“nice but”

Netherstowe House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Lichfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 December 2013

nice rooms lovely and clean staff very pleasant.but a lack of communication between staff seams to be a problem no milk in room for making a drink breakfast first day good with real tea second day tea bags 6 bean breakfast some of it over cooked other parts not cooked a enough coffee served cold milk curdled run short of black pudding and on the bill a charge for weekend? of £2.50 price of £135.00 per night is over the top

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reg M
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for your review and compliments regarding the Minster Room’s décor and cleanliness and our team’s friendliness. I am sincerely sorry for the highlighted aspects of your stay which left you less than satisfied. We do not stock Longlife milk in bedrooms as we prefer to serve our guests fresh milk - which you declined. We do care deeply about the quality of our food and the full grill breakfast you ordered comprised free-range eggs, award winning dry-cured bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast and herby sausages specially made for us by our friendly local butcher. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for running out of our popular black pudding during your second morning service but we were delighted to substitute this item for you, and if you had advised us at the time that you were unhappy with your food and coffee we would have prepared both again for you from fresh. The £135.00 tariff for the room you reserved is per room per night, (based on double occupancy), and includes breakfast, WiFi, homemade biscuits and in-room refreshments, on-site car parking, maid service, use of the private gymnasium and VAT. We feel this offers excellent value for money and that it is only right that additional items such as Sunday papers purchased throughout your stay should be added to the bill. We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was impressed with the attitude of hotel staff when I had to move my booking twice due to unforeseen circumstances and they were helpful and flexible with my requests. The service which my wife and I received during our stay yesterday was excellent and exceeded our expectations. If only other hotels could deliver this standard of service. The room was spotlessly clean and food was excellent - nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely be recommending Netherstowe House.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

What a fantastic review. I was delighted to read that the excellent standards of service, housekeeping and food both you and Mrs. O'reilly experienced exceeded your expectations. At Netherstowe House our team believe that excellence is an attitude and so it is our philosophy to empower great people who are plugged into our culture and understand our values to use their common sense to make our guests happy. Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I have visited Netherstowe House on previous occasions and overall it has been a pleasant experience but you rarely find the same staff twice.Our waitress was pleasant and attentive and the Sunday menu was somewhat poor in choice and the Bream was very small in size for the price.
There was a party of women and the staff appeared stretched so when I finished my coffee I had to go looking for someone to pay and eventually directed to a bar where a waiter appeared to press a few keys on the till and a credit card tab was produced, no detailed list of items we had consumed. It was only on my return home that I felt I had been overcharged and when I phoned the hotel I was asked to "e" mail them with the details of my concern and it would be dealt with immediately. By midday the following day I had still not heard anything from them so I "e" mailed them again asking them to have the courtesy to reply. I did eventually later that day receive a call from someone who said that two extra meals had been booked to our table which she apologised for and said she would credit my card. That was Monday November 18th it is now Friday 22nd and no credit has appeared on my statement. It is possible they have dealt with it but like all our experiences with Netherstowe there is no sense of urgency. Having received no detailed list of our consumables, being overcharged to the tune of £35.00 having to make a phone call, two "e" mails and waiting for what looks like the best part of a week before receiving my money back is unacceptable. There seems to be a gross lack of customer care. I would have apologised profusely and offered a voucher of some description something at least to entice me back, after all said and done if I hadn't of noticed they would have benefitted to the tune of £35.00 for their gross lack of attention to detail.
I will not be returning !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ron u
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for your review. Whilst you have always enjoyed attentive hospitality and pleasant service when dining at Netherstowe House I am sincerely sorry that your experience with us rectifying the error on your recent bill was neither what you hoped for nor what it should have been and I wish I could turn back the clock.

Your case is, of course, known to us as our Accounts Manager liaised with you on Monday 18th November. I have your telephone number and, following my call to personally speak with you on Friday 22nd, felt reassured to understand that your full refund had in fact been previously dealt with and cleared in your bank and that you will now be returning to Netherstowe House soon.

As discussed, in the interest of the readers of this forum, I do need to clarify that when you called on Sunday evening our Accounts Manager was not in the office and that you were politely advised that she would call you back immediately upon her return on Monday afternoon.

