“Basic hotel”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lichfield
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This hotel was convenient for us, it is just off the M6 toll, in a complex with a Frankie & Benny's and a McDonalds. It is about a 10 minute car journey into Lichfield itself.

Bad points: The beds are very uncomfortable, hard & wobbly - they feel a bit like camp beds. The baby cot was very old and also wobbly - our daughter is normally fine in hotel cots .. but not this one! The rooms are hot, the window does open but to the sound of the M6. Breakfast is basic - they advertise fresh fruit, but only tired looking apples & bananas were available.

Good points: The room was clean & housekeeping were very good. The shower was good & powerful. Reception staff were perfectly polite.

It is all you would expect from a Holiday Inn. They should really improve the standard of their beds though if they want to compete with Premier Inn and Travelodge.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
CarlaBarratt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lichfield, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Tuesmay_29

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following on from your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express in Lichfield.

I have to say that feedback regarding the comfort of beds is generally positive but clearly in this case we didn't meet with your expectations.

As part of our ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction we take action as a result of all guest feedback. I have asked for the property maintenance manager to check all beds and were appropriate we will ensure faulty beds are replaced.

We are currently working on improving our breakfast offering and I am confident that you will see the results of this in the near future.

Overall I am pleased that you found that the team at the hotel were polite and friendly and that your room was clean and well presented.

I hope to see you again in the future.

Kindest Regards

Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

This is the first time we have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express , we have normally stayed in Premier lodges and we won't be rushing back. Check in fine with pleasant staff , room looked fine at first sight . Bed very hard , minimal t bags left 2 !! Shower effective , cheap loo paper. Good sound proofing but room hot and could not drop temperature . Breakfast a battle , people were waiting ten minutes for tasteless sausages and scrambled eggs !!!! Only two fruit selections for on cereals , pears and grapefruit. Toast kept running out. Definitely understaffed as they were working as hard as they could. Queues of complaining customers at reception saying rooms had not been cleaned etc. a suggestion would be to knock £5 off price , not include a breakfast as there is a McDonalds next door offering a substantial tasty breakfast for £5

• Stayed June 2013
Dear petawendy54

I am sorry to learn that you left after your stay feeling dissatisfied .

I am pleased that there were many aspects of your stay that were positive including the polite hotel team.

As a result of customer feedback regarding the breafaast we have been purchasing additional cutlery and crockery, we have reorganised the breakfast display and have purchased additional equipment to improve the presentation, flow and customer breakfast experience and I am confident that you would see the effect of this on your next visit.

I hope that you do choose to stay with us again in the future.

Assuring you of our best intentions.

Regards

Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is the 3rd year we have used this motel and it is clean and tidy as it was when we went the first time. So far it is not showing signs of heavy usage and age.

Rooms and bathroom were clean. Bed firm but not hard as a board.

Breakfast - help yourself. Limited choice of fresh fruit and cooked items, but all the basics are there.

Booked in advance - £47 for two people/night at weekend Good value in this day and age.

Room Tip: Try to avoid ground floor rooms to get more privacy and less noise from cars being parked and people...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
AlexPrice1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lichfield, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear customer.

Thank you for leaving such a positive 5 star review of your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express in Lichfield.

I am glad that you had such an enjoyable stay and thank you for choosing us as your preferred hotel in Lichfield. We understand how valuable your custom is.

Thank you for sharing a travelers tip. We would always encourage our customers to advise if they have any preferences or special requests and we will do all we can to honor them.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

stayed a couple of times here last week as in the area on business.the rooms i had were always clean and quite comfortable and very quiet.check in staff polite and friendly,bar was quiet and the beer rather overpriced as in any hotel.there are a lot of previous reviews saying how bad the breakfast is,it's not that good,but no worse than in any other holiday inn express,not a fault of this hotel.
all in all for a budget hotel it's NOT THAT BAD.
would use again for business,but probably not for leisure.

