“Great Night!”
Review of Swinfen Hall Hotel

Swinfen Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lichfield
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I booked this venue for my boss's retirement event. It was fantastic. The setting is lovely, driving down the road in the grounds to reach the hall. We had around 100 guests and had a buffet meal, with both hot and cold food. Food was excellent, and the staff cleared away so quickly and efficiently, we barely noticed that they were there! Same efficienty applied to getting drinks and serving teas and coffees. They organised the tables so that there was no queue for food! We had fireworks and booked their DJ. The staff worked so hard with us so that we could arrange a presentation with the use of a projector and use their facilities for sound and power with the fireworks. It rained (sadly) but they even had some umbrellas to hand. The DJ was brill - nothing was too much trouble for him! The event was seamless, with all my email queries dealt with instantly. I cannot fault the whole evening. Some guests stayed the night and the rooms were lovely with everything that you needed (loved the soft quilts and pillows!). This was my first time organising such an event and I am delighted we used Swinfen as it made my job less stressful! Thanks to all involved. You worked so hard.

Room Tip: Ask for a plan so that you can see the size and location. All rooms are lovely - I saw a range from...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 July 2012

A few weeks ago I attended a wedding at Swinfen Hall with my wife and two young children, one of whom is 8 months old. Our room was setup exactly as requested with a camp bed and space for our travel cot. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we were made to feel very welcome.

Checking in and out of the hotel was a breeze. It literally took two minutes....many hotels can learn from such a simple process.

The food we ate at the wedding breakfast was very good quality if only two of us had been dining, let alone replicating the same standard for the 80 people who were there. Breakfast the following morning was equally as tasty.

Swinfen is surrounded by countryside yet easy to reach from Birmingham. There is ample parking in the grounds.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Swinfen Hall - a very relaxing stay in a great room, with superb service that is attentive without being over bearing. I can't think of anything the hotel could do better. Keep up the great work.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

We got married there, we spent Valentines day there, we stayed there new years eve and now we had our daughter's Christening there.

Everybody loved it, another blindingly brilliant day with superb service. (Even if it did cost me the equivalent of a small family hatchback).

2  Thank Docmatt
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Lovely rooms, lovely grounds, lovely bar and restaurant, lovely staff. Much enjoyed

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2012

A gorgeous Georgian manor house that's now a wonderful hotel, Swinfen Hall is an absolute treat. Friendly staff throughout make you feel special and the public rooms are just amazing, with many mementoes of the family that used to own the property on show in the bar and dining rooms. Our bedroom (the cheapest double but still pricey!) was spacious with great views over the main drive and a good-sized bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and we had free apples, water and biscuits. Tea and coffee facilities were available in the room including a cafetiere and proper milk in a flask rather than those awful plastic pots.

We didn't eat there in the evening but breakfast was impressive - some continental offerings and then a choice of various cooked dishes. Nice to go to a place without the buffet!

The grounds are lovely and include a deer park. We borrowed some boots and went out for a walk around them after breakfast.

Perhaps the only downside of our stay was the bathroom was a bit dated but it was clean - and that is a very minor downside!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This is a well-known and classy wedding venue hotel set in its own parkland but I decided to take my wife there for her birthday dinner. As the car nosed up to the electronic gate it swung silently open; a young lady was waiting on the hall steps to welcome us. Tish was in her sparkly smarts; I never wear a tie for dinner but on this evening I donned a blue linen jacket - smart casual is fine for Swinfen and you will not feel out of place.

We took (excellent) aperitifs in the lounge before choosing a Chassagny Montrachet from a better than average wine list. One of the reasons I had chosen Swinfen was that it does tasting menus for vegetarians as well as meat-eaters - as a veggie, Tish is often disappointed by veggie choices even in good restaurants. We were not disappointed by Swinfen. Attentive staff served dinner in a beautifully-panelled dining room. The tasting menus were varied and delicious and featured amuses bouches, starters, mains and desserts (I think nine courses, from memory).

My courses were lovely and the veggie tasting menu was a big hit with my birthday girl. Outside in the gathering dusk of a late May evening, a fountain played in the par-terre and in the meadow beyond more than 20 roe deer grazed and nuzzled against the post and rail fencing.

The staff were delightful and keen to tell us about the hall's gourmet evenings. Expensive? Of course it was expensive! But as a venue for a memorable birthday dinner it was just about perfect and she-who-must-be-obeyed was purring with delight at the end. I drove her home through the Staffordshire night, brownie points safely sitting in my top pocket.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We chose Swinfen for my daughters wedding because of the beautiful building, extensive grounds. and easy to access location. For the occasion we chose the exclusivity package which meant our family and friends were able to stay over in the lovely rooms (well worth it if you have guests travelling from a long way). Couldn't fault the location, service or quality of food.

Despite the appalling weather it was a great day for everyone and the staff did a wonderful job throughout.

I would recommend this as the ideal wedding venue and suggest anyone interested arrange a visit as you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank BAM057
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lichfield
Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
11 mi away
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Swinfen Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!