“EXCEPTIONAL”

Swinfen Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lichfield
“EXCEPTIONAL”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband and I travel all over the world and run a Luxury 5 star Boutique Bed and Breakfast in Essex. This means that I am incredibly fussy and finding anywhere that lives up to my own extremely high standards is practically impossible, especially in England.

However Swinfen Hall does exactly that, every member of staff that I met was amazing, nothing was too much trouble, early check in, late check out, lemon slices for my tea, vegetarian soup as I was feeling unwell, luggage taken up to our room while I sat outside in the sunshine. It is a beautiful building and the grounds are stunning. Spotlessly clean, huge bedroom and bathroom, mini fridge, separate shower and enormous bath, very peaceful, a great deal of thought and care has gone into making this a very special hotel.

Excellent wine list and menu, including a separate one for vegetarians. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynda h
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear lynda969

Thank you so much for the review you left following your visit back in September. I apologise for delay in replying to you.

It was a pleasure to read your very positive comments, something I can assure you we do not take for granted.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed here for a night recently at very short notice. I asked for a quiet room and was given a glamorous room on the second floor with lovely views. I was able to watch a herd of deer grazing close by. The whole setting was really delightful. My room was very well appointed with towelling robes and nice toiletries. The only downside to the room was the grouting round the bath which was truly disgusting.

Breakfast would have been OK but for my poor choice of hot cooked breakfast. The chef was hardly rushed off his feet as there were few of us in the dining room, but it took nearly half an hour to get my cooked meal. The poor waitress came and apologised twice for the delay. Meanwhile I watched two couples who came into the dining room after me get their cooked meal long before I was served. What the problem was I do not know, but the length of wait was very poor and when the meal finally arrived it was cold. The cold buffet was mediocre and without much choice.

The only other downside was that some of the staff were disinterested. I did my usual thing of being friendly and pleasant but got little back but indifference. A shame as it lets the place down.

Please note that this hotel is a listed building and there are no elevators. If you have a heavy suitcase, get the staff to have it delivered to your room.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper it might be advisable to have a top floor room as it's a very old bui...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear SoniaShoreham

Thank you for the review you posted on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us earlier in September.

I'm glad you liked the room on the second floor and that you got to see the deer, although I do regret that the grouting let it down. I am aware of this issue and it will be addressed.

I was disappointed to learn of the problems you encountered at breakfast. I was not aware of any issues that morning at breakfast but I will speak with the appropriate staff here and I will also raise your complaint at our Management meeting next week.

Your comments in relation to the staff were very surprising. We have worked very hard over the years to put together a team who are friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The standards of service we try to provide are normally very high, so I was saddened to learn that you found the staff indifferent .

I regret that your experience was a disappointing one on this occasion but I can assure you that this was isolated and certainly not indicative of the the norm here at Swinfen Hall Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future. Please contact me directly should there be an occasion and I will ensure you are looked after.

cannock
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We booked swinford hall on a recommendation and we're so glad. We booked for Sunday afternoon tea for my grandmas 90th birthday upon arrival we we're made very welcome. swinford is beautiful even in the rain. The staff we're very attentive. Sandwiches we're a selection of salmon, ham,and cheese. The cakes we're scones, chocolate tart, battenburg, strawberry shot, mmmmmm yummy. The tea was flowing. Music was played in the back ground in a very grand room. Will be visiting again highly recommended

• Stayed September 2013
Hi cassie8Cannock

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Swinfen for your Grandma's 90th birthday.

I'm glad that all went well and you had an enjoyable time with us. I look forward to welcoming you back for the next celebration!....or perhaps come to one of Ladies Lunches or Afternoon Teas.

Kind Regards

staffordshire
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed for one night as a birthday treat my partner booked. These are our thoughts:
Nice room with good bathroom though paintwork and some furniture items looked tired. (The Lichfield Room.) very disappointed that the bed was 2 singles pushed together. Pillows were worn and lumpy. No mini fridge.

Dinner was not up to our expectations. My partners pork was burnt and the potatoes under done. We were the only ones in that evening so no excuse. The very expensive wine had sediment in and should have been decanted. My sea bass main was cold. At the end of the meal the chef produced a nice plate of chocolates and a happy birthday piped in chocolate. Lovely touch.

Staff very pleasant and friendly.
Walking in the grounds was enjoyable especially because the deer are friendly and inquisitive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Hopps4

Thank you for the review you left on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I appreciate you very kind comments in relation to the the staff and the grounds but I was disappointed to learn that your experience of Swinfen overall was a disappointing one.

Your point regarding a mini-bar is one that has been raised by other guests that have stayed with us recently. This is something we are currently looking into. I have already spoken with our Head housekeeper regarding the problem you raised with the pillows. The style of mattress we use is certainly something we will look at as well.

