“Fantastic as usual”

Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Yet another fantastic meal,
We need to visit more often,was very busy and the restaraunt manager done everything himself due to being let down by the other waiter ,fantastic service and food,everyone's plates where clean and not once did we see anybody let down,can't praise this little gem of a restaraunt more.well done for a fantastic valentines lunch.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We joined four friends to dine at this restaurant. I asked the front of house manager who was taking our order if I could have my lamb cooked medium not pink, to my astonishment he rudely replied no because the chef would not cook it any other way and if I didn't like it I should order something else. All of us are use to dinning out at good restaurants including Michelin star restaurants where a chef has never refused to cook a meal to the customers requirements ,after all we the customer are paying for our food. The rudeness from the manager and the shocking approach of the chef to his customers will ensure neither of us visit this restaurant again. In future we will cross the road to Goodfellows where customers are put first and the chef is prepared to go out of his way to ensure his customers requirements are met. We were not the only unhappy customers in this restaurant that night the service was very slow and slap dash.

5  Thank Peter D
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have been dining in this hidden gem for 4 years. The lunch deal is hard to beat, bearing in mind you may pay £15 in a local pub for a steak where as £18.50 here, gets you 3 courses of fantastic bistro dishes. The dining room is light and airy with a relaxed atmosphere with views of the cathedral from the raised area, the real star however is the food. Thierry front of house manages to make service simple, polite and informed, a sadly neglected skill in so many establishments these days. The limited choice of dishes, 6 at dinner 4 at lunch per course, may put the more fussy diner off, I on the other hand, am normally in a dilemma as to which to choose. Experience has taught me that behind the simple description on the menu, Ian is able to elevate basic ingredients to make sublime dishes without being too clever or fussy. When eating out I rarely stretch to 3 courses, normally opting for starter and main, however the deserts here never disappoint and I can always seem to make room. A fantastic wine list including 4 house whites and reds available by the glass, never disappoint. I have introduced family and friends to Ian's food over their years and no one has every been disappointed, most return and introduce others.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had a wonderful dinner here in this lovely atmospheric restaurant in the centre of town. Very tasty and well presented food and not overly expensive. Staff were friendly and attentive.

All in all an excellent meal out.

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

A rather disappointing meal sadly made worse by a somewhat supercilious maître d. A word of advice to any prospective Customer - if ordering meat, do not request a personal preference on how your meat is cooked - maître d will inform you that chef (patron) will only cook it one way - his way!

Three extremely inedible meals (tough old meat strangely enough) did not bring an apology, merely an offer of a replacement which was disappointing considering this then threw the sequence of the meal out with the remaining members of our party.

Having commented on the attitude of the Maître d it would be fair to add that, if you are a regular you clearly get a better level of service.

Potential sadly not realised due, in a large part, to front of house

2  Thank rjm123