“Pleasant & peaceful”

National Memorial Arboretum
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Lichfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The National Memorial Arboretum is the UK's year-round centre of Remembrance. With 150 acres of beautiful woodland and gardens to explore and over 300 unique memorials to see, you're sure to be fascinated by our many memorials and the amazing stories and symbolism behind them. Entry is free. To help you make the most of your visit; guided walks, tours and trails, learning activities, exhibitions, a restaurant and a gift shop are also available.
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Pleasant & peaceful”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I visited this venue with my veteran husband and young family. It is a very beautiful, peaceful and thought provoking place. We were all there for different reasons - my husband wanted to see the memorials (and recognised a name of one or two comrades), I am interested in history and also like the landscaping, my 5 yr old daughter enjoyed 'tree spotting' with her book and had a chat with some WW1 soldiers, and my 2 yr old enjoyed just being pushed around in his buggy and a bit or a run around later on. We completed the self-led family trail, which is now proudly stuck inside my daughter's holiday diary. We had a meal in the restaurant , where the food was good. A lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon, for example. If I lived more locally, I would come here more often.

2 Thank Sarah L

• Polish first
Wanaka, New Zealand
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Do Not Pass Bye without a visit”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Whether a serviceman or not you cannot fail to be moved by the peace and tranquillity of the arboretum. The ever increasing number of memorials are tastefully included into the arboretum. Stop and talk to someone there and listen to their story. Be at peace with the memorial

Visited July 2014
1 Thank DJandR
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“really worth a visit !”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

beautiful place, well kept, gardens really nice, feeling of peace and a lesson to all of us after a few hours here.

Poole, United Kingdom
175 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 237 helpful votes
“Thought provoking”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Free to enter, but all profits from the very good restaurant or souvenirs go towards the upkeep of this memorial Arboretum. Memories will be provoked from the areas from all forces from all over the world. Consider that there are some 15000 names on the central memorial, and these are only since the second world war. If you have connection with the forces or have had the misfortune to have lost someone in conflict, this is a must to visit.

Hinckley, United Kingdom
251 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Very moving”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I visited this attraction thinking that I was merely going to see a war memorial. Oh boy was I surprised..... There are around 300 memorials varying from the large forces memorial on a huge mound to a simple memorial for still born babies. Every force from all over the world is represented including a special building for the Far East, Burma railway, River Kwai. It is extremely moving - we picked a day that wasn't particularly busy. There are volunteers everywhere with lots of tales to tell. The cafe serves reasonable food and although it is free to enter there is a £3 car park charge. We spent most of the day there and still didn't see it all...... We actually didn't see one of the main memorials called 'Shot at dawn' which is a memorial to all deserters shot during WW1.

2 Thank Sue K