“Outstanding service”

Ranked #2 of 10 Lichfield B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Outstanding service”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here on Thursday 16 January 2014 and were absolutely amazed at the service, which is second to none. Greeted in the car park by Dan, he offered to take our bags to the room, we booked The Peake room. It was exceptionally clean, nice little touches like fresh bottles milk for the tea and coffee, dressing gowns and slippers and even an ironing board hairdryer. These things ae where the normal hotels are not capturing the market. Dan was exceptionally polite, asked us if we knew the area, if we wanted a taxi, if he could recommend any restaurants etc. Breakfast was fantastic the next morning, beautifully presented and once again absolutely spot on. This hotel is an absolute gem, well done and thank you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Herts,
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I regularly travel to Lichfield , having stayed at numerous hotels and B&B's, I would not stay anywhere else than St Johns House. Beautifully furnished, immaculately presented , good location ( with parking) always welcoming and great breakfasts.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidHerts_
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed in a five star hotel last week. St John's House was infinitely better and half the price. Exceptional service and attention to detail, delivered in a relaxed and informal way. Such comfortable beds. Everywhere spotlessly clean. Breakfast bacon from their own pigs. We're seriously fed up we have to leave.
They also provided a four course meal for 14 members of our family at 24 hours notice; a Chinese themed pork and scallop starter, rump of Staffordshire lamb, apple strudel and local cheese. Fine ingredients impeccably and unpretentiously served. Special touches such as bowls of fresh mango, kiwi and passion fruit at breakfast.
We're never going back to that five star hotel. We're going to come here instead!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We were once again treated so well at this beautiful luxury guest house. The bed was large enough for a large family ~ my husband and I slept really well as it was also the most comfortable one I can remember. Breakfast was fantastic beautifully poached fruits , gorgeous home made jams and the beat eggs with hollandaise in the world. We are always treated well by the Dan and Ellie + their staff and look forward to our next excuse to stay. Thanks Elizabeth and Alan Wadebridge

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ELIZABETHJACKSON
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ok ...I never stay in B&Bs because I do not want to feel
like I am staying in an aunties house...all that creeping around so as not to wake other people.Early experiences in Torquay as a youngster living in Devon on a night out have left me scarred for lifeWhen one is fussy like me this is seriously in my opinion the most luxurious place available if you have a business or pleasure reason to stay near Lichfield
I was nervous as I don't do B&Bs however this is more like a luxury boutique hotel just minor the dinner option ( which I never do because I like to experience the area I am staying in ).I always stay in minimum 4 star mostly 5 star
This is a stunning building ,luxuriously decorated in a way that shows a lot of love and care and respect for the building that has been a priority for the owners.
Regardless of a hotel star rating my biggest issue is that a hotel room can feel oppressed .and not
somewhere where you would want to be for a long period for example if the weather was bad for exploring local sights..not here I could have happily stayed in my room and relaxed
In a nutshell
PROS
quality beds and mattresses...great nights sleep
Real coffee and quality tea
Dressing gowns and slippers
Quality hair care and wash products
Hair dryer
Ironing station
Home cooked breakfast ( I had toast but so wished that I had an appetite for the full English beautifully presented on the next table ) oh and china tea cups
Clear instructions for use of television,coffee machine,recommendations for local restaurants
Great location within walking distance of everything
Beautiful lounge for relaxing ( often a criticism of mine even in 5 star hotels that there is not adequate lounge areas )
Parking
Free Wifi
Immaculately clean
Wine glasses ( nothing worse than relaxing in your room with a nice cheeky red wine drinking out of the bathroom glasses )

CONS
this is really really minor but for ladies who like to wear make up..in the winter there is no natural light in the evening or first thing in the morning so a well lit bathroom mirror is a godsend if not to look like Nanny Mcfee but seriously I managed without and almost feel guilty mentioning it

As you can see I am really impressed ....don't hesitate to book here.i will certainly be back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I booked st johns for my husbands 30th birthday and a planned meet up with friends there. We moved away from lichfield but tend to find ourselves back there frequently as it has a lot of memories for us but st johns is in the perfect spot - right near the train station and the middle of all the 'action' but far enough back from the main road to block out any noise. We were welcomed by a lovely chap called dan who showed us around. All the staff we met were good humoured, polite and approachable during our time there. Our room (peake) was gorgeous, very clean and made us feel relaxed and at home. And the breakfast the next day - amazing! We both had a full english - mine vegetarian and we both agreed it was the best we'd had in a long time. Well done folks! 5 stars from us :-)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Halesowen
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We paid £115 for one night and so judged against others we have used in similar locations within the same price bracket. We also judged against the previous owner which is probably unfair as that seemed more a vocation than a business.

Basically it lacked little touches like face towels, body lotion, heating you could control, note pads and pencils. This may sound petty but I'm a Virgo list maker and so are 1/12th of the population so bite me.

The room was clean enough but not spotless but the under floor heating in the bathroom wasn't working and a light was out in the bathroom. Despite the notice not to steal the toiletries, I wouldn't have taken them with a barge pole. Very poor quality and, I suspect, watered down.

The food at breakfast was excellent except I had to ask another guest to move to get to the toast machine which was, frankly, the same one as in my company restaurant (i.e. staff canteen). I wouldn't normally expect to pay £115 to make my own toast. Also, all guests should be treated consistently regardless of the regularity with which they visit or their accent. That's what's makes new regulars.

If I'd paid £70-80 for this I'd be giving 5 stars but, basically, we paid for the location and the parking.

OK but not fantastic, Nice staff but not amazing service. We probably will go back, for the parking and location, as we can afford to overpay for convenience. Not everyone can, so they need to wise up on the little things that make the difference.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo