“Delicious Food”
Review of The Bishop's Table

The Bishop's Table
Ranked #46 of 94 Restaurants in Wells
Description: The Bishop's Table is a cafe in the historic City of Wells with a view like no other!Nestled in the grounds of the medieval Bishop's Palace you can enjoy lunch, brunch and some of the best coffee and cake you will ever experience. All with a view of a medieval palace building, croquet lawn (complete with croquet players in summer), ruins of a Great Hall and, for those sitting outside on the sunny terrace, an additional view of our neighbour, Wells Cathedral. The Bishop's Table brings you seasonal menus made from fresh, local produce - we even use fruit and vegetables grown on-site in our thriving Community Garden. Fully licensed you can also enjoy a glass of wine or cider with your food. Open daily, hours vary so please visit The Bishop's Palace website and 'Opening Hours' page. Family friendly, children's portions and highchairs available. Dog bowls available outside the cafe. Dogs welcome in the gardens of The Bishop's Palace but must be kept on a short lead. Free WIFI.
Cirencester, Glos,UK
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

On a first time visit to Wells we went in for lunch. Started with small bowls of celeriac soup, which came with excellent warm bread. I love soup, and this was superb. We each had a sandwich, in chunky fresh brown bread. These were beautifully presented, and were top quality. For all this we paid just £16!!! Service was charming.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank cyberce

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

On a trip to Wells and a visit to the cathedral we stumbled upon the Bishop's Table, almost by accident. Our group (Five of us) decided to eat there. We were not disappointed. Two of us had the unfairly maligned 'fish & chips' and it was far better than the name or some of the reviews imply. Lovely fish, potato wedges, coleslaw and mush peas. This was delicious! If I have one complaint it is that it was served in a wire box arrangement which made it a little difficult to eat, but that is being picky as we all thoroughly enjoyed our lunch in pleasant surroundings. At the end of our day we returned for afternoon tea and I had a scone as well. Heaven! A beautiful scone with lashings of jam and cream. This was excellent and worth the visit to Wells on Its' own!!! High recommended place to eat.

• Visited September 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Don't have the fish and potato wedges!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We had some friends from abroad come and visit, so one day we took them to Wells. They were, of course, most impressed by the city itself - the flowers, the town crier, the cathedral. However, it turned out that for one of us the repast we had planned to take at the Bishop's Table was more or less inedible. What a shame. The other meals we had chosen were OK, if a little over-elaborate, and it is unfortunate that we came away with the feeling that we had been to a place which is mainly frequented by tourists who will not come back. What a shame. At £9.95 for the 'fish and chips' compared with the £5.95 we had paid in a pub elsewhere in Somerset which had been most acceptable it was a bit of a rip off...

1 Thank Renate P
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Don't have the fish and chips”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This happened a month ago and the only person to respond to my complaint was a very nice lady from the Bishops Palace. The catering contraters, Harbour & Jones have not commented at all and so i have decided to 'go public' and recomend a visit to the bishops Palace at Wells as it is lovely, but steer clear of the Bishops Table for food!

I took my mother to visit the Bishops Palace and gardens and to also have lunch at the Bishops Table, we ordered ‘Bishop’s Palace cider battered haddock with chips and minted peas’
This was actually large potato wedges and three small pieces of greyish fish in what from the outside was a crispy batter, but inside was yellow and spongy.
The potato wedges where soggy and greasy. To accompany this was two side dishes, one of mushy peas and one of a very nice coleslaw type salad.
We tried to eat this but it was not enjoyable and so I gave the waitress my comments, which she asked me to repeat to the supervisor, both ladies were very polite. The supervisor then asked us to wait and brought the manager out to see us. When he came to our table, the manager stood there and we waited for him to speak, he simply said ‘fish and chips?’ I once again went through our comments and his reply was that no one else has complained and when I replied that many people didn’t like to complain he said ‘yes they do’. I then explained that I had paid £19.90 for the two dishes and didn’t feel that the quality justified this price; he said ‘ sorry it didn’t suit your taste’ (in an insincere manner) and he could give me a comment form to fill in. I told him that if this was his way of dealing with the complaint, I would contact the Bishops Palace direct and not via a form. The manager then said ‘do you want anything else?’ we replied that thank you we did not and he shrugged and walked away. His attitude was rude and aggressive and other diners commented on this saying the response was disgusting.

2 Thank AuntCabbage
Derbyshire
“Try the Garden Salad”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This salad has to be the best value salad anywhere in the area, this was written up as "Light Bite" so I wasn't expecting such a generous portion. Beautifully presented, staff were excellent. Would certainly go there again when I'm next in this area.

1 Thank DerbyshireCook