“Wedding guest experience”
Review of Swinfen Hall Hotel

Swinfen Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lichfield
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night as part of a wedding party. As far as the experience as a wedding guest is concerned it was faultless! Beautiful period property with log fires. Champagne flowed. Wedding breakfast service impeccable - food and service.
The evening buffet of posh fish and chips looked amazing but I was so stuffed from the lunch I couldn't try any.
On the down side was the uninspiring breakfast breakfast the following morning. Limited Items were just about tepid and the chef could apparently only cook 5 eggs at a time which quickly ran out ! What topped it all was there wasn't enought tables and chairs put out for breakfast service and two late rising guests had to be literally squeezed in on an already full table of 8. They were nothing short of sitting on my lap! That shouldn't happen. Just because we were at the same wedding didnt mean I knew them or wanted to get that up close and personal.
On the accommodation side of things
Our room was just lovely. At the front of the house. Spacious and sympathetically decorated. Nice touches such as fresh fruit and hand made biscuits in room aswell as a good tea tray with a teapot and fresh milk. Bravo ! Bed was large and comfy. Bathroom was nice with long deep
Bath and substantial
Shower. Quality toiletries topped the experience off nicely. The room and facilities within are as nice as any 5 star hotel I've stayed in. Staff were welcoming and accommodating. Well done Swinfen hall for and amazing wedding guest experience and providing excellent quality and service.
But please address your breakfast service issues.
Oh and as a post script they do the most heavenly melting kirsch chocolate pud you will ever find on the planet !

• Stayed: November 2013
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear sonnetts67

Thank you so much for the review you posted on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Hall as part of a wedding.

We do take great pride in how we approach our weddings from beginning to end, so the feedback you left was fantastic and a pleasure to read. I will ensure that the team here are all made aware. It was unfortunate that you didn't get to try the fish and chip in the evening!

I am sorry that breakfast was not as it should have been. We do normally set for more than is required, so I will certainly look into what happened here. I will also speak with our Head Chef regarding the our overall offering as well.

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments to me. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Had lunch today....food was ok, nothing special for the price it was and the quantity you received. The staff were very polite and attentive. But it is looking a little tired around the edges. I think there are better places to spend £50 on lunch for two

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank techy

Dear techy

Thank you for the review you posted following your recent visit to Swinfen Hall Hotel for lunch.

I appreciated the positive comments in relation to the staff but regret that the food did not meet with your expectations. I will make our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager aware and we will take on board your feedback.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed two nights at Swinfen Hall and on the whole was slightly disapointed. The hotel's web site states wi fi thoughout the hotel. In the room I stayed in 'Holmes' even the famous detective would have struggled to get any internet connection. In addition you have to ask reception for log in codes (which only last 24 hours) - bureaucratic nonsence. I tried both ipod and iphone and failed to achieve any success in the room and was forced to go to the public area for wi fi which even then was slow. The TV in the room failed to work on the first night and following my complaint the following day was told a wire was loose at the back! That night again failed. Enter night staff who explained I needed to use the remote differently!
On the positive side my evening meal on the first night was excellent and the staff (excepting tech advice were helpful and efficient).
On the second day I ordered a 'full English' and was given bacon that was so thin it was transparent and was slow in being served. The decor of the hotel was in keeping with the age of the property although some of the bedroom furniture had seen better days. Given the cost of the stay expected better

Room Tip: Location not good for mobile phone reception either, although thats not the hotels fault
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Sailingdrummer

Thank you for the review you posted on Tripadvisor following your stay with stay with us recently.

I appreciate your kind comments in relation to the food and service and we will address the issue you raised with breakfast.

It was disappointing to learn you had issues with the wifi. This is something we have worked hard at improving recently given the restrictions we have in the area. I will see if there is anything further that can be done. We do have log-in codes for the wifi - 24hr, 48hr and 1 week. We should have issued you with a 48hr code when you checked ib as you were with us for two nights - this was an error on our part.

I believe there was a loose connection /aerial in the TV on the first night, but it also sounds as though our TV instructions for switching between Digital and Sky were not clear enough. I will ensure this is addressed.

Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention. I do hope you will not be deterred from returning to us.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I visited a wedding in March this year, the food, which consisted of a three course meal and a hot buffet on the evening was fantastic. The service and overall atmosphere of the hotel was also superb.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear TamworthRalph

Thank you for the review you posted following your visit to Swinfen for a wedding back in March.

I appreciated your positive comments about the food, service and atmosphere.

I hope to welcome you back again at some point.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

went here to have a look around as we are looking for a nice venue for our wedding, we stayed for coffee, we were not asked what type of coffee we wanted eg latte, expresso, we were served with a jug of coffee and charged the cost of coffee with home made biscuits which we never got, if they cant get a simple thing like a coffee right i would not risk my wedding day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne Ian R
SwinfenHall, Manager at Swinfen Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear jojo_robbo

Thank you for the review you posted on Tripadvisor following your visit to Swinfen Hall to look around.

I was very surprised by your review. We do a lot of wedding viewings - the majority are by appointment - but we do have a number of walk-in appointments as well and we are more than happy to show guests around where we can. As a general rule, we do offer complimentary tea or coffee without biscuits in these instances. There was clearly a misunderstanding when you came to visit the hotel, hence why you were offered no biscuits and subsequently given a bill. This is certainly not normal and I do apologise for this.

I can assure you we do take great pride in the weddings we hold here at Swinfen and your experience is in no way a reflection of how we look after them. I would be more than happy to show you around the Hall properly and discuss what we can offer for your wedding day.

If you want to contact me directly I can make an appointment and ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed for 1 night mid week. The Hotel did not seem very busy.(Until Breakfast)
We booked a double deluxe. Nothing special. Rooms a little tired as was the bathroom.
You need to be Hansel & Gretal to get from room back to reception, there are no signs to direct you to reception.
Breakfast was very nice, although the poor girl on Breakfast shift was run off her feet we had to ask for butter, we ran out off milk had to ask for coffee, not the service you want when paying good money.
Would I return No.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear shaft24

Thank you for the review you posted following your stay with busy at the beginning of the month. I apologise for not replying to you sooner.

I was disappointed that your experience at breakfast was so negative and I agree that it is not what you would expect from a service perspective. I can also assure that this is not the norm here at Swinfen Hall. I would like to reassure you that I have already spoken with the appropriate staff here and made them aware of your issues.

I am sorry the room was not to your liking. We do upgrade and tweak various rooms, in terms of soft furnishings on an ongoing basis. There are certain rooms which we will be decorating in quieter months like November and early January.

I regret that you feel you would not return to us in the future. Should there be an occasion please contact me directly and I will ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I was lucky enough to be invited to attend a wedding here. What a wonderful place! We ate canapés and drank champagne on the terrace whist the photographs were being taken. Deer grazed in the background and it was quite stunning. The meal was exceptional with very attentive waiters. A day to remember.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear alysonBromsgrove

Thank you for the review you posted following the wedding you attended back in September.

We do take great pride over the weddings here at Swinfen and we are lucky enough to have a strong management team which is backed up by some great part timers So it was great to read your positive comments about the staff.

It sounds like you got lucky with the weather and got to use the terrace, and our deer were also kind enough to come out as well!

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for dinner or one of our special events.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lichfield
Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
11 mi away
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Swinfen Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!