“Outstanding boutique hotel with fine dining”

Netherstowe House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Lichfield B&B and Inns
essex
“Outstanding boutique hotel with fine dining”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Great touch from from the start, check in in the car park while they carried our cases, And it just got better. Outstanding boutique hotel with fine dining and their own sausages. Room, the penthouse, beautiful and quirky, others in the party v happy with theirs incl. one in the apartment. a must visit

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank holidaylover00
NetherstoweHouse, Owner at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear “holidaylover00”

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. We are so pleased that you and all your party guests had a wonderful stay from start to finish and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warmest regards,

Ben and the team at Netherstowe House Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Since lunchtime on Tuesday I have been unable to stop waxing lyrical about my fantastic experience at Netherstowe House Hotel!

From the second we drove onto the car park, we were greeted by Anna, who kindly guided me whilst reversing as the car park is a little tight. This was a lovely personal touch which made us feel special. She introduced herself to me and my friend and showed us to a table to order drinks whilst we waited for our table for lunch. The room was beautifully decorated and furnished opulently. A lovely waitress escorted us to our table in the brasserie which was reached by way of a steep staircase, she kindly carried our drinks for us. We passed some beautifully light and bright rooms, again beautifully furnished and decorated.

The food was delicious and was presented immaculately. We really enjoyed our food and will definitely be returning.

We later took coffee in the garden which was delightful. If I had any gripe (and it's not a complaint) it would be that the brasserie, although interesting, was lacking atmosphere. There was only our table and one other (a business lunch) and on such a lovely afternoon, it seemed a shame to be away from sunlight and the chatter that was evident upstairs in the hotel. I'm sure at night with more people it would be a much more cosy environment. We had the express menu and maybe it is only served downstairs.

In conclusion, we had a fantastic time, we experienced impeccable service by all of the staff, the food and the hotel were faultless and we shall most certainly be returning. Thank you.

1 Thank MC100
NetherstoweHouse, Owner at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear “MC100”

Thank you for visiting Netherstowe House and for writing such a fantastic review! It is great to have such positive feedback about our lunch, hospitality and dining rooms. We will of course take your little pointers on board to continue providing a wonderful service. We look forward to seeing you again soon and Anna passes on her very best wishes.

Warmest regards,

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

From the moment we began to drive down the driveway it was quite clear that Netherstowe House really is that hidden gem that critics have so often described it. Immediately upon arriving we were greeted and assisted with our bags by a very well presented and friendly concierge who insisted he carry them to the apartment. We was then given the ins and outs of the apartment at which point he then left, insisting we don't hesitate to call if there were any questions or problems. First impressions are everything nowadays and Netherstowe House exceeded all expectations. What's more was that this kind and friendly service was mirrored throughout every single aspect of our stay.

The apartment we stayed in was perfect. It was both spacious and modern with beautiful oak furniture and elegant sofas. For our single night stay, we wasn't able to make full use of all of the apartments features such as cooker and hob etc, however, the apartment serves all the needs of both short and long term guests. The apartment was spotless and didn't show an ounce of wear and tear unlike most others.

We had made a booking at their cellar steakhouse after cancelling another reservation elsewhere. This decision most certainly wasn't doubted once we had been served the most perfectly cooked fillet steak accompanied by home-made chunky chips. The portions were just the right size so that we felt comfortable after our meal without feeling the need to eat more. Again, the service in this aspect was second to none and fell nothing short of what I now highly expected of the hotel. Breakfast service was swift and efficient and all of the meat was undoubtedly of the best quality. If anything my cooked breakfast was slightly on the cold side, however, this certainly wasn't a reason to complain.

In summary to our stay, I can honestly say that the service we received from Netherstowe house was second to none. It is the first time I have stayed at accommodation that genuinely cares about every aspect of your stay. And when you want to add that unique touch to your stay, Netherstowe House will bend over backwards for you to ensure you get what you want. Our stay was worth every single penny we spent and there's not a single doubt that we shall recommend them to anyone looking to stay in the area. Thankyou!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear “Charlie G”,

Wow – what an absolutely fantastic review. The whole team were truly thrilled to read it and we all loved the title! Netherstowe House is a place where the genuine care and comfort of our guests is our team’s highest mission. Everyday we pledge to provide service with soul and caring, gracious hospitality so it makes us very proud indeed that you were able to experience how special you genuinely are to us. I trust you had a nice journey home to Devon and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you may be visiting Staffordshire again.

Lichfield
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I took my daughter and three of her friends for afternoon tea to celebrate her birthday, in fact we're just come home.

I'm local to Netherstowe House however, for various reasons, I have never visited before. I'm always hearing from friends, family and also in the local press just how wonderful the place is and we were all very excited leading up to the visit, which had been booked and planned a few weeks ago.

Entrance to the hotel is through a typical suburban housing estate, but I knew this - so no shock here. However, once in the driveway you find yourself in an oasis of calm. The driveway is surrounded by greenery, the house itself charming.

We were greeting in the car park, approached by a gentleman, who I assume was the Maitre De. He took us a little by surprise, making one of the girls jump a little, yet no harm done.