Likewise I have spoken with our Restaurant Manager and our Chef regarding your experience in The Four Seasons. I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual standards.

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments to me. It is greatly appreciated. I do hope you will not be deterred from returning to Swinfen in the future. Should there be an occasion, please contact me directly and I will ensure you are looked after.

Operations manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We were driving south from Scotland to London so chose to stay over here for 1 night. The weather was with us (warm).
"The pluses" - lovely building & gardens & quiet, tranquil and yes even romantic surroundings, freedom to look & walk around. Polite, pleasant staff. Lovely views from bedroom. Seeing many original features still preserved - stained windows, staff call buttons etc. we didn't get a chance to try dinner but breakfast was excellent as expected, using many own estate or locally grown produce.

The "Small surprises" in our room only, the "Patience Swinford" room: internet speed was definitely slooow..."King size bed" advertised was made up of 2 singles put together. Mattresses soft? Mini bar fridge in room would be nice feature but these last 2 points are asides.

Overall a great stay and well recommended if you're in the area! Actually we would give this 4.5 out of 5 stars by UK accommodation & service standards.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dmclean1

Thank you for the recent review you posted on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Swinfen Hall Hotel at the end of July.

I am glad you enjoyed the grounds and appreciated the views. It was great that you got the weather to be able to appreciate them!

We are currently looking into mini-bars for our rooms due to recent feedback from guests who have stayed with us. I will also be looking at the style of mattresses we use for our King Size beds.

We have recently revamped our wi-fi system in the past 5-6 months as we were having issues with the speed. Generally speaking it is not great in the Swinfen area, but I will certainly look into this again and see if we can enhance the speed further.

Thank you again for taking the time to feedback to us. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Swinfen Hall Hotel at some point in the future.

UK
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We attended a wedding at Swinfen Hall. Staff made our room available early at no extra cost so we could get changed, and were helpful and professional throughout our stay. Our room was very spacious and well appointed, with great views over parkland and the terrace with fountains. The bad was comfortable, with a nice firm mattress, and all was very clean.

The hotel grounds are very pleasant for a stroll, and it's quiet and secluded, despite being very close to the A38. Breakfast was good too!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear UkHotelguest

Thank you for the review you placed on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us for a wedding.

I am happy we were able to accommodate an early check-in for you and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying at Swinfen Hall for 3 nights as we were attending a wedding there. As we drove up to the hotel we were blown away by the beauty of the hall and its surroundings. This continued inside as we were greeted with opulence coupled with real comfort.

We stayed in the Patience Swinfen suite and couldn't fault any of the facilities. From the delicious shortbread to the biggest, most comfortable bed, everything was perfect. The room is tastefully decorated in keeping with the age of the hall and yet this is coupled with modern, top-of-the-range equipment including Sky TV. The views from both the bedroom and the bathroom were breathtaking, encompassing the deer park at the back of the hall.

Sitting on the veranda at the back of the hotel, we instantly relaxed as we gazed over the immaculate gardens with their beautiful fountains and onto the deer in the distance. It's became the favourite spot for a G&T or glass of prosecco.

The actual wedding itself was incredible, not just due to the surroundings. The staff at Swinfen are second-to-none. We have never seen such impeccable organisation, efficiency and professionalism while at the same time they are friendly and genuinely welcoming. As I had a role in the actual wedding and had organised a few of the details, I was rather nervous and concerned that everything would run smoothly. I had no need to worry. The staff are unflappable and can deal with any request; nothing is too much trouble. The food is also top quality. During our stay we experienced breakfast, sandwiches on the veranda, the 3 course wedding breakfast and a hog roast and the quality was consistently high. The quality of the home-grown ingredients made for unforgettable dining all round.

Swinfen provides utter luxury without being staid and unwelcoming. We would not hesitate in recommending Swinfen Hall for both a get-away and a big occasion. W cannot praise the staff highly enough and thank them for such an amazing, unforgettable experience. Perfection all round!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Baggage16

Thank you so much for the review you placed on Tripadvisor recently following your stay at Swinfen Hall Hotel.

It was fantastic to receive such positive feedback in relation to various aspects of your stay, from the grounds and the surroundings to the quality of the food - both at the wedding and in our Four Seasons Restaurant.

I was especially pleased with your very kind comments in relation to the staff. We have worked very hard over the years in finding and developing the right people. This has paid dividends for us with our achievement of "Red Star status" from The AA for the sixth straight year - something we are very proud of. Our staff have been an integral part of this process and it is great for them to be recognised by you as well.

I will ensure the team here are made aware of your review (although in the modern day of smartphones, I think the majority already are!). We look forward to welcoming you back to Swinfen Hall Hotel at some point in the future.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lichfield
Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Oak Tree Farm
Oak Tree Farm
#1 of 1 in Hopwas

Been to Swinfen Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!