Room Tip: had room 117 on second stay,floodlight on building was shining on my window all night.try to avoid i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lichfield, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear timandkathy,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is great that you had a smooth check in and you found our staff to be polite. I regret that you were a bit inconvenienced with the breakfast served. We take all feedback seriously and yours will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I had a great time at the holiday inn with all my friends who were there for the visit to alrewas memorial last year the disabled room was just right for me a little bit small for my big electric wheelchair but hey not everybody has one thats just right for the occasion, the food was ok I heard no complaints to the staff when I was at breakfast, and the staff well they were bloody great no problem at all with any requests and they coped very well with the Airborne Forces visit that weekend, and also come this weekend June 21st they will be bombarded again with the Parachute Regiment lads and wife's when we will be at the memorial at alrewas which is to be an Annual event from now on.

Room Tip: when Booking ask the staff to help you choose the room that you require for Your peace of mind if yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
AlexPrice1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lichfield, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Robbie,

Thank you for leaving a 5 star review.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Lichfield.

We discuss customer feedback on a daily basis and I can assure you that your comments have been shared with the hotel team.

Kind Regards

Matteson, Illinois
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed at this property in May 2013. To say the least, I was very disappointed in the room, service and breakfast. First of all the room was very small for the cost. Being from the US, I expected the room to be a little smaller than I am use to, however, I did expect the quality service associated with the Holiday Inn brand. The room was tolerable because without a doubt, it was very clean. Since there were three of us in the room (and we paid dearly for the third person), the couch bed was let out. This absorbed a great deal of the space in the room. The room was far too small for three people to find any degree of comfort. The mattresses were very thin...the thinnest I have experienced in any Holiday Inn Express.

Since we were in the UK to visit friends and to site see, we did not want to focus endlessly on the short comings in the room. We decided to be in the room as little as possible. We did look forward to breakfast only to be disappointed with that as well. The sausages were over cooked, the eggs dry and the bread often burned every morning. One morning there was no difference between water and the apple juice. That was corrected so my breakfast consisted of juice each morning...nothing else. The coffee is horrible and you will do better to use the freezed dry coffee provided in the room. It is much better. There is a selection of three or four cold cereals, yogurt, bananas, apples and canned pears and grapefruit. If you must eat, go for the cold breakfast and forget what they call an "English breakfast"

Unlike some other reviewers, I found the service to be poor. There was one really pleasant staff person at the front desk each evening. She was the most friendly contact in the hotel that we had.

I will be returning to the UK, but I will select another place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MainIngredient
CarlaBarratt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lichfield, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Lichfield.

I apologise that you found the size of the room too small for your requirements, from experience, the size of these rooms are consistent with other Holiday Inn Express properties in the UK.

Your feedback regarding breakfast has been taken on board and we are looking at other options for food available via our suppliers.

I am disappointed that you found the service to be poor and can assure you that this will be looked into.

Kindest Regard

Carla Barratt
Bexbot
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Me and my fiance stayed here as we were attending a wedding in Alrewas which is very near, and this was the cheapest hotel. We have stayed in many holiday Inn Express's before but this one was one of the worst.
The room was shabby, had to ask for soap and shower gel as it had run out, rips in the sheets and a horrid brown stain on the sofa.
The breakfast was cold, a sausage, scrambled egg and beans - a full English does not make.
The staff were the saving grace, they were polite, kind and really friendly. They couldn't be more helpful.
A disappointing stay but felt very welcome.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express Lichfield.

I am delighted that you found my team at the hotel to be polite, kind and friendly as this is the service that we aim to offer at all times. I shall certainly pass this feedback on to them for you.

I am sorry that there were elements of you room that were not to the standard expected, I shall certainly be speaking with the Head Housekeeper regarding these issues as they are not the standards we pride ourselves on.

With regards to breakfast we offer a complimentary Continental Breakfast with Hot Favourites, and these include Sausages, Scrambled Eggs and Baked Beans. We do not offer a full English Breakfast.

Your feedback is of great value and we will ensure that the negative aspects are dealt with.

Kindest Regards