“Disappointed”

Anton's Bistrot
Ranked #30 of 96 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$16 - US$41
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I had been told great things about Antons so decided to give the place a go, I went on 2 seperate occasions and both left me hungry and very dissappointed.
The first I went for a meal with the girls, I ordered a pork belly main course, it came out cold, slightly raw on cold mash and cold veg, the only thing warm about it was the droplet of sauce that came too, not enough for a mouthful....
I always believe in giving places a second chance so when I was asked to go again I said yes....
I ordered the stuffed chicken breast wrapped in parma ham; my guest a burger.
Although my guest assures my his burger was lovely I was more than unhappy when I was presented with a chicken burger??
The server put my food down said "That isn't what you ordered" and walked off? only to appear 5 minutes later to reassure me the mistake wasn't his but the kitchen's?
He then informed me that should I want the meal I actually ordered there would be a 20 minute wait. Now I dont like kicking up a fuss and making a scene especially seeing as my guest is already halfway through his meal so I said no, ate the meat and left it at that.
To their credit I was not charged for my meal, I will however say I wont be giving them a third chance.

CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

We are sorry you had a disappointing meal. As you say, you did not pay for it and we're just sorry that you will not be trying us again.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

Anton's Bistrot does meals that do not match up to setting. The Crown is an ancient hotel from which William Penn once addressed a crowd. I have not stayed on the hotel, so I cannot comment on it. The food leaves much to be desired unless you just want a quick, cheap snack. Certainly not for gourmets! Very nearby in Sadler Street there are some excellent places to eat.

1  Thank Auberon
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

We're sorry to hear your negative feedback, on Trip Advisor. Did you address your issues with our staff when you were here or did you not say anything, preferring to leave derogatory comments on Trip Advisor later instead?

We disagree with you that our food is "not for gourmets" and we are not in the realms of "quick and cheap". Freshly prepared food, using the best local produce, at a reasonable price is more akin to what we're about.

Your opinion, of course, and if you prefer other establishments, please do go there next time.

Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

We visited here on a Thursday night and took advantage of their offer of x 2 steaks, cajun fries and half a carafe of wine for £25. The steaks were cooked to perfection and were really tender. Good value and always a good atmosphere here. I've booked for Xmas lunch, so it can't be bad eh!!

1  Thank 3r1k4
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

How remiss that we haven't responded to your lovely review earlier. Thank you! We're still serving great steaks; you know where to come!

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Food here is excellent. This is the Crown in the film Hot Fuzz.
If you like Hot Fuzz then we went on a Hot Fuzz location tour which was excellent. Go to Google type in Wells Walking Tour and it will give you the details. Run by a lovely lady called Siobhan excellent and can thoroughly recommend it.

CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

We're so pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and the whole Hot Fuzz experience! Have passed your lovely comments onto Siobhan.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Pleasant evening with good food and service. Nice atmosphere and good menu choice. We visited on a Friday evening and could hear the cathedral bells faintly in the background.

CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and the overall atmosphere/ambience! Hope to see you again soon.