“Lovely lunch”

Ranked #30 of 161 Restaurants in Lichfield
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had Sunday lunch here. Set meal has plenty of choice and both starter and main were excellent! Friendly staff and a very relaxing enjoyable atmosphere. The wine was also lovely, maybe next time we will try the cocktails. Would definitely recommend a visit.

1  Thank Hellsbellsh
There are newer reviews for The Wine House

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Popped in after being turned away from Chandlers at 2pm
Glad they turned us away, we had a superb lunch, excellent service, lovely wine. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, it's pricey but well worth the expense.

2  Thank Hoppo74
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This was our second dining experience at the wine house and I'm pleased to say yet another excellent meal. The lunchtime 2 courses for £12 is great value for such good food. Nice pleasant atmosphere, great food and nice friendly staff! I would definitely recommend dining here.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

It is with reluctance that I write this as I had emailed the restaurant with my dis-satisfaction but they didn't reply. As one of a large party I was not the only one to find the menu pretentious and fussy.

Every dish seemed to have been a challenge by the chef to combine as many ingredients as possible and several looked great as you read them, until you got to the fourth or fifth ingredient and thought...yuk. For example, "Confit of 'Middle White' pork belly with scratching dust (pardon?) piccolo tomatoes, haricot purée, apple crisps and brawn jus (no way!).

My cod dish promised garden pea purée, it looked as though someone had coughed on to my plate. Not even a teaspoon full. It also said it contained tempura oysters, I got ONE.

Oh, and I nearly forgot you have to order your side dishes. A tiny dish of buttered, garlic new potatoes, £3.50!

If you want to pose or show off your proto foodie credentials book a table at The Winehouse. However, if you want a good meal there are way better places.

The most positive thing I can say about this place is that it is only a couple of minute's walk from a number fast food emporia. At over £40 per head we should have kept on walking.

MattWineHouse, General Manager at The Wine House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Hi there Celia M,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Wine House, I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your experience here and that you thought that the menu was fussy. We do appreciate and take on board all feedback from customers to try and meet everyone's expectations.
We try to explain all of our dishes on our menu to show the customer what is with each dish and to showcase the innovative dishes that we create using the freshest, most local (where possible) ingredients and premium products. Our aim is to offer a dining experience that cannot be found elsewhere in the local area and something different to the ''run of the mill''.

I would also like to apologise that you did not get a response to your email, we have recently changed our emailing system and website provider, causing all of our outgoing/incoming mail to be offline for a short amount of time. Our systems are now fully operational and we do reply to 100% of our emails.

Once again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience here but I hope you may try us again in the future as our menu changes every 6-8 weeks dependant on availability of fresh produce.

Kind regards

Matt Brain

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Called in for a late Lunch on Easter Monday as many other establishments were closed, we were looked after from the first foot through the door until we left.
The choice on the menu was plentiful without being to over complicated (a pet hate of mine) and not over described. I had the mackerel starter which was tasty and a good start to any meal, my partner had the sweet corn soup that was superb and beautifully presented, a lot more than" just a soup", the lamb three ways was excellent and my partners steak cooked to perfection, with a side order of mash and a couple of drinks, this made an impromptu lunch into a lovely occasion.
Thank you to all.