“my aunt's favourite flapjack! ”
Review of The Bishop's Table

The Bishop's Table
Ranked #40 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Description: The Bishop's Table is a cafe in the historic City of Wells with a view like no other!Nestled in the grounds of the medieval Bishop's Palace you can enjoy lunch, brunch and some of the best coffee and cake you will ever experience. All with a view of a medieval palace building, croquet lawn (complete with croquet players in summer), ruins of a Great Hall and, for those sitting outside on the sunny terrace, an additional view of our neighbour, Wells Cathedral. The Bishop's Table brings you seasonal menus made from fresh, local produce - we even use fruit and vegetables grown on-site in our thriving Community Garden. Fully licensed you can also enjoy a glass of wine or cider with your food. Open daily, hours vary so please visit The Bishop's Palace website and 'Opening Hours' page. Family friendly, children's portions and highchairs available. Dog bowls available outside the cafe. Dogs welcome in the gardens of The Bishop's Palace but must be kept on a short lead. Free WIFI.
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

i come here quite often with my elderly aunt, when i take her out for a day around the area. you don't need to buy a ticket to get to the cafe, and in nice weather like we've had recently, you can sit outside and enjoy the view of the Palace! bonus!
The coffee and cake is always excellent, and their flapjacks...... are the best i've ever tried! my aunt loves them so much, we sometimes buy one extra to take home with her. never had a problem with the service or noticed any dirty tables.... maybe my standards are not as high as some of the previous reviewers, or maybe i don't set out to complain about every place i visit...

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was ok when it first opened. I returned today to visit the Bishop's Palace and decided to have a coffee before visiting the grounds. It was a mistake. There were three people in the restaurant. ...my coffee took twenty minutes to arrive. I had a cappuccino. ...the chocolate topping was slung on to such a degree that it had also covered my partners tea and her plate and the tea pot too. The outside table was filthy with dried on food smearing even its side....shocking. my coffee was luke warm....I complained and it was changed the second was acceptable. When we arrived at the restaurant most tables were covered in dirty crockery we had to shift it ourselves to get a seat. There were half empty bottles of juice behind our table and these we were told were wasp traps.....just bottles the restaurant sells though...I think this is disgusting and it looks appalling. To make things worse we then spotted the dog bowls. ...a nice touch....full of greenish water flys and fag ends. Just how this place gets away with a health check just baffles me. If the front of house is this bad what the heck is going on out the back. If this place has a manager. ...I cant believe it has one,he or she should be sacked. Its an insult to a fine Somerset attraction and the city of Wells. My advice to a traveller take your own food and drink and avoid this dump but do visit the palace. I shall be writing to the palace management team formaly when I return from my holiday!

2  Thank Peter D
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We came here today and stopped at the restaurant for a drink of 1 cappuccino and 1 Earl Grey which arrived after 20 minutes of waiting to find the cappuccino was stone cold and the chocolate was thrown every where expect in the cup it was over the teapot the tea cup and even the milk jug which was not even clean all this for £5 so would avoid at all cost tip Bring your own. Noticed other people sitting around were having to complain as well as the service was appalling and tables were left cluttered with rubbish and filth, and the supposed dog bowl was disgusting with green slime and dead insects so not a good sign for the cleanest of establishments and behind my chair was a filthy bottle with half drink still in it.

1  Thank Marcialetticia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

There happened to be a free table outside as we were passing having visited the gardens and Palace, we ordered egg sandwiches, which arrived on a washed out wooden board , accompanied with pea shoots and salted popcorn. Did not go together, crisps would have been better. The food was ok, nothing special but staff friendly, as other tables outside became empty the dirty plates were not moved for quite a while. One huge advantage the sun was shinning, great backdrop to Palace and a game of croquet was taking place to watch.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

A lovely place to sit outside and enjoy the views of the Bishop's Palace with a good cup of tea and delicious slice of cake. It was even better to get a decent amount of tea - two large cups from each tea pot was really good value. The cake was some of the best homemade cake I've had for a while (and I eat a lot of cake). The staff were a little disorganised and slow but the views (and did I mention the cake?!) were worth it.

1  Thank Curatorgirl