Once inside, I think we were all pleasantly surprised by the surroundings, sumptuous, luxurious - yes, very pleasing. However, our experience went down hill from this point.

Once seated in the lounge we were left with a tea menu, the girls however preferring hot chocolate and orange juice, no problem we were advised. Our order for drinks was taken and drinks were delivered followed by our pre-ordered afternoon teas, beautifully presented on three tear plates. I had ordered a traditional afternoon tea and asked for a low-fat option, due to my inability to digest fat. I was a little shocked to find that my sandwiches consisted of two tomato sandwiches and two cucumber sandwiches - no tuna, no salmon, no ham - all low fat options, yet I was given a full fat desert! This confused me slightly.

The girls, all chose the chocolate indulgence afternoon tea - not one of them ate the sandwiches, explaining to me that they found them sickly. The sweets/deserts on their plates were described as being "incredibly rich". The scones, on all plates were dry. I know that scones should be "short" but, these were very dry.

I ordered a second hot chocolate but had to ask for it again as it was never bought to our table.

When I asked for our bill, I found that I had been charged £12.00 extra as the girls substituted a pot of tea for orange juice and hot chocolate. They didn't have this in addition to a pot of tea, but instead of - not good practice, especially not to inform me that this would be chargeable!

To sum up, I have just paid £109 for five people to have four sandwiches each, a tiny square of a chocolate mouse type cake, a scone with butter and jam, a tiny macaroon and a chocolate pot or raspberry desert.

My rating reflects the fact that I think my expectations were high - given the hype the place has. For me, Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons is leaps ahead, I know it's a drive away, but it certainly has the wow factor - regretfully the place on my doorstep didn't.

I did laugh at the feedback card though - one question asked me if I was "proud" to have visited Netherstowe House - err, no! You should be proud that I have decided to give you MY custom.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
NetherstoweHouse, Owner at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear “LichfieldFamily3”,

It is never pleasant to read a review of a guest who was not entirely satisfied as the whole team here really do work passionately every day in creating meaningful memories for all our valued guests. In your case I can see how disappointed you were and I therefore felt compelled to personally telephone you. I was ultimately pleased to learn that overall you valued your visit but I would like to take the opportunity to sincerely apologise again for the misinterpretation of your low fat dietary requirement and incorrect charge. As discussed, at Netherstowe House we genuinely put a premium on our guests being truly nourished and enjoying affordable luxury so please do not hesitate to let us know on the day if anything is ever not to your liking in the future and our team will be delighted to remedy it for you immediately. For Afternoon Tea we serve a selection of popular traditional finger sandwiches – free-range egg and cress / Staffordshire ham / oak smoked Scottish salmon with cream cheese / locally grown cucumber / mature cheddar and chive – with freshly baked scone, Devonshire clotted cream and strawberry preserve. The assortment of homemade treats, sweets and fancies included in our chocolate themed afternoon tea are unashamedly indulgent and those served to your party yesterday comprised dark chocolate and caramel mousse garnished with fresh raspberries, chocolate French macaroon, trio of truffles, warm chocolate brownie and hot chocolate on a stick. Whilst our Chocolate Indulgence Afternoon Tea is extremely popular and much loved I realise and regret that it was not to your daughter’s personal taste but having had the pleasure to speak with you I am now delighted that you will both be returning soon and the team here are very much looking forward to doing a better job for you next time.

With warm wishes,

Ben
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We took my mother for her 80th Birthday. We were greeted at the car, shown into the delightful lounge where champagne was waiting for us. The decor and atmosphere are so elegant and tasteful. It is like stepping back in time to an era of courteous care and refinement.

I thoroughly recommend Netherstowe.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
NetherstoweHouse, Owner at Netherstowe House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear “Rebecca O”,

Thank you for your great review and kind recommendation. We hope to welcome you and your mother back to Netherstowe House again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The afternoon tea here is lovely, and not at all rushed. Staff are excellent - courteous and informative. The hotel is only small and rather difficult to find as it is tucked away in a housing estate, certainly not where you would expect to find such an exclusive place. But do make the effort to find it out, it is well worth it.

Dear “BrummieMo”,

Your fantastic review was appreciated by each and every member of the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I organised a breakfast for 10 ladies as a get together before my daughter gives birth. Everything about the service, catering and organisation was superb. I am in hospitality myself and know that the devil is in the detail. We had a private room, beautifully laid up with linen and glassware, a continental buffet breakfast all laid out, followed by our hot breakfast choices. We were met in the car park on arrival and this is something I have only ever experienced at a Michelin starred restaurant before. The staff were efficient, friendly and discreet. Nothing was too much trouble and for £12.50 per person was tremendous value for money. I am sure many of our party will be returning to try the restaurant for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear “MarieStevens”,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us and what a brilliant review it is. We will look forward to welcoming you and your friends back.

Ben and the team at Netherstowe House
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lichfield
Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
Innkeeper's Lodge Lichfield
Oak Tree Farm
Oak Tree Farm
#1 of 1 in Hopwas

Been to Netherstowe House Hotel? Share your experiences!