“Great pub, great beer, proper pub food”
Review of The Duke of York

The Duke of York
Ranked #51 of 163 Restaurants in Lichfield
Reviewed 9 August 2014

A friend of mine commented that the Duke had got some mixed reviews on TA so I thought I would take a look at them and then add a few thoughts of my own. I have lived in Lichfield for over 20 years and have visited every pub in town at one time or another ( as someone who earned their living in the trade rather than as a regular drinker, I should add ). Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a pub and those who are less than happy with their experience will always - and rightly - vote with their feet. The Duke will tick all the boxes for those users who like a traditional pub experience with good quality beers and a good atmosphere generated by fellow customers rather than sound systems or Sky Sports. The staff are friendly and are certainly a match for other pubs in town, and one or two are particularly good in terms of speed of service and a welcoming face.

1  Thank Simba0ne

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I'm staggered by the negative comments, having visited 'the duke' on a number of occasions over the past 4 years I can honestly say I have never encountered such service as mentioned. I have always found the staff... Including the landlady to be polite, friendly and helpful. The pub offers a great range of quality real ales and ciders in a traditional charming, music free environment, which personally I prefer. The owners (Paul & Wendy) know the business inside out, and strive to ensure their customers are looked after, regardless if they regulars or the occasional visitor.... Quality service, delivers quality product.... An outstanding pub experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Here goes my first ever TripAdvisor review! Having read the two most recent reviews for The Duke of York I feel it is only fair to provide a more balanced review of the pub, it's staff and customers. The pub has a warm relaxing and welcoming atomosphere all year round. The garden provides a lovely place to sit with friends and while away the summer and equally when the fires are lit during the winter it becomes a snug place to be. It is also dog friendly, and does have a strict No Under 18's policy that suits me just fine! I agree with Vic100 that when there is only one member of staff working it can mean having to wait to be served, whether that is due to other customers being infront of you, cellar duties having to be addressed or Pork Pie orders to be sorted... being a frequent and regular patron of the Pub though I simply do not believe your statement that you've 'lost count ' of the amount of people who come in and leave without buying a drink, it is simply not true. This is something the owners will have to address if THEY feel it is necessary. Turning to the personal scathing remarks that HannahMenfords has felt the overwhelming urge to Troll on a Sunday, a) how do you know who lives above the pub?, and if you do, then round of appluase for hiding behind your keyboard b) you would NEVER have had to wait 20 minutes while the cats mother was in the kitchen it is simpy not true c) you must have the most amazing hearing as there isn't a table in the garden nearer enough to the kitchen to hear anybody speak let alone swear, and finally d) You quote "As said before everyone else seems lovely and has great customer service" No you didn't say that before????? You appear to have a very personal problem with one member of staff and if this is how you behave then quite frankly I hope you don't come to the pub more often, being a regular I'd take a dislike to having to share my oxygen with such an opinionated atrociously behaved individual, believe you me there are other members of staff who's behaviour beats this hands down in the unacceptable stakes. This is one of Lichfield's best, shame that a couple of people have caught it at its worse (obviously not on a scale of war or natural disaster worse, but all the same such horrific circumstances they feel the need to share their experiences). I can guarantee a good pint, excellant whisky menu, lovely food. staff and customers alike. Long live the Duke!

2  Thank Rachel W
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I love this pub, however, there is one Lady who lives above the pub that has the most atrocious behaviour problem. I have started to only come in when she's not working after I waited at the bar for 20 minutes while she was in the kitchen doing god knows what.

Not only this but one night I came in and overheard her swear from the kitchen window. This is extremely unprofessional and I would go in a lot more if she wasn't working there.

As said before everyone else seems lovely and has great customer service. The atmosphere is great and the garden is wonderful.

1  Thank HannahMenfords
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I reviewed this back on 2nd January this year and stuck with it until about a month ago. I was going in at the same time every week....early doors on a Tuesday

The service is dreadful....lost count of the people who come in and leave without buying a drink....the place is rarely busy and yet the bar staff....two ladies in particular....not to be confused with one that arrives at 7pm and seems to shake some life into the place....they are seldom behind the bar, off somewhere shuffling crisps or meddling badly with the log burners....but get a drink you can't

We have simply given up and moved on.....to stand and wait when the pub is not busy is simply not acceptable....the land lord or land lady are never seen and it shows....if this was my business I would be simply appalled!

Can't speak for other times of the day but for the two hours I go it simply does not work

4  Thank Vic100Lichfield