other folk, there were 15 people in front of us but it took 30 mins, what's the point of booking online? And why is their system so slow?

Poor sign posts for santa ment we walked all the way to the caves only to discover it was back at the base of the hill, after finding the grotto and being very dissapointed with it, the elves were very helpful and very polite and curious. .(it was all blue lighted which was a poor choice) santa was rubbish and commanded no presence whatsoever,and inside a room smaller than my toilet, a crappy cuddly toy was given and my paitence was stretched.....

The resteruant food was ok but I'm 38 and my portion was that which ide expect for a 5 year old....

A chat/complaint to one of the duty managers purse used us to stay and so we did and watched the circus show.

The show could not be faulted and was indeed superb,it was spoiled however by a person leaning over the balcony with a beer bottle, if that dropped on a kids head it could be fatal.....This was the last straw and we left.....

After complaining to Wookey hole we received some complementary tickets and a letter acknowledging that beer was not allowed inside the theatre and that said person was missed somehow....They remained resolute that their grotto, signage and booking in ticket system is adequate and problem free....I'm grateful for the tickets and the tone of the correspondence from Wookey hole, i do feel i got the standard generic response and the core problems i indicated won't be addressed at all.....

4 Thank Tapertiger

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Day Out!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Had a really enjoyable Christmas Eve with 3 boys under 4 and a 14 yr old girl.
Loved the caves all lit up with fairy lights and the circus show was great, paper-mill demonstration was fun and Santa was really authentic. Food in restaurant good value for money.Would recommend to my family and friends for next year.
Much better value than seeing Santa at a Garden Centre.

1 Thank Jane H
Gloucester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awful-very disappointed.”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We are really disappointed. We came as a special treat with our very excited 3 year old son. We used a Groupon voucher which states you get in for half price, but that is just a con as it's just for the evening session which means you can not do most of the activities anyway. I personally feel that it was not made at all clear on Groupon that you were not allowed entry earlier in the day and thought the time you booked was the time you saw santa.
The cave tour was a big disappointment, especially after going to Clearwell in previous years. It has so much potential, but I just can't see why exorcism is mentioned on a santa tour. Anybody with the slightest bit of imagination and experience of children could have made this a lovely tour searching for santa.
Santa was good and did spend time talking to our little boy, however the choice of presents really were diabolical. It was more than obvious that it was all cheap, left over stock from Halloween such as pumpkins, skeleton and devil teddy bears, skulls and spiders. Brilliant-how Christmassy.
If they thought I was going to then spend £8 on a photograph on a day I would much prefer to forget,they have another think coming.
Everything just seemed half hearted and shabby.
The reindeer at the end of the tour summed it all up, they seemed like they had had enough and were desperate to get out too.
So much potential, but a very poor day.

4 Thank lucieE84
Well, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't be put off”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I read the negative reviews of Wookey Hole's Santaland and was almost put off taking my family along. I'm really glad I didn't as it turned out to be a really entertaining day that was well worth the money.

Who'd of thought that in December the rain could cause mud on the grass in the overflow car parks?! This is completely irrelevant. So many cars? Yes believe it or not this is a popular attraction and as anyone knows this can mean quite a few cars are present.

Naturally a great attraction also means another thing - queues. Incredible as it may seem we did have to queue. First to go into the caves (15 mins) then to see Santa (also around another 15 minutes). Both totally painless and naturally occurring.

What struck my wife and I was the sheer professionalism of all the guides/helpers/circus performers and our Santa who was amongst the best I've had the pleasure of meeting (there is more than 1?). You could see that all the employees were working hard to make everyones day extra special.

£12.50 per person is really very little when you think that we had a tour around the caves, a circus/panto performance and a trip to see Santa with a gift. Not to mention all of the other elements. Outside Tesco's in Shepton was a Santas grotto charging £5 for 5 minutes and a gift - to think that we got the best part of a days entertainment for 2 and half times that.

Yes the signs around the complex could be improved and yes the overflow car park could have better drainage. Hopefully they'll take these on board for next year when I'll definitely be going back there.

1 Thank Chris Q
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We planned a family day out and pre-booked/pre-paid and spend the day queing! We parked in a very muddy car park then we had to que to get our tickets. After half an hour a member of staff advised that if you had pre-booked you could collect your tickets at the shop! which you then had to stand and que for! We booked a time slot of 11-12 to visit santa and had to wait in line with a excited 2 year old for over an hour!!!!!! lollipops were handed out to children which slightly eased the pain. The shabby tired looking room we waited in was hot and disorganised!! once we finally got to the front of the que and entered 'santa land' we were queuing again to see santa. How you can call this santa land is false advertising!!!! Santa was shabby and very disappointing! We went into the restaurant which was worse than an old school canteen with over priced food slopped on plates and rude staff! The best part of the trip was the children's Christmas circus they were fantastic. However, we were then hurded like sheep out of the building which i am sure wouldn't pass health and safety! no organisation at all and a truly expensive disappointing day!!!

We will not be returning!!

5 Thank Lhylly