I wish that the member of our team with whom you originally corresponded had been aware of the level of the unhappiness that you have portrayed here so that we could have reassured you of our desire to resolve the issue urgently. I really would not wish this to be seen as justifying any of the shortfalls. As mentioned in my opening paragraph, your visit should have been nothing but enjoyable and that is what we work for passionately each and every day. If we fail we are very keen to put it right and I look forward to doing a better job for you next time.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Four of us had a reasonably nice dinner in September for a "big" birthday of mine. The only criticism was that we had to share an ice bucket with another table on the other side of the room, so we had to wait until a waitress was available to pour our wine ?.?
So when looking for a wedding venue for a small party, we decided to enquire at Netherstowe house. I rang to speak to the events organiser four times, without any success, We needed to adjust the time of our dinner by a half hour, and were told that to do so, we would need to pay for the whole restaurant's lunch covers I.e. £2,500 because they would be unable to turn the room round in time ! Needless to say we have booked elsewhere, and won't be breaking our necks to visit Netherstowe house again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janescalebor
NetherstoweHouse, General Manager at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your review. In every business, there are employees who are the first contact with the guest. These people can come across either as agents or as gatekeepers. An agent makes things happen for others. A gatekeeper sets up barriers to keep people out. At Netherstowe House we are proud to pack our Hospitality Team with friendly agents who are genuinely on the side of our guests. As politely advised on each occasion you called, our Events Coordinator was on annual leave, however a member of her team would have been delighted to discuss your specific requirements in greater detail. Our affordable luxury wedding packages start from just £35.00 per person and are served during our 1:00pm to 5:00pm lunch time service or 7:00pm to 11:00pm evening meal service. Time restrictions apply to the dining room and lounge areas in consideration of other guests so whilst we are delighted to exclusively reserve all these areas throughout the day and evening we are able to do so at the same price. Our House Wedding Package is priced at £99.00 per person and in addition to a fine dining three course menu includes a choice of Prosecco or Pimms arrival drink, half bottle of red, white or rose wine per guest, flutes of fizz for toasts and freshly brewed tea or coffee with Petit Fours. Netherstowe house is family run, and we pride ourselves on providing a truly professional service with a warm and caring style, tailored to our guests individual needs. We know the importance of making wedding day celebrations special and always aim to do what we do best; host a sophisticated, stylish and intimate event on your behalf creating priceless memories. It was a pleasure to host your birthday party in September and the whole team sincerely hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Netherstowe House is an oasis of calm, in the middle of a busy housing estate. Difficult to find but well worth the effort. The whole experience was excellent, from the greeting in the car park (complete with umbrella) to the quality of the rooms and the superb dinner. But most of all it was the service: polite, attentive, personal, and second to none.
We had a wonderful time and I can't rate the hotel high enough.
One little query… why did they serve wine in the water glasses and water in the wine glasses.
When I asked, it what they always did?? Strange.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your gem of a review. It was a pleasure to read and we absolutely agree with you that the team of friendly service professionals who animate Netherstowe House have the greatest impact on our success. Because hospitality is a dialogue, we will always place the highest premium on selecting the best possible people to engage our guest and I am therefore truly delighted that you had a wonderful time experiencing polite, attentive and personal service throughout the duration of your stay with us. We all very much look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Netherstowe House soon and until then, best wishes from the whole team.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

What an experience, staff very attentive, couldn't do enough for you. Hotel décor beautifully executed, quite quirky. Bed was really comfy, room very clean. Breakfast was lovely and the service was second to none. Made our stay very special, would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz G
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thank you for choosing Netherstowe House for your break away and for your excellent review. The whole team were absolutely delighted that we were able to make your stay so special and please do come back and visit us again for another well deserved vacation. Until then, best wishes from the whole team.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Our second visit and we were expecting a similar experience. Very disappointed in the service and the food . Only two choices of desert not offered sorbet or cheese or coffees - would not go back - such a shame

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Sharpey01
NetherstoweHouse, Manager at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your review. We genuinely do care that each of our guests enjoy a high level of dedicated hospitality and so I felt compelled to personally reach out by calling you to understand your experience more thoroughly. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed both fabulous service and food on your previous visit to Netherstowe House and that you experienced likewise on your second visit up until dessert course when I am sincerely sorry that you felt a dip in the level of service you quite rightly expect. I did speak to other guests from that night who thought the food superb and the service 'Netherstowe House’s usual relaxed and attentive standard', but this was not the case for you, and we sincerely regret this. We are absolutely accountable to the precision and consistency of dedicated hospitality and I apologise that we sold out of the dessert you wished to order. I am pleased that you will now be returning to Netherstowe House and the whole team very much look forward to warmly welcoming you back. Until then, very best wishes.