“My Daughter's Wedding”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lichfield
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“My Daughter's Wedding”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My daughter celebrated her wedding there , and I spent a night there. The most fantastic place for a special celebration, and the overnight stay was very good. The Staff were so attentive and kind,and went out of their way to make sure the newlyweds had a wonderful day. .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Colne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Swinfen Hall earlier this week when on business in the Midlands.The place oozes quality and is backed up by fantastic service, excellent food, wonderful rooms and stunning surroundings. Nothing was too much trouble for all the staff who took the extra mile in their stride!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned home from a 2 night stay at the Swinfen Hall Hotel, a birthday treat from my husband. (27 - 28 March 2014).
We have stayed at many 5 star hotels and the majority are wonderful but Swinfen Hall stood out for its welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff, there is just a lovely homely feel about the hotel albeit wonderfully grand.
My husband booked the hotel through Secret Escapes and upgraded to the Samuel Johnson suite, which was perfect, gorgeous views, I loved watching the deer from the windows.
The food in the restaurants was exceptional, I believe many guest have commented on the culinary skills of the chef.
The owners really have got it right at this hotel, ensuring the grand Georgian buildings restoration and in engaging happy professional staff.
I hope we visit again soon, it really made my birthday treat special, thank you.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

A recent two night stay at Swinfen Hall was a most pleasant experience. The house itself is most impressive and has been tastefully restored. The gardens/grounds are beautiful, are well maintained and a joy to wander round. We ate in the Four Seasons restaurant the first night we were there and had an excellent gourmet meal beautifully served. The second night we decided to eat in the bar area. I would say that the bar menu could be improved. Also it is rather difficult to eat a hot meal off a coffee table. (There is only one 'proper' table in the bar). However the service of the meal and drinks in the bar was as pleasant as it was in the main dining room. Afternoon tea was included in our package and the scones and jam were delicious. We loved the real fires in the hotel and the general atmosphere. Our room on the second floor was excellent. The stairs to the second floor are quite steep. Being a listed building there is no lift. This was not a problem. We would definitely like to return to this hotel. The well trained and charming staff make it special.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cirencester
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We recently spent a few days at Swinfen Hall. The whole experience was fantastic. The service was impeccable - all the staff were professional, helpful and friendly. The breakfast, dinner and cream teas were all superb. We will be recommending this lovely hotel to all our friends and hopefully we will be returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in a traditional room (king size) on the first floor. If you have difficulty climbing it...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynne G
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We recently spent two nights at Swinfen Hall and would rate it very highly.
The first impression is of the staff as you check in. Everyone is very friendly and utterly helpful. Nothing is too much trouble.
The room we stayed in was gorgeous. We say the best hotel we have stayed in was a Waldolf Astoria property, but this room was very close in terms of decoration and facilities. It is a great touch that the hotel supply flasks of fresh milk rather than the usual UHT pots and a cafetiere! Haven't seen that any where before.
The cleanliness was perfectly acceptable. I did notice a spider web above the bed and a sort of green alge on the shower screen, but nothing to worry about.
We ate in the four seasons restaurant and were very impressed, particularly as a vegetarian tasting menu is on offer and I have never seen that anywhere else. The combination different flavours show a chef who knows what he is doing! The menus aren't cheap but the quality makes it worth it. The drinks bill was very reasonable for a hotel and it made a nice change not to be ripped of for drinks in a hotel.
The reason I wouldn't go to a five is because I found the room cold - the windows, even when closed tight, are draughty. I fully appreciate the building is old but secondary glazing could be an option. There are radiators down stairs so obviously it would be possible to have those but the heating in our room was an electric heater, not really sufficient for the size of the room and very noisy so there is no why I could have left that on during the night because it constantly clicked on and off as well as being noisy. I managed to sleep on Sunday night, despite the cold but come Monday night the nearby dual carriage way was constantly busy all through the night. Again a definite need for secondary glazing. And that was with the window closed in the colder months, I can only imagine what it would be like in summer!
I know some people wouldn't be as bothered by the cold/noise so I would still recommend Swinfen Hall Hotel but I would maybe consider not having a room at the front of the hotel if I went there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My wife and I visited Swinfen hall for a Champagne Tea on our Golden Anniversary and it was a delightful experience. We were shown straight to our table on arrival in a delightful room overlooking some of the grounds. A choice of tea or coffee (or in my case a soft drink). A plentiful supply of fresh, but rather unimaginative sandwiches, excellent scones and cakes and of course a glass of champagne.
Staff very attentive, offered us more if we required it (we were too full) and all at a reasonable price.
All in all an excellent part of our anniversary day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank welshtraveller42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lichfield
Best Western Lichfield City Centre The George Hotel
The Moat House
The Moat House
#1 of 1 in Acton Trussell
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa

Been to Swinfen Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!