“Great Value, Service slow”
Review of Chandlers Grande Brasserie - CLOSED

Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Chandlers has now changed to McKenzie's Restaurant under new ownership. They are iopen all day from Tuesday to Sunday serving freshly prepared dishes. The steaks we serve are only from cattle and butchered in a way to make them as tender as possible. The Corn Exchange is a beautiful building with a large chandler taking centre stage. There is no need to book but advisable during peak times. Sunday we offer roasts and there is a family friendly policy here with children treated as little people.
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

It has been a couple of years since my last visit and I was pleased to see they had lowered the prices both for food and wine more in line with a brasserie style restaurant. It isn't fine dining, but certainly lovely food with a comprehensive menu. My first choice of wine was corked but the waiter replaced immediately with no fuss. The only disappointing moments of the evening were the wait for the sweet order to be taken and the fact we had to go up to the bar to get the bill paid after asking 25 minutes before for the bill. Some of the young waiters are excellent whilst others appear slightly inexperienced or certainly only interested in their pay cheque. Overall good value for a relaxed informal night out

Reviewed 19 April 2013

A friend of ours recommended Chandlers to us so we have it a whirl. We went for the lunchtime menu and what an excellent menu it was. We both went for sautéed mushrooms as a starter, which, frankly was absolutely superb. The wife plumbed for the duck, I had the lamb burger. These were well prepared by a chef and not dragged out of a freezer and thrown in a microwave. Desert was of the same standard. So thanks for the recommendation to our friend and thanks to Chandlers for a great meal.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Having been before chose Chandlers for a Birthday treat but was very disappointed. Picking from the special menu... but it when it arrived it was far from special. At £21 a T-bone steak appeared, with few tiny bits of mushroom and bacon in a butter, with no other garnish. It was then necessary to order 'sides' and for £2.50/£3.50 per smallest serving we have ever experienced. One of our chosen sides we ordered was carrots and beetroot, the dish held one carrot cut into 4 long slices and 4 pieces of beetroot. The chips and bean side helping was much the same. This had now amounted to one average meal costing £29. Sadly not value for money in quality nor quantity. Sadly all in all far from our experience of previous visits.

1  Thank Spencer320
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife and I went to Chandlers for a birthday meal and ended up both choosing the fixed price menu because the selection appealed to us (plus it was good value).
I started with a warm ceasar salad, which was tasty and extremely meaty. This was followed by seared swordfish steak and stir fried veg. - the steak was good, but the stir fried veg was oily/greasy. Spiced pear crumble rounded my meal off nicely. My other half had the ceasar salad as well followed by portobello mushroom and gnocchi which was very nice.

Despite living locally, it is many years since we had visited Chandlers, not sure why, but there you go...Based on this meal, will probably be back sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Visited this restaurant for lunch with our 3 year old grandson. He was able to have fishfingers and chips for his lunch, which he loves. My husband and I both had starters and asked for our grandsons meal to be served then as we knew he would still be eating when we had our main meal. No bread with our starters which we had to ask for. then asked for butter. The meal itself, as the main meal, was very mediocre. There were only 4 other tables being used, and considering it was a Saturday, this is surprising but speaks volumes. There were 2 waitresses, 2 people on a computer in the corner and 2 people behind the bar. The waitresses were next to useless and walked past our table several times even though I had piled the empty plates up for them. We did not have a sweet but ordered a knickerbocker glory for our grandson. They brought it with the biggest desert spoon I had ever seen. Bearing in mind our grandson is 3, perhaps a bit of commonsense would have prevailed. Had to ask for a teaspoon. Perhaps they could train their waiting staff - after all these girls were young. We would have eaten at one of our other favourite restaurants but as we hadn't booked, we couldn't get in. Shame.

1  Thank Sue A