“Surprisingly very good food despite other shortcomings - 75/100”
Review of Goodfellows

Goodfellows
Reserve with OpenTable
Goodfellows is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 94 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$86 - US$86
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Athens, Georgia
“Surprisingly very good food despite other shortcomings – 75/100”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We booked this restaurant online and expected to have a reserved table when we arrived. There was no evidence that our reservation had been made. Fortunately there was a spare table as we had made an early reservation but had we been an hour later I am not sure we would have had a table.

The waiter who initially served us gave us a menu but didn’t ask whether we wanted a drink. He rushed off before we had time to ask him and so we had to wait until the return of the other waiter to take our order before we had a drink.

I had no previous experience of this restaurant and after this start I thought this might be a restaurant that focused on quantity rather than quality and so neither of us ordered a starter – mistake! I chose Hake and it was the best Hake I have ever eaten. My wife chose the pork. The belly pork and the black pudding were to die for but the pork loin was a little tough. The presentation of both dishes was up there with the very best Michelin starred restaurants. The tarte du jour was cherry and was also beautifully presented but the taste was even better.

The restaurant is quite small and unprepossessing.

The final annoyance was the bill. There is no a la carte option for the fish – it comes as part of a £35 three course menu. My wife’s pork cost £17, my two courses were £28. The a la carte price of the tarte du jour was £5.50 and I would have expected the fish to be a similar price to the pork.

To me food is the main part of assessing a restaurant and if it were just food I would have rated this as an outstanding restaurant but I cannot ignore the shortfalls in service so only 75/100 I am afraid.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mike L

Wells, United Kingdom
“Last minute choice - superb as ever”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

food quality, detail & care over presentation, relaxed ambiance - and a nice chat with Adam to round off a great evening

Visited June 2014
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Patisserie to die for”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Goodfellows is a great restaurant, I eat here regularly when meeting up with girlfriends for a light lunch and catch up gossip. The staff are excellent even when they are busy and the food has never disappointed. There aren't many places around here where you can get such a good quality meal and the Patisserie is delight and we always leave with a take out box! The restaurant is lovely for special occasions when you want to push the boat out.

• Visited June 2014
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

On a return visit to Wells we decided to pop into Goodfellows and sample their evening menu and we weren't disappointed. As it was a fairly warm night we asked to sit outside and the staff were happy to reset a table and even though we were the only people out there they didn't forget us while they concentrated on the tables inside and we had just the right amount of service. The menu here isn't hugely extensive but what you do get is a good selection of excellent food with really good presentation. Neither of us could fault any of our three courses but for me the special mention has to go to the pork plate which had a fantastic array of flavours while my boyfriend can't speak highly enough of the chocolate cheesecake. We paid around £75 for three courses each, two glasses of wine and coffee which we felt was worth it and we will certainly be going back.

• Visited July 2014
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Read other reviews with interest!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Notably Goodfellows has the potential to be a source of great food in Wells but as someone who lives in Wells, I can confirm the place has been on my blacklist for some time simply because of the rudeness of the owners and staff. I would not have bothered to write this review but I note with interest, other people also commenting on their poor experience. I do agree their lunch has the potential to be great value but sorry, surly staff, arrogant owners and rude management means I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013