“Ruined by new management!”
Review of Prince of India - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Prince of India
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We used to always use this restaurant, but not anymore. Every single item of food was cold and soggy. Yoghurt sauce tasted like it had gone off. Keema naans... Well I'd call it just a plain naan bread to be honest! Ordered two poppadoms and only got one. Phone up to complain and staff more or less didn't care. Won't be using this place again. I advise anyone else to avoid this place!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My fiancé and I used to regularly order a takeaway from The Prince Of India...........until tonight. The Balti tasted like it came from a jar, and the naan bread was stone cold. We called with a complaint, and were told that they're now under new management. When notified we won't be ordering from them again, they did nothing to attempt to rectify the situation. Stay well away!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

It's not really fair to review this restuarant as the new owners took over just a few days before our visit. I think they're aware that the place need a spruce up and they are indeed closing for a few weeks to do the place up.

The service was friendly and helpful which bodes well. The food was (in my case) passable but I think it needs a bit more skill and quality. They do a 'buffet' at around £8 - but if you're expecting to go up as much as you like and select from a range of food as is normal when the word 'buffet' is mentioned... you'll get a surprise (like me) - it simply means you pick what you want off the menu and it is cooked and brought to you. Okay! a bit of misleading wordage but it's still good value. I had the lamb chat which was beautiful (no puree or small puffy chapatti thing to go with it tho) my partner had the mixed grill but found the lamb tikka pieces a bit tough.
Round two - main course. I had the lamb jalfrezi and found some of the lamb a bit tough. It seemed a bit overly 'oniony' and the onions weren't as well cooked as I would have liked, also there was a fair few small green chillis which were whole and , again (to my mind) not fully cooked so I took them out. I can't recall what my partner had but she liked hers...as I say mine was okay but could have been a lot better. The nans are very small - should be a bit bigger for the price.My partner had the coffee which appeared to be out of a jar. I passed on the desert as they had no plain vanilla ice cream (which...it's just me... is my way to finish a curry!) and I didn't fancy kulfi.
The place has obviously got a bit run down and as well as a freshen up, I think they need to improve the quality of the food a bit...possibly find a new meat supplier as well as the cooking skills.
I will go back when it's refurbished - provided they don't jack the prices up too much to pay for it and will hopefully be able to give a more accurate review when they're up and running properly

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Great food really enjoyed it and was surprised you could bring your own drinks, a good take away too at a later date, just wish the decor was a bit brighter otherwise a great curry house.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This 'restaurant' is up some stairs opposite Wilko’s..................and oh blimey it looked so awful that we didn't hang around for the food so I cannot comment on the quality of the meals. It was really dark and dingy, there were very few people in there (always a telling sign) and the carpet was rank. They sat us down and handed us 3 filthy, tatty old menu’s. Then I noticed that everyone seemed to have cans on the tables so we asked if they were licenced (as we hadn’t got any drink with us) and the manager came over to say yes they sold cans of Carling for £1. The manager was NOT a good advert for the place - untidily dressed with scruffy hair, tatty clothes and the dirtiest jumper ever – it was covered with stains all down the front; goodness knows what the stains were or how long he’d been wearing it yuk. So there was no draught beer but he offered me rose wine. So the choice was a can of Carling or a glass of rose. I didn’t want either and by this time my husband had decided he didn’t fancy eating there either so he said we’d go and get something to drink and come back. The waiter said no need we’ll go and get you something but we made our excuses and legged it out of there! Just awful. As I say, I cannot comment on the food but if they are happy to project such a dire front of house image to potential diners, I can't believe their kitchen is nice and clean or their hygiene standards very high.............Avoid like the plague!!!