“Disappointing Again.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 1709 the Brasserie

1709 the Brasserie
Ranked #12 of 153 Restaurants in Lichfield
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham
“Disappointing Again.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We firstly visited this restaurant when it was Pastiche many years ago. We then had a break for a number of years and returned in 2012 when it was 1709. On this occasion we ate at 9 pm and it was a case of hurry up as you are the last to be served.
We decided to give it another go last weekend as the reviews were positive. Unfortunately, we had the same experience. The food was generally ok however the service let it down. Over the course of 1 hour we had three different waiter/waitresses and were never asked at any point if the meal was ok and did we need anything (ie drinks and condiments etc)
The final straw was as we were eating our dessert they were not only cleaning up but spraying cleaning fluid right next to us.
To top this off when we came to pay our bill we were made to wait whilst staff chatted and the bill was incorrect when it arrived.

We will not be rushing back!

3 Thank BosraSham

• Polish first
“If I could, I'd tip them all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

1709 was a joyful find. For one, the staff worked as a team. Nothing was too much trouble.

The food was excellent, well-presented, fresh and hot. The thought and care that went into every course was evident.

1 Thank Sheppied
Cannock
“Small Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I like it here and I eat here a few times a year with friends and I can't see this changing. I don't enjoy massive portions of food so this should be the perfect place for me, but I always end up hungry after 2 courses. I think the restaurant makes its money on the alcohol, no problem with that but I think they've lost sight of whether the customer is getting enough food. I would like to see the balance change a little bit. As I say I'm a light eater and shouldn't be hungry after 2 courses. However the staff are always really good, friendly and courteous regardless of how busy they are. I like it here.

Alrewas, United Kingdom
“Cheap Chic Cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

A very comprehensive menu of healthy interesting food at an amazing price
Good enthusiastic service and always crowded but that surely is the measure of success
Children and babies welcomed as is everyone

1 Thank 19451985
“Gorgeous food, a little squashed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Excellent food, if you don't mind bumping elbows, service was good despite being busy a testament to the excellent food

• Visited September 2013