“Disappointing, rather expensive and indifferent food”

The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub
Ranked #7 of 94 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
West Country UK
“Disappointing, rather expensive and indifferent food”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Came with my wife for dinner. Whilst it looks generally cosy, at the small table I was sitting at with my back to the door I was in a draught every time someone came or went. The pleasant, young waiting staff took our order fairly quickly. I had a pint of Doom Bar (a favourite) to start with and it wasn't that good. Didn't taste like it had been well kept. I had calamari to start. There weren't many of the rings and they had the consistency and taste of the sort of frozen calamari one gets from a supermarket. Sauce was nice and garlicy though. Had the rib eye which was fine and cooked rather more than I would have thought medium rare should be. Can't remember which sauce I had as it was totally unmemorable and could have been preprepared. Pricey at £17.95 for an 8oz steak round here. The highlight of the meal was the taste of the lovely rustic chips, which were delicious. My wife had the duck breast which came unexpectedly with couscous (not a favourite of hers) and a mountain of carrots. Neither couscous or carrots appeared on the menu. Can't remember what wine we had but I thought it was more expensive than it should have been for the qualty. In all, expensive for what was, I thought, very standard pub food.

4 Thank JuanAppleyard
Craig H, Owner at The Fountain Inn Gastro Pub, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We can only help you on the evening if you have any issues-please just ask we wont bite I promise! If your Doom-bar was not right we would have gladly replaced it and checked to see if there was any issue with the barrel. The menu clearly states Couscous with the duck, I cannot be held responsible for your wife's taste in food and not reading our menu clearly - please view on line to confirm. It is December, and with both a fire and dimple blow curtain above the door, we are making every effort to make our customers comfortable. If you had booked with us, which you didn't, you could have requested a table away from the door. I reserve comment on the pricing of our menu, as we have always had a good reputation of having a reasonably priced menu. Our wine selection was put together by a head Sommelier in London and is a good balance of well priced and excellent quality wines...sorry they are again not to your personal taste! We checked back on your table- Table 2, several times on Monday evening, and you and your wife confirmed you were happy, so how when you leave our establishment does it all change?

dorset
“Amazing food”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Fantastic food served at the restaurant in a lovely warm setting,with a roaring log fire and candle light around the room.
The staff were very polite and helpful, The vegetarian lasagne was superb and so filling. All the portions were a good size and well presented. They also had real ale at the bar and a good wine list.
It was so good we booked for the following night.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Good, but could have been better!”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Lovely pub, very good service from the waitresses. Unfortunately the Ploughman's wasn't what it said on the menu. It came with cured ham (which was actually great), salami (unexpected) and poor quality Cheddar (one piece came with a dried edge, the other had a grated edge, and neither were excellent, matured Cheddar). The chutney was good. There was no pork pie and no other ham, as described on the menu. So a disappointment, though when I queried it, the waitress did bring me some pork terrine which was good. The salad was well-dressed, and my partner's quiche was excellent. So, we'd come again, but we hope the ingredients would be as described and as good quality as possible.

Somerset UK
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We met some friends here for lunch and as it happened to be a Tuesday we enjoyed the over 60's lunch with 2 courses for £9.00. Really tasty food and generous portions complimented by some nice South African wine. No problems with service on our visit. We shall come again but just a pity that it is too far to come for an evening

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good food in a lovely little boozer!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I ate here with my WIfe on a recent stay down near Wells. The food was very good and the beer was equally fantastic but only down side I would note was the speed of the service. The staff on duty were quite young and therefore not very experienced thus lacking in the attentiveness of the 'older' member of staff who dealt with us later on but i'm sure with the obvious high standards these minor issues will be resolved. The seating is over two levels so I would advise if you want a quieter meal then ask for a table upstairs but if you like a bit of atmosphere in your eatery then grab a spot downstairs!

• Visited October 2013