“Excellent scrambled egg, so-so coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Andre's Cafe

Andre's Cafe
Ranked #6 of 92 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“Excellent scrambled egg, so-so coffee”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This little cafe served up the best scrambled egg and the best toast ever. Really, really good. Sadly, the filter coffee was a little weak for my taste. I would warn - it is advertised at £1.60 with free top ups but they actually charge £2 per cup. I ended up spending £2.40 more than I'd expected. Still, the breakfast more than made up for that, just be aware. On the food alone I'd give it 5 stars.

• Visited June 2014

Wells, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I ate here the other day and had the bacon, Brie and cranberry sandwich and a cup of tea. My husband had the homemade roasted tomato and basil soup and it was out standing. Will be back very soon :)

• Visited June 2014
somerst
“should be called Heinz cafe”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

first impression was a buzzing charming cafe, nice decor, friendly service. However,........we ordered the homemade tomato soup - or not - the skill to open a tin of Heinz tomato soup must be huge - absolutely revolting, such a disappointment after the appearance, and nice waitress.

• Visited May 2014
holidayman028, Owner at Andre's Cafe, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Now really, you think my soup tastes like its from a tin????? That is to me an absolute insult. In 28 yrs of being a Chef I have never EVER had a complaint about my soup and to say it tastes like its from a tin, tells me that you have absolutely no idea about quality food.
My tomato soup ingredients.
Fresh sweet plum tomatoes
Pepper
Cider vinegar
sugar

Method.
Roast tomatoes with a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper until dark in colour to intensify the flavour.
Add a dash of olive oil to a deep pan, add all the mirepoix (This is chopped assorted root vegetables for the AMATURE people out there)
Sweat the vegetables with a lid on until nice and tender and all the vegetables are well cooked.
Add the flour to absorb the olive oil and to make a roux.
Add the boiling chicken stock to the vegetables while whisking to avoid any lumps.
Turn down a simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
Add the roasted tomatoes and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Reduce the cider vinegar and sugar and pour into the soup. (this is called a gastric to the AMATURE)
Liquidise the soup and pass through a fine sieve. Season with salt and pepper and add chopped fresh basil.

I cannot tell you the quantity of ingredients because its TOP SECRET and I would not want a major manufacturer of soup to steal my recipe and make millions.
I would suggest to take a visit to the Drs to check your taste buds as I think you may have a case of tinnyitous LOL
Wells, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have been here a couple of times now, on each occasion have been greeted by friendly staff and the food, (cooked breakfast) was very well prepared and presented.

Visited May 2014
Cheshire
“Make sure you have the dark haired waitress!!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The food was excellent and we really enjoyed it. The dark haired waitress took our order and was very pleasant. The dyed hair waitress threw our coffees on the table. The other waitress brought our lunch thankfully. The dyed hair waitress ignored us when we wanted to pay. It would have been easier to walk out than pay! Because she knew we were waiting even though the other waitress had asked her to help us she deliberately went to three other tables first. Then was making gestures to the chef about us. Real shame!! Apart from the coffee incident we had enjoyed our lunch, but we left angry that we had spent our money there! She certainly left a bad taste and we will not be returning when she is there. At no point were we rude or demanding just patient and annoyed.

• Visited May 2014