“Lichfield's finest pub”
Review of The Duke of York

The Duke of York
Ranked #50 of 162 Restaurants in Lichfield
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Not too sure about other negative reviews posted but in my opinion the best pub by miles in the town.

On every visit you are greeted by friendly knowledgeable staff that will gladly advise you on the beers you can choose from. To complement the great selection of joules beers always available there are 1 or 2 guest beers as well as what is probably the most extensive selection of whisky in the area. The atmosphere ranges from a quiet daytime local where you can nurse a pint whilst catching up with your paper to a busy weekend pub packed full.

As for the pub's policy on under 18's... it's clearly marked on every entrance so if you don't see the signs it's your own fault! A policy I applaud as personally I can't stand kids in a pub.

6  Thank adski1970

Reviewed 10 July 2014

....seems to have some kind of attitude problem and I can only think it must just be the way she is towards everyone.

She doesn't say "Hello", doesn't look up to see whose next, points to you rather than asking "What can I get for you?", never says "Please" when taking your money or "Thank you" when giving you your change. I've been in here on numerous occasions and always receive the same "Welcome" as this from her. So this I would class as an attitude problem.

The rest of the bar staff all seem very nice though and customer service orientated.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the pub, I like the ales, I like the ale festivals they have, but the landlady just doesn't keep me going back as regularly as I would like to. (She actually keeps me away). So this is why I'm rating it one star.

Its worth noting that I've never started a ruckus in this pub (or any pub for that matter) in my entire life, so there really is no reason for this type of attitude.

Now that "Samuels" in town is becoming a Blue Sack/Joules pub (Also being renamed 'Angel Inn' - Completion due Sept 15th 2014) there will be no reason to drink in the Duke Of York at all unless attitudes change.

7  Thank Luap123
Reviewed 6 May 2014

...and a comfortable atmosphere. Visit it a least once a month. Always pleasant and welcoming. Worth a detour.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

dogs ARE welcome even a rather noisey English Bull Terrier of My acquaintance LOL. Great beer some would say rather basic but it is what it is a pub and at that it is great

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Very disappointed and a little annoyed that the pub does not clearly highlight its policy with respect to the admission of children. I have no issue with respect to the fact that no children are allowed; however I am concerned that the policy is not clearly displayed. My family and I walked across town to visit the pub (with guests from Canada) to be turned away. The experience left somewhat of a bad taste in the mouth..

1  Thank StevenG123