“Great British Classic with a modern twist ”
Review of Ernie & Isabellas - CLOSED

Ernie & Isabellas
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great quality fish and chips! Relaxed atmosphere and friendly service. A very enjoyable experience, would definitely recommend.

There are newer reviews for Ernie & Isabellas

Reviewed 9 July 2014

What a great place. This is a fish and chip cafe with table service and an alcohol licence. The atmosphere is great and decor pleasant. It opens between noon and 8pm (8.30 at weekends)

The menu offers the usual fish and chips which are excellent - succulent fish and light, fluffy batter with twice cooked chips. The medium portion that I had was a perfect size for me. Home made tartar sauce with chunky gherkin pieces was good.

My partner had the fish pie which just comes with a smear of mushy peas so someone with a larger appetite might want a side.

There are a range of other mains on offer including haddock and other fish with salads as well as mussels and burgers. It seems wrong somehow though not to have fish and chips.

The puds are clever. They have wonderful Salcombe Dairy Ice Cream - my favourite. You go to the counter and order a Sundae to your own specification picking from a range sauces and toppings. A big kid's dream and a clever idea. Simple but the quality is there. The pud of the day, which I sadly had no room for, was bread pudding and custard.

There is a wine list, a good but small range of bottled beer and tea or a cafitiere on offer.

The prices are reasonable, 2 mains, 1 pud a coffee and two beers cost us £25 and so many miles better than a chain. The waiter was friendly and efficient and the service good. We left feeling we had made the right choice for our early supper. So simple and done so well!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stopped in to eat on a spur of the moment. We were greeted by a smiling blonde lady who instantly made us feel welcome and at ease. My partner and I were suprised at the pricing on the menu. Everything was so reasonably priced and it was a comfort to know it wasn't going to blow a hole in the bank balance. We both ordered fish and chips and drinks. The drinks came over straight away and the food wasn't far behind. The presentation was lovely. It was a nice touch that the beans and mushy peas were in a small bowl and not all over the plate. The fish was perfectly cooked and just melted in the mouth. We were also offered homemade tartar which we tried. It complemented the fish beautifully. The chips were also delicious and had so much flavour! Easily the best fish and chips I've ever had. The decor is lovely and the service second to none. Ive lived in Lichfield for over 10 years and places like this are hard to come by. A real gem! We had a great experience and will definitely be back!!

2  Thank ascharah
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My friends and often meet up for a meal in Lichfield . First visit here and we were all disappointed. We ordered starters which were ok,just ok, main meal was extremely disappointing . We did order the smaller portions but didn't think it was child's portion. We all had half a small fillet and the chips were very poor. The bread was stale and although we usually just have two courses we had a sweet and that too was very basic. We were served by a gentleman in jeans and he took our order and our money and no other communication. The food was edible but only just. We have visited most restaurants in Lichfield and when there are a number of you not everyone agrees on the food ,service etc but we all did on this occasion so will not be returning.

2  Thank fionmckwn
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Tried this restaurant a little while ago now, but really impressed with what I found. The chips in beef dripping are to die for and the light batter compliments the fresh fish perfectly. The fact you can have a glass of wine is never a negative - but here it works brilliantly. If i had to point out a negative, it would be that the atmosphere wasn't amazing as the restaurant was fairly empty, however I'm sure if we try again on a weekend night then that won't be the case. Needless to say, that won't stop me coming back though as I thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service.