Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Lichfield(Lichfield)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$61
HIExpress.com
US$209
The Cathedral Hotel(Lichfield)(Great Value!)
US$73
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
US$80
1,103 results
All reviewssuperior roomold coaching innfour posterbreakfast was buffet styletrouser pressold buildingbird streetfree parkingsingle roomcar parkair conditioninglovely hotelgarrick theatrefunction roomsunday lunchself servicelovely city
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Well placed hotel - right in the middle - if you want to see the city or eat out. Pleasant bar, lounge and dining room. Room not so hot - fairly basic and unattractive. Main problem was being woken by the early morning changing of the beer barrels - astonishly inconsiderate to do this in a central hotel yard surrounded by scores of guests. Apart from a shortened night's sleep, although average/mediocre, nothing else was wrong. Good breakfast. I wouldn't advise to avoid this hotel but there are much better ones in the vicinity.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed here overnight while attending a wedding. The room was excellent value for money, and very spacious. It was air conditioned too, which though not needed in October would be useful in the summer. The bathroom was not large, but had everything you needed and it was very clean. Being able to listen to the TV while in the shower was novel! Our room overlooked the main street in the centre of Lichfield, but far a Saturday night, there was very little noise. Breakfast was buffet style, there was adequate choice of breakfast food, cooked, cereals, toast etc. All the staff were helpful and courteous. All in all a lovely night away.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Very nice hotel in the centre of town.Lovely clean rooms, good bed,very nice helpful staff. Stayed overnight for business meeting good conference facilities. Although in the town centre I had a peacefull night sleep as the road is pedestrianised so there was no noise from traffic. Nice homely bar. Breakfast was lovely but evening meal was a bit average. I would definately stay there again but would probably have evening meal elsewhere (plenty of local pubs, restaurants etc) Lovely town with lots of chic shops and the usual high street brands. The Cathedral looked stunning will have a look inside next visit

Room Tip: no complaints from any of my collegues we all enjoyed our stay. it is easier to stay on the first floor otherwise you have a bit of a walk up and down staircases
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank emmajj5
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I'll start with the positives - the hotel is in a lovely location, right in the middle of beautiful Lichfield, the outside of the building looks good, and Lichfield itself is lovely.
That’s pretty much it for the positives..
Check in at the hotel was brisk and quite rude, I arrived fairly late in the evening and received no welcoming smiles from the receptionist who was clearly looking forward to the end of her shift and was quite abrupt. I was told to hand over a card in case of room costs, although I told them that there would be none. I was told that my room was on the second floor, although it was actually on the first floor and I spent ages looking for it through a maze of dirty, noisy corridors.

My room was dark, small and freezing cold, and had a view over a dingy passageway, car park and brick wall. I put the wall mounted heater on straight away, and a small amount of smelly, warm-ish air, was churned into the room, accompanied by a noise that sounded like a jet taking off. I was going out for dinner, so left the heating on full while I was out. When I returned to my room three hours later, the temperature was more bearable and I could turn the noisy heater down.

That night I was kept awake for most of the night with creaking floorboards from guests upstairs, and the noise from hallways and adjoining rooms - the walls are paper thin and you can hear TVs and conversations that are happening all around you. Finally I managed to drift off to sleep, but was awoken by the bin men reversing their lorry up the narrow passageway my room overlooked. The beep beep beeping of the reversing truck and the subsequent racket caused by the crashing of the bins, or whatever it was that they were doing reverberated through my single pane windows and woke me up, at 5.32am.
Every 20 mins or so after this, something else noisy was happening outside the windows - noisy recycling collections (glass bottles smashing into another truck) noisy extractor fans outside the window, and other such noises, until I finally got up, defeated and exhausted, at 6.45am.
Usually, I wouldn’t criticise a hotel for noise happening outside, as they can't really be blamed for my stay coinciding with collection day - however on this occasion it made me very frustrated. Just like the walls, the windows let in all the noise from outside - and weren't suitable for a hotel!

Breakfast was a greasy disappointment, with cold hard bacon and oily fried bread. You had to request any eggs that weren't scrambled, and, although my poached egg was very nice, it took quite a while to arrive, and I'd already finished the rest of my breakfast.

Overall, I was very disappointed with my stay - I won't visit this hotel again, and I'll be recommending that on future business trips, we stay elsewhere. What a shame, for a hotel in such a prime location to be such a disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade - colleagues who complained were put in suites, which were much better! Avoid all rooms between 30 and 40
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Alexandra_1985
Management response:Responded 30 November 2011

Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay. I was most disturbed to read your comments in regards to a number of issues and assure you I put into place procedures to alleviate such problems in the future. I offer my sincere apologies for the annoyance and frustration these issues caused.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed for one night. Must put in 12 Bird Street to get to the hotel as satnav takes you to a big parking lot and then you see the sign for the George Hotel on one wall with an arrow directing you to the smaller parking area for you to stay. We were in top floor in one of the family rooms with 2 children. Had booked a table for us for the carvery and requested gluten free meal for one of our children which was done without hesitation (and arranged prior to our arrival when I requested) Great service throughout the meal. A wedding celebration was ongoing somewhere in the hotel at night as we heard cheers and laughter through the walls - initially hard to get some sleep but we did. Morning breakfast buffet was ok. The host/waitress gave the impression that I was a hinderance and was not very helpful. I did not enjoy my breakfast as it seemed that my requests to her were bothersome. Coffee? Toast? How hard can that be?

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding or event in their banquet/conference room and request a room farthest away from that room. Noise like cheers and laughter carry through the top floor (we were in the family room).
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 30 November 2011

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us and for your kind comments in regards to the evening dinner arrangements. Please be assured I will investigate the issues surrounding breakfast service and I apologise for a lack of customer care shown at this time. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the George in the near future.