“Badly managed”

The Plough
Ranked #19 of 165 Restaurants in Lichfield
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Plough Inn is a country eatery with traditional values situated in the wonderful village of Huddlesford between Lichfield and Whittington. We sit alongside the picturesque Coventry canal and benefit from easy access along a towpath as well as a number of free moorings. We pride ourselves on our high quality service, tasteful dishes and beautiful, rustic design.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Like most people, I would normally wait a day or two to write a review, giving time to collect my thoughts but probably more honestly prioritising it in my life as reasonably low. That said, I have just stepped through the door with my blood still boiling after the way the manager (Gary for those of you who have had the displeasure of meeting him) spoke to my parents and I.

I was ominous on arrival as my Gin & Tonic was served to me warm with no ice or lemon (having not specified assuming this was a given) but although a cardinal sin that any gin drinker can understand, definitely forgiveable at this point....

I could now list a number of annoyances from this evening attributing to the appalling service we received here, but for the interests of the reader I'll make it quick. Another G&T served in the same state, congealed cheese served as a starter, 45 min wait between starter and main, we asked for more drinks, they never came, food arrived, my mum's looked like it had already been eaten one, drinks still haven't arrived, we asked for condiments, they didn't arrive, I asked again, the drinks still haven't arrived, my steak was fine, the chips were good, the drinks still not here... I think you get the picture.

No quicker as I'd swallowed my last chip my Dad is up at the bar ready to get the bill and get out of there. As we sort removing the missing drinks from the bill with the waitress, Gary comes bowling over and interrupts barking some order... this point was the final straw and my mum asks him to refrain from disrupting her whilst in the middle of serving us - a reasonable request I'd say?! Gary disagrees shouting towards us "I am the Manager. I will speak to my staff when I want to". The rest is a bit of a blur as my Dad and Gary go at logger heads for a little.

NEVER have I experienced such a rude and ill mannered service. Gary you may be the manager but you're a really rubbish one. The food was alright and that's about it.

2  Thank MissCRollo

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked online the day before, when we arrived they didn't have the booking despite having an email confirmation. The manager said it can take 24 hours for them to receive the reservations. I also booked for 5.30 (using a drop down menu) as went with young children, the manager told me they don't start serving until 6pm. Despite this the manager sorted us with a table, but I think we could have struggled if we arrived later on a Saturday evening.
The food and service was great, no specific children's menu, but they could order from the light menu or have a smaller version of the main menu and both virtually cleared their plates of fish and chips (one minor niggle, the plates were scalding hot, would have preferred cold plated for small children). Everyone from 3 to 75 enjoyed their meals, it was good value. It's been 5 years since we have been to the Plough, don't plan on leaving so long again

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Had a meal on Saturday 5th of July. Lamb chops were good and the meal was well worth the cost. Service was efficient and quick, staff always polite and helpful. We will revisit soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Reasonable food served with a nice bit of style, spacious inside, nice décor and country pub feel, good service and decent beers. For a lunchtime get together this was very good, and not too expensive. A standard pub menu is supplemented with a few specials and it felt a sound place to return to.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great food, a warm welcome and a fresh bowl of water for the dogs. Make sure you book Sat evening and all day Sunday to avoid disappointment. A little off the beaten track but having found it, you will definitely be going back.