“Small things matter” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ego Mediterranean Restaurant - Lichfield

Ego Mediterranean Restaurant - Lichfield
Ranked #8 of 149 Restaurants in Lichfield
Price range: US$16 - US$51
Good for: View, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ego Lichfield is our most picturesque yet. Enjoy the friendly service and sensational food whilst enjoying the unrivalled views of the minster and minster pool.
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Small things matter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We didn't book so had to have a drink at the bar before being seated. Unfortunately we had FIVE servers throughout the meal, which is a shame. We had a bottle of red, a sharing starter & shared a pudding, this came to just under £100.

The food was nice an the staff friendly enough but for such a expensive meal we would expect a few BASIC things.

The olives were pitted.. Nor was there anyway to put the stones!
Paper napkins?! would expect better as this is not a cheap restaurant.

All in all I would say the food was good but the experience average. Nicer places to eat in Lichfield for cheaper.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
JMRidgway, Guest Relations Manager at Ego Mediterranean Restaurant - Lichfield, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Many thanks for your honest and frank review and we're sorry to read about your dining experience with us. Ego Restaurants prides itself on great food and great customer service and it seems that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, I would be be grateful if you could please forward your contact details to info@egorestaurants.co.uk to enable our General Manager to contact you to discuss your visit. Best wishes

• Polish first
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Long wait!!!!!!!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Eaten here many times and it's frustrating beacuse I have very mixed views on the place! My friend and I had a tabe booked for 8pm on a recent Friday. After much confusion at the reception they decided we DID have a table booked but wouldn;t be ready yet so had drink at the bar. 40 mins later we were taken to our table. Further 15 mins we gave our order....further 15 mins I chased our bottle of wine....only to have 2 beers arrive (beacusde that''s what we had at the bar!) A nice gesture would have been to give us those (it is what I would do as I work in customer service!). After that the drinks and food arrived at normal speed.The waitress did apologise too for slow service. However, this is a resturant that wants to attract customers, it wants to be full......so if that's the case the staff should cope! On the whole the food is good - prices maybe tad high for what you get but it's a nice atmosphere and on that basis I give a 3 othewise it would be a 2 rating! Would come back and prob will so will see how my next review goes!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Lichfield
“Warning - Check the price of the specials before ordering”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We've just returned from a great two week holiday and to finish off the holiday we decided to pop out for dinner at Ego, one of our favourite local restaurants that we've visited many many times. My husband and I decided which starter and main course we would like and when the waitress came to take our order she mentioned the specials, one of which was Rack of Lamb, but no price was mentioned, neither did we ask the price. I also didn't notice a specials board anywhere in the restaurant either. Being partial to lamb, we both selected the Rack of lamb though when it arrived my husband said he would definitely require a desert as there wasn't much on his plate. The rack comprised of three lamp chops, sitting on wilted spinach, with a small cheesy thing and two small new potatoes each sitting on a sun-dried tomato. The dish was good though if I'm being really critical, it was a little too cheesy. However when we received the bill I was shocked to discover that the cost of the special was £21.95. No way was the dish worth this amount, it was worth a maximum of £15.00. I mentioned this to the waitress when she arrived t take payment and she apologised and said she would pass on our comments. Not good enough, a disappointing end to what had been a lovely evening and we won't be rushing back for a while and when we do, we will definitely steer clear of the specials offered.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham
“So tired of waiting....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is my second review of Ego this year. The first one was titled 'The Best Customer Service EVER'. Unfortunately, this review will be the polar opposite.

We ate here on a very quiet Friday afternoon. 4 of us ordering from the Lunch Rapido menu with 2 kids having meals selected from the childrens menu.

First and foremost the food was very good. However, at £8.95 for a SMALL main and a drink, I think it's overpiced. Interestingly, most of the restaurants and cafes in Lichfield were busy on this warm day....Ego had only a handful of people in. I think this tells its own story.

The main gripe however was the service. It was just so slow and lethargic. Getting anyones attention was virtually impossible. For example, we wanted another round of drinks yet it took 10 mins to get a waitress's attention. It then took another 5 mins for the drinks to be brought to the table. We also wanted to order 4 deserts, but again on-one came. In the end we gave up....so Ego missed out on £25-£30 worth of orders.

And the reason why the service was so poor....???? The staff were too pre-occupied with folding napkins!! No joke. This 'job' seemed to go on for ever. Most of the staff seemed to be getting involved in folding green napkins. So much so that they were totally oblivious to the customers needs! Why oh why this couldn't be done outside of service, I don't know!

I probably will come back to Ego, but before I order i will make sure that all of the napkins have been folded first!!

For a lunchtime, there are much better value restaurants and cafes close by.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BluZulu
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

A lively, buzzing atmosphere on the night we had a wedding anniversary meal. Food was exceptional, staff all friendly esp. waitress with cute pink hair! It gave a us night to remember, thanks folks.....

1 Thank BJH704
Thank you for your kind words, we are so pleased you enjoyed your recent visit and hope to see you